429 Banff Avenue, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1B2, Canada

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• cybercutie's Profile Photo

Great for a weekend with the gals...or guys...

this is the place my girlfriends and I usually stay when we go to Banff...they have rooms wher eyou can have up to six people, and if you manage to get a treasure chest coupon (see tip on Calgary page), you can pay $13 per person. It is down the street from the main strip, and although its not the Hilton or anything, its really cute, has a ggod view of the city, and very clean and well kept. ItThey even have undergound parking, and it is a scenic walk, or a short cab drive (if you had too many road pops) to the night clubs on the strip.

More about Irwin's Mountain Inn

Nice but basic

by TripAdvisor Member mcscottie

Just returned from a fantastic week in Banff. The Irwins Mountain Inn was small and basic, it reminded me of a travel lodge. However was very clean and tidy and the staff were helpful.

The hotel has an excellent location on Banff Avenue, just a short stroll from the shops, bars and retaurants. The ski bus stops right next door at the red carpet inn, so a short stroll in your ski boots to catch the bus!

Excellent, friendly and well situated

by TripAdvisor Member grizzli2

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Irwins mountain Inn during a recent trip to the Rockies. We found the staff to be friendly and accomodating and our room was big, with 2 Queen size beds, ensuite and kitchen area. The breakfasts were free, which was a real bonus, and there was no shortage of good coffee, juice, cereals, toast and muffins. All in all a great place and we would definitely recommend it.

Great hotel if your on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member Bangers&Mash

I've been to Irwins Mountain Inn four times now and I highly recommend it. Here's a breakdown of what to expect on arriving there...

Location

Literally a five minute walk from the Town centre situated on Banff Avenue. There is a bus stop close to the hotel where you can get free transport to all three ski areas. My tip on choosing a hotel is you don't want to be to far away due to the extreme temperatures which did reach -40 the first time I went, this can be painful, I must stress it's not always like this thoe. Check weather reports before you go.

Rooms

Every time I arrive my room always has two large double beds, a fridge and TV. When booking your trip request a balcony, you will be rewarded with stunning views. My room was cleaned every day and never encountered problems.

Breakfast Area

They have a free continental breakfast which includes toast cereals, juices, fruit, muffins, coffee. There is a restaurant next door that did serve some fantastic breakfasts which is now closed in the morning, shame really, quite enjoyed the pancakes.

Hotel Staff

I didn't encounter any problems, whenever I asked for their advice they were always eager to help. I mainly asked to change bank notes, supply an Iron for my clothes, and that's it, they always seemed friendly enough.

Other amenities

There's a sauna and hot tub which is great to relax in at the end a day on the slopes. There's also a coin laundry and an area store your ski's or snowboards. If you need to check your emails there's internet access for a small charge.

Anything negative to say?

I've read on one review of someone having a noisy neighbour. I think where ever you go you will encounter some noise at some point. If the noise is excessive ask the staff to move you. Some friends of mine had this last time I went and they got moved straight away. I did have one loud Scottish guy talking to his Mother at 3 o'clock in the morning which bugged me but that's it. There's lots of egos in places like this, and people want to have fun and they will fool around, it certainly didn't spoil my stay there, my tip is ask the staff to move you if your unhappy.

Conclusion

Irwins is a great place to stay if you want to keep the costs down. It's an ideal spot to be in with great rooms, a sauna and hot tub. I would definately keep going there as it's great value for money.

Pleasant hotel, avoid the restaurant like the plague

by TripAdvisor Member BucksWanderers

Stayed just one night in a very good sized room at a very good price. Highlight was the visitation by a mother and two baby mule deer while we were having breakfast. Parking a bit tricky - underground and you need the combination to get the door to open - then it's very tight. Agree with other reviews about lack of variety in continental breakfast but it was quite edible. However, the restaurant next door was quite unacceptable. We had to walk through the restaurant to get the waiter out of his newspaper to bother to show us a table. When our bill came, we had been charged for a much dearer main course than we had ordered. It appeared that the dearer main course had been served and we were made to feel that it was our fault for not sending it back straight away. We were also not given our discount for being hotel guests. The food was greatly overpriced and certainly not worth the money. Use the hotel for good value for money but walk a few yards down the street to any one of several other restaurants within a few yards.

Very Nice Hotel with Friendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member arf68

I had an enjoyable stay at a great rate at this hotel. The room was large, with a nice king-sized bed--very comfortable mattress. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The bathroom was fine but could use an update. Breakfast was basic but did the trick.

This hotel is not high luxury, but everything was good and decent. Great rates and friendly staff make the difference. I will return.

Great little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DaveHarper

We've stayed at Irwins on and off for the last 8 years and it has always been a good value for money, clean and friendly hotel not unlike a UK Travelodge in quality. Recent refurbishment has smartened up the rooms and lifted the general standard of the place. The staff have always been helpful and pleasant. Some rooms have basic cooking facilities which makes it great for families on a budget. The 6 person jacuzzi hot tub is welcome at the end of a ski day but unfortunately the hotel does not have a bar, so you need to go out for a drink. Fortunately there's a Safeway 5 minutes walk away so you can buy all you need from there! There is an adjacent restaurant and it's OK but not somewhere you'd necessarily recommend. It takes about 15 minutes to walk right downtown which isn't too bad and the upside is that it's a lot quiter away from the downtown hustle on an evening. My only complaint has been that there is an ice-maker\cold drink dispenser at the stair well end of each floor and these are noisy beasts, especially if you're in the room at that end! Having said that, provided they gave me a room away from the stairs I'd go back to this hotel without hesitation.

coach parties have no alternative

by TripAdvisor Member Denis_Linda

My wife and I stayed at the hotel June 07 - the bedroom was small, the bathroom was very small the wash basin was out in the main room. The bed linen was marked and torn, it looked dirty. Having asked for a room with a mountain view we were given a view of a tour bus parked right outside the room. Breakfast was supposed to have been available but with coach parties staying lines ran out and no coffee. The hotel is very tired stair carpets torn. In parts the hotel was quite dirty. The air con. did not work . The reception staff were courteous apart from one, a relative of the owner I was told who held back our cc details with the threat of charging us for any breakages. They have a 48hr cancellation policy which in effect they can charge you for the room for at least 2 nights if you decide not to stay. I would not recommend this hotel to any one --D & L South Gloustershire , England

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Tara1977

I stayed here in June for a week whilst in Banff. I found the rooms large and comfortable with all the standard things you would expect to find : tea & coffee, TV etc. The bathroom was rather dated but that wasn't an issue to us. There is a complimentary breakfast which is great to get you ready for the day ahead. The location is also excellent - only a five minute walk to town and based on Banff Avenue. Overall considering how cheap this property is I was pleasantly surprised with what we got for the money. Highly recommend if you are after a comfortable hotel, in a good location, at a reasonable price in Banff.

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member jojobiggs

Banff is an overpriced town that caters to the tourists. So, Irwin's is overpriced for what you get, but unless you're camping, it's not a bad deal for the town. The staff is alright; a bit stoned but alright. The sheets were clean and they have underground parking, which I never thought would have been a big deal, but it is in this town. I'd stay there again only if the campgrounds were full.

Comments