545 Banff Avenue, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1B5, Canada
Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Banff

Downtown main streetsDowntown main streets

Western Anemone at Peyto LakeWestern Anemone at Peyto Lake

Banff National ParkBanff National Park

The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.

Visiting Banff the last wk of Dec

by nycgem28

A friend and I will be visiting Banff for 4 days during the last wk of Dec. We will fly into Calgary and head straight for Banff. Could someone please advise if you would rent a car or go entirely via public transportation? Am aware of the shuttle that I could take from the airport. I don't mind driving and like the idea of driving around Banff and nearby area but unsure if the road conditions would making driving difficult.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on lodging - nothing fancy, just clean & safe.

Thanks!

by GrumpyDiver

It really depends on your plans. I was there just over a month ago and there was snow on the ground in the higher parts of the park. Many of the roads were already closed for the season and there was construction north of the town of Banff. The main roads should be fine, so long as you are not in the middle of a snow storm. Getting out of the town proper and seeing the beauty of the park is well worthwhile.

I was in Calgary on business, and was actually there on a day trip (I drove), so I can't recommend any specific accomodation. Last time I did stay, we stayed just outside of the park in Harvie Heights, because it was far less expensive there, but I really don't know what the situation is like now. I understand that Canmore has gotten a lot more pricey than it used to be.

Thanks, Grumpy Diver.

It's so hard to decide if I should rent the car or go with public transport.

by GrumpyDiver

If it were any other time of year other than winter, I would not hesitate in suggesting you drive. I've never been to Banff in the winter, so really don't know what it is like.

That being said, places like Lake Louise and Peyto Lake should be visited, and car is the best way to get there, if you have the time to do it.

by xymmot

It is cold up there, but I myself would still drive. I always feel like a second class citizen with out a auto unless I am in a populated city where public transport is everywhere. Baniff is country to me and wide territory to cover.. IMO...I rent a car. If the road condtions get too tough, you can always return the vehicle or park and take public transport. Beautiful country, enjoy Cheers Tommy x

by IdreamIam

I agree with driving yourself, where you are going is beautiful and the roads are well maintained.

by nycgem28

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I've made a car reservation. Now just need to pray for good weather :)

by GrumpyDiver

Excellent! - Enjoy your trip and just have an alternative plan(s) in case the weather is acting up at some point.

by nycgem28

Rented a car and am glad I did. My friend and I got as far as the Columbia Icefields. The highways were clear and the weather cooperated. Beautiful area. Will have to return in a different season to get a different perspective.

Thank you all for your feedback.

by xymmot

Glad you got the car and drove out in the country wth no problem. I wouldn't know what to do without one there. Cheers Tommy x

Travel Tips for Banff

WILDFLOWERS

by balhannah

We visited the Rocky Mountains in June, and found that at this time of the year, when a lot of the Snow had gone, the wildflowers had begun to flower.
By mid-July, everywhere in the mountains, you will see hillsides and meadows blanketed in a huge array of colours.

Although there are flowers from as early as late March through until
mid-September,
the peak flowering time in Banff National Park at all elevations is from mid-July to mid-August.
Of course, different species are flowering at different times.

The photo is of a Western Anenome which was flowering in profusion at Peyto Lake.

Banff Avenue

by Blatherwick

Cascade Mountain dominates the main street in Banff known as Banff Avenue. There is plenty to do along the street with tons of restaurants, pubs and shopping. As you walk down the street you can take in the views of the surrounding mountains. Spectacular!

Before you venture

by 8BALLUK

The Banff Information Centre
This is a must before you venture into the unknown. You will find out everything you need to know about Banff.
The Centre is located on Banff Avenue where Wolf Street crosses it.
You can get usefull information here as well as maps and guide books.

Ferret In Central Park, Banff

by Mikebb

Walking through Central Park alongside the Bow River we came across a ferret running along the lawn. Then we saw a young man some distance away call the ferret and it immediately returned . We watched for 3 or 4 minutes as he played with the animal, it crawled all over him.

The park is located at the end of Banff Ave alongside the Bow River and is a great place to relax, walk along the riverfront or have lunch.

Perspective: snowmobile vs. humans

by Sharrie

Here, you get a glimpse of the sheer size of the icefield by looking at the size of the snowmobile. Check out those guys right at the corner of the picture & you'll know what I mean. To get some perspective, scroll down & you'll see a picture of me with the gigantic snowmobile! Now, you get it?!

Comments