Tunnel Mountain Rd, Banff, Alberta, T1L 1B1, Canada

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• taryn21's Profile Photo

Good Campground in Banff

When in Banff, I stayed in the Tunnel Mountain Village I campground. It is only a kilometer or two out of town, very convenient. It was nice and quiet. You don't need to make reservations, this campground has over 600 sites. It was $22 CDN per night for a site without a fire or electrical.

• VTShounen's Profile Photo

Luxuriously remote

Located on Tunnel Mountain, it's among a cluster of hotels (and hostel) that's a bit far away from the action of the centre of town. Which is not to say that the 10 minute walk into town or a short bus or cab ride makes this place inconvenient. On the higher-priced end, these individual chalets are all big and spacious. One time I stayed in the executive suite, complete with a steam bath and heated stone slab floor.

Unique Quality: Quiet, relatively secluded location - wake up to bird chirps instead of traffic noises.

Directions: Follow signs for Tunnel Mountain. At the intersection of Tunnel Mountain Drive and Tunnel Mountain Road.

More about Tunnel Mountain Resort

Not worth a dime

Never again will I subject my family to the "ghetto" like conditions of a condo at Tunnel Mountain Resort. Peeling paint, chipped counters and bad service from the staff were just some of our complaints.
We will stay elsewhereon our next trip to Banff.

The Executive Suites are ideal.

My husband had been to Banff before, but it was a first for me! The executive suite we stayed in for 2 weeks had a microwave/fridge and good sized tv. The room was clean and regularly serviced each day. The only criticism I would have is that housekeeping don't check that they have locked the door properly after cleaning! After a couple of moans they got the gist! Tunnel Mountain Resort is situated just outside downtown Banff which is great. If you don't have a car not to worry, it's a short walk into town and reception are more than happy to call a taxi for you. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Tunnel Mountain Resort. I felt relaxed, it was nice and quiet and the steam shower and jacuzzi bath tub were just the business...well needed after a hard day's fantastic skiing at Sunshine Village.

Loved the Executive Suites

by TripAdvisor Member redwhyne

During a recent trip to Banff, a friend and I stayed in the newer wing of Executive Suites located at the Tunnel Mountain Resort. We were very pleased by our room. We did not have a full kitchen, but we did have a wetbar and microwave which was all we needed. We had a small balcony with chairs where we were able to watch the deer on several occassions. The sofa was leather and very stylish. The fireplace added a perfect touch in the evenings. The countertops were granite and we had lovely ammenities in the bathroom. We both felt that our room was an excellent value for the money and we would gladly stay here again.

Great place to stay !!

We spent 6 days in beatufiful Banff and our choice of lodging was the Tunnel Mountain Resort. Plans were made for this trip in March 2005 with a lot of research on the web. When we arrived at Tunnel Mountain we had one of the newer Executive Suites. Wow were we pleased .. much more than anticipated! King bed, large television, fireplace, balcony, coffee, microwave, refrigerator, Jacuzzi tub and a steam shower. Both the shower floor and double sink vanity floor were heated! The room was exceptionally clean and kept that way daily. Great view of the mountains from our balcony where we saw deer several mornings. Service was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend these suites to anyone. Great value for the money.

Great views, needs renovations

by TripAdvisor Member Travelmom74

We recently stayed in a one-bedroom kitchenette suite. Having previously stayed in a delightful executive suite, we were looking forward to a comparable stay. Unfortunately, our unit did not meet our expectations. Upon entry, we could immediately smell a considerable smoky/musty odor (likely remnants of the wood-burning fireplace). While the unit was spacious, we found the decor and kitchen appliances in dire need of updating. The pull-out sofa had two uncomfortable bars that could be felt through the mattress. We also found the separate bedroom to be cold at night and the bed uncomfortable. On a positive note, the view of the mountains from our living room was spectacular. The jetted tub was also pleasant. If you are planning to stay at tunnel mountain resort, it may be best to choose the much nicer and more comfortable executive suite, rather than the somewhat disappointing one bedroom suite.

A little bit of luxury

We travelled to Banff in January 2006, we have been there several times before but generally stayed on Banff Avenue. This time we wanted a bit of luxury and chose the Tunnel mountain resort.
We were certainly not disappointed with our exective suite, it was very well equipped. It had microwave, coffee maker, a huge gas effect fire, balcony, leather settee and king size bed. The kitchen and bathroom are all have heated floor tiles which were amazing when you had cold feet!
The bathroom had a fantastic power shower which doubled up as a steam room and a great jacuzzi bath ideal after a hard days skiing.
The ski busses all ran to a timetable and were very punctual and the bus stop was just outside reception.
There was a pool and sauna you could use and internet facilities.
Overall we found it an exceptional place to stay in a beautiful location and not too far to walk into town.
Highly reccommended.

Won't stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member burry

My husband, brother in law and I had booked a chalet at the Tunnel Mountain resort while we were visiting Banff for a ski trip. We were promised a nice view but realised this was untrue as soon as we entered our room. All we could see was a big tree!! We didn't like the bedroom as it was underground only had tiny windows. It felt like a dungeon. Also, the living area was tiled so not very suitable if you have someone sleeping on the fold-out (it was cold). We asked to change rooms, which the staff were happy to do. However, we were moved to non-chalet room in the main building, which was quite a bit outdated. Although some renovations had been done on the bathroom, the kitchen was extremely barely equiped and old. The fridge looked like it was at least 30 years old! We were there for four nights and not once got firewood without having to ask for it. Also, although there was no internet in the rooms, they charge through the nose for internet access in the foyer. The Douglas Fir across the road looked much nice AND has free wireless internet! I'll try there next time.

Excellent Executive Suites

We stayed in the Executive Suites at the Tunnel Mountain Resort between 22 March and 1st April 2006. I had read some reviews on this site before we left but didn't get my hopes up too much, to avoid being dissapointed.....Well I need not have worried! The Executive suites were fantastic! As previously said, Heated floor, Steam room in shower, Jaccuzi bath, Microwave, Coffee maker, Fridge, King bed, Huge TV, Electric fireplace with nice log fire effect, Good sized balcony, leather settee, etc, etc. The maid service was daily, providing a fresh flannel every day, as well as the usual clean up & making of bed. Also provided in the room were 2x towling bath robes, a hairdryer and a safe in the wardrobe which you simply reset to a code of your choice (no extra charge). The room was clean, comfortable and well decorated. We used the hot tub/steam room & sauna facilities which were never crowded and again of excellent quality. I didn't use the swimming pool which is by reception and a little on display, but although small, looked as well presented and clean as everything else. A very friendly service from the reception staff who were always there and willing to help. Small shop accross the road and lovely bar/restaurant attatched to the hotel across the road. 20 minute, pleasant walk to Banff Avenue to all the shops and restaurants, or a $5.00 taxi ride. I would definately recommend to anyone & visit again myself.

Resonable quality,cheap accomodation, in/near Banff

by ralph69

Hello anybody,can anybody give some suggestions or addresses of cheap accomodation in or around Banff mid Aug 2007,cabins, lodges, hotels, guest houses pretty well anywhere with a double bed considered!

by madamx

Nowhere around Banff is "cheap", unfortunately. However, you can look on this website for accomodation:

www.banfflakelouise.com

by vtveen

You could tru 'Odenthal's Bed & Breakfast' (www.bbalberta.com/odenthal). We stayed there a couple of years ago and were very satisfied with our accommodation and hosts.
See also tip on my Banff page.

Happy travels
Jaap

by ltt

you might want to tell us what your version of "cheap" is. $100/$150/$200/night???
there are some good hostels there that is your most economical choice.

by madamx

Yes, the cheapest accomodation you'll get is maybe a $30 dorm hostel bed. They fill up fast though, so I would reserve right now for August.

by parsonske

There used to be a ymca hostel in Banff. But aug is soooo busy. You could try somewhere outside of Banff like Canmore or something. The best is to camp - very cheap and there are great campsites in canada. Rustic, but fun. You have to stay in a real campsite though, they are very strict in Banff about that.

by Karlie85

I stayed at the Driftwood Inn, last August, actually. It was a cute little room and it ia right on Banff Avenue. It was about $150 a night. I have a tip on it if you'd like to see it.

by polartraveller

Nowhere in banff is cheap in the summer months as Helen said. I highly recommend the Tunnel Mountain Resort if they still have any rooms left.

or the Paradise Lodge & Cabins in Lake Louise, I booked that for many foreign friends, they love the old rustic cabins.

Good luck.

by vtveen

I think CAD 90,- is quite reasonable for a double room with a yummie breakfast.

Comments