Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch

Ranch Rd., PO Box 964, Kananaskis Village, Alberta, T1L 1A9, Canada

Satisfaction Terrible

• Kananaskis Guest Rach

My fiance and i are looking for a venue for our up coming nuptials. I have been dealing with "manager" since we found the website back in May 2013 . She says come out for a visit, oh yeah the Ranch has been closed all year doesn't open till .... We go out knee deep snow to look at the location, she tells us We can't use any of the outsource buildings....as they haven't kept up on the renos. Its a great location! so we kept in touch after the winter visit, very difficult woman to deal with!!! We Were told contact her in June to come back out, but she was never available... after many many messages we finally agree on June 28, then she emails me oh sorry I cant make it as I have another functioned booked!!! grrr. she says how about this Saturday? We says yes to what we all agreed was the Saturday after the changed Friday. We wanted to sign a contract pay a down payment etc... Show up on a confirmed dated via email and there was an event going on!!!! She told me to my face "oh I forgot you were coming" but feel free to walk around have a look at the ranch and then your welcome to come eat dinner!!! On someone's else's money!!! .... My fiancé had taken off work early (3hrs), mother in law in tow we walk around the beautiful grounds, to find 3 cute cabins that we loved. But we were never shown last visit. We leave very upset, I fired off an email to her stating professionally how pissed we were about our wasted time to be answered of you should have read your email, she wanted us out on a different date not the one we agreed on! Yet having a few friends read the email all agreed that's not what the message portrayed. I ask for some movement for our wasted time and was told no. I'm really stuck as I can't seem to find a place like this one. That doesn't break our bank.

Unique Quality: Gorgeous Location. Mountains, River and beautiful property.

• Don't Be Fooled By The Scenery!!

A beautiful ranch located in beautiful Kananaskis and that is pretty much all there is positive about this place. It was a nightmare to book a wedding there right from the start (looking back - listening to our gut instinct would of proved to be beneficial). The Manager of the ranch is not accommodating at all. She was rude, abrupt and didn’t provide timely correspondence, which proved quite frustrating in the planning phase. The food was nothing to rave about, actually we even had raw hamburgers served at our rehearsal dinner for which no compensation was offered (some guests didn’t eat!), staff were caught eating off from our BBQ, the midnight snack was taken away before the majority of guests were able to touch it, our celebration got shut down on the first evening there because "the chef couldn’t sleep!".... Even though we were out in the middle of nowhere and chose the ranch primarily so we could enjoy ourselves until the wee hours of the morning. The DJ was told that he should of brought his own table for his setup, the bar was opened during dinner which was contrary to our instructions, we paid gratuities on top of all charges at the ranch yet the staff still had tip jars out at the bar making our guests feel obliged to tip, there was ample wine from the tables left over yet the staff couldn't find it the next day?? etc etc etc.. we could go on and on.
    We would not recommend the Kananaskis guest Ranch to anyone, specifically for a wedding. Our day was wonderful only because of our friends and family who came out to enjoy the wedding. Of course, the scenery made the day beautiful along with amazing weather but behind the scenes the manager at the Ranch made a point of posing challenge after challenge. Our poor wedding coordinator! Additionally, we shared our feedback at the Ranch after the wedding and there was absolutely no form of compensation offered. Nothing at all, not even an apology! WOW.

Unique Quality: The scenery is absolutely stunning, the cabins were clean. The donut tent was a perfect venue (logistically) for a wedding. Otherwise not many postives to share, certainly not due to the Ranch! Sorry!

• Kananaskis Guest Ranch Wedding

We had a wonderful wedding here - very picturesque and very friendly staff. However, the manager was very rude, staff was scared of her, and she made us feel unwelcome at several points throughout the day. We were promised only our guests would be permitted to stay that night, not only did we have her personal guests staying there - they were out on the porch of their cabin right beside the donut tent watching our wedding reception! The food was average, the accommodation is average, the location is suberb and the staff (cleaners, desk clerks, kitchen) do very well considering how their boss treats them. We got along with everyone who helped us with the wedding preparations except this "manager" who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. It's too bad really, because it has the potential to be relaxing, but not when she's around.

Unique Quality: scenery. without the fantastic location this place is nothing special. the decor is not antique, it's more like something you would find at a cottage - clean but modest. there's nothing wrong with it - it's clean and fine, it's just not as rustic as you might expect. the donut tent is also fantasic - great for a party or wedding, as long as you only speak with staff and not the manager. she'll make you feel like you are intruding on her property. Really changed my romantic vision of the Brewster name, although I am sure she is just a bad apple.

• VTShounen's Profile Photo

City Slickers

It's a picturesque "ranch" where people can ride horses, go for a wagon ride, paddle the adjacent Bow River, play a round of golf, or go for a hike. Accommodations in the cabins are by no means rustic though.

Unique Quality: Pretty neat if you're into the cowboy/ranch thing, pretty tacky if you're not.

Directions: Coming from the east, it's the exit immediately following Highway 40 (Kananaskis Country). From the west, about 5 minutes after Canmore - keep your eyes open for the sign when you see an upcoming overpass.

• Jul 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I have been dealing with "manager" since we found the website back in May. She says come out for a visit, oh yeah the ranch has been closed all year doesn't open till .... We go out knee deep snow look at the location. We can't use any of the outsource buildings.... None as they haven't kept up on the renos. Kept in touch after the winter visit, very difficult woman to deal with!!! Changed our next visit where we wanted to sign a contract pay a down payment etc... Show up on a confirmed dated via email and there was an event going on!!!! She told me to my face "oh I forgot you were coming" but feel free to walk around have a look at the ranch.... My fiancé had taken off work early (3hrs), mother in law in tow we walk around the beautiful grounds, to find 3 cute cabins that we loved. But we were never shown last visit. She told us that we could join the other event for dinner as well!!! I fired off an email to her stating professionally how pissed we were about our wasted time to be answered of you should have read your email, she wanted us out on a different date not the one we agreed on! Yet having a few friends read the email all agreed that's not what the message portrayed. I ask for some movement for our wasted time and was told no. I'm really stuck as I can't seem to find a place like this one. That doesn't break our bank.