The Glacier View Inn

Icefields Parkway (Highway #93 North), (formerly Columbia Icefield Chalet), T1L 1J3, Canada
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

More about The Glacier View Inn

Chateau Lake LouiseChateau Lake Louise

Sidewalk from the parking lot to the lakeSidewalk from the parking lot to the lake

A view of this famous lakeA view of this famous lake

View of Lake Minnewanka picnic siteView of Lake Minnewanka picnic site

Staying at the Columbia Icefields Chalet

by Holiday2004

Four of us are coming over from Australia in May to travel around beautiful BC. We were thinking of staying a night at the Columbia Icefield Chalet across the road from the glacier so we can do an early Snocoach glacier tour before driving onto to Lake Louise/Banff.

I can't find anyone that has stayed and they don't have photos of their rooms so if anyone can help with an opinion from first hand knowledge of staying there and the rooms they would recommend I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

Re: Staying at the Columbia Icefields Chalet

by FrodovonTrapp

Hello four Australians,

We have been to the spectacular Columbia Icefield recently (september 03). We did however not stay in the chalet. But if you're worried about not having enough time to visit the glacier and then driver further to Lake Louise, don't be!
We slept in Jasper Town, then drove via the Icefields Parkway to the Athabasca Glacier and arrived over there at 11u00. We stayd several hours at the spot (snocoach tours, walked on the foot of the glacier, visited the visitors centre) and then drove further to Banff Town, where we slept in the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (without reservation).
So, even if you don't sleep at the Icefield, there still is plenty of time to go to Banff or Jasper.
Btw: another very beautifull spot in Jasper NP is Angel Glacier near Mount Edith Cavell. You can drive untill the lake underneath the glacier.
If you have more questions: feel free to ask.
C U

Re: Staying at the Columbia Icefields Chalet

by Holiday2004

Thanks so much for your help.

Re: Re: Staying at the Columbia Icefields Chalet

by ltt

i've read a couple of reviews of this place. non of them sounded like they'd go back. it wasn't horrible just sort of boring and drab.

Travel Tips for Banff National Park

even defeat can be sweet

by richiecdisc

If defeat can be sweet, this must have been it. I was sitting next to the great love of my life, with Moraine Lake as our backdrop. We were having our photo taken by an Asian couple who we were reciprocating our taking theirs just moments earlier. I normally just use my tripod to get such shots but the wind was howling and there was no way I was trusting my Rebel to a $30 tripod. That very wind would in a few short moments blow us right out of Banff National Park. We had had enough; it was time to head home.

We had arrived in the famed jewel of the Canadian National Park system just two days prior with no set plan. This was on the heels of nearly five months of positively slaying every US National Park in our paths. Slaying probably sounds like a strange choice of words but that's just what it had been. I had done a similar trip in 1994 with my then long time girlfriend who just happened to be Canadian. It had been my first real prolonged exposure to hiking at the age of 36 and I had fallen in love with it. Unfortunately, the girlfriend in question and I were falling out of love and though the trip had been amazing, there was no escaping it was very much the end of us as a couple.

This return trip was about showing all these great parks to my wife. I knew it was going to be tough to top that first trip west but my wife was determined to make sure that did in fact happen. Park after park, we hiked more, stayed longer, did things I'd not done before. But what separated this trip from the 1994 outing, was we backpacked extensively allowing us to get some of the best photos I had ever taken by being in such incredible places at dusk and dawn. We went from one park to the next and when a park of particular fond memory would be on the horizon I would almost fear going back, of being disappointed. But park after park, they fell and my wife seemed to relish the challenge. I saw a competitive streak in her I'd not really noticed before. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Trip to Alberta

by ZHussain

Thanks for your very useful and informative replies.

We are wondering if we will be able to see the fall colors in early October during our 5 days trip to Banff and Jesper and then from Jesper to Kamploops and Whitsler. We will be arriving in Banff on 2nd October.

Many amazing sights

by Hermanater

All along the highway there are ample opportunities to pull over and take in the sights. It seems that every 10 km, there is another view point. I would recommend that you should stop at as many as time allows. Our 5 hour trip turned out to be 8 hours and we did not stop at all the places we would have liked. Next time we will spend a couple days camping on our way up the Ice Field Highway.

Take your time and enjoy the place. There are so many hikes, trails and view points that you can not see them all in one trip.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN WEATHER

by Lady_Mystique

Despite their northerly latitudes, the Canadian Rockies have climate and weather patterns which compare quite closely with similar mountain areas hundreds of miles to the south. In fact, mean temperatures and annual precipitation in Banff relate almost to the degree and inch with those of West Yellowstone, Montana, and Colorado.

Generally, temperatures become moderate by April, snows begin to melt, and by May the lower valleys are usually bare.
In late May and June, however, weather conditions can be very unstable --- a time of year referred by some locals as "the monsoon season" and the reason I never plan a hiking trip during these months!

July and August are the brightest months weather-wise, with daytime temperatures rising into the 20's C. even at higher elevations.

As with ALL mountain areas, sudden storms and periods of wet weather must be reckoned with.
Be prepared for sudden changes by bringing appropriate clothing...for cold and hot temps. I remember one year when I hiked in Glacier Park in Montana and got sun-stroke, yet after reaching Lake Louise the next day, I was freezing to death from the snow storm that came up in the middle of a hike there!! And this was in August!!!

Temperatures are cool throughout the summer, sometimes even to freezing in the higher valleys. September usually sees the first snowstorms drifting down from the peaks, and, a snowfall of a third of a metre or more is not unusual. These initial storms are short-lived, however, and the latter weeks of September (my favourite month after July) and often into October, exhibits a beautiful Indian Summer.

Hot Springs

by RACCOON1

This is the Upper Hot Springs Pool in Banff . The water is supplied by a hot sulphur spring coming out of Sulpher mountain . The spring water has to be cooled down before it enters the pool. The pool water is still hot , especially on a summer day. You should not staye in more than 15 to 20 minutes.

• bernadetteb's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My husband and I are arriving in Vancouver late September and intend to drive to Banff and then on to Jasper but don't want to pre book accommodation as we are not certain when we will arrive at each destination. Will it be difficult to find somewhere to stay?