Sandman Hotel Downtown Calgary

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• sam_was_here's Profile Photo

Good location in Downtown

We had 3 nights at the hotel, and was pleasantly surprised. The room was nice and clean, we got a corner room so good views from 2 sides. Goos choice of TV channels when we was in at night and the morning. Overall a great place to stay, especially at less that $90 CAD a night!

• jojocan's Profile Photo

A great stay

On our trip to Calgary, we stayed at the Sandman hotel downtown. It was great! Within walking distance of almost everywhere we wanted to go, and when it wasn't, the front desk staff called a cab for us! They even brought up a cot (because there ended up being 5 of us instead of the original 2 staying over) at no cost!

The pic was taken while we were wating for an elevator - the celing was mirrored, but Melissa forgot to take the flash off!!!

Unique Quality: Underground parking for free! This is a big plus when its wintertime!

• Breen's Profile Photo

Perfect Location for Sightseeing in Calgary!

This hotel had a great location that was in walking distance to almost all major attractions. I walked to the center of downtown within a few minutes to all of the local bars so it was a great place to stay at. Since I was mostly looking around the downtown to the NW area of town walking was fine. Also it is directly on the light rail line so you can get anywhere quickly.

Rooms are pretty standard middle of the road fair, you have everything you need for a comfortable stay!

Unique Quality: Weird key elevator that is kind of scary at first if you don't know how to use it, I didn't properly enter my key to use the elevator, it went up to floor 5 or so then droppd back down to the lobby suddenly, was very strange!

More about Sandman Hotel Downtown Calgary

Great Hotel......iffy location

Great hotel with nice service, features city location and dining (M-Bar and Moxies restaurant). Only issue was that the hotel is situated in an area that can be a little "shady" at times along the C-Train.

A very enjoyable experience.......

Great Price and Location

by TripAdvisor Member 952

Good Hotel and Excellent price. Location is excellent.
No need to worry about crime as downtown Calgary is very nice. I seen a few sketchy characters in the downtown area but far less than I seen in any other major Canadian or U.S. downtown area.

If you are considering this hotel do not hesitate.

Great for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member lazza999

Paid $67+tax for 5 nights and althought the area wasn't the best I thought it was great value for money. Most other downtown hotels were over $100 so the price I paid was great.

Really nice check in staff, and from Australia so that was nice as well. The resturant/room service was good value and fast. MACS and McDonalds across the street as well.

The hotel is right on the free train so you can get almost everywhere from right outside the hotel. Also connected to the +15 system so if it's cold you never have to go outside to get places. A plus inthe cold Calgagry winters.

Next time I'm in Calgary I'd stay here again, and other people I know have stayed here on my advice and have liked it.

Oh the free internet in the business room was also good to catch up with emails.

not 100% worth it

by TripAdvisor Member babygunn

I stayed at the Sandman hotel in the fall of 2003 and my time spent there could be well left to the imagination.

While I would like to add that the view was great and the room was nice and clean we were put beside a room full of noisy tourists! a family member who I was with talked to someone who was in charge and moved the family who was beside us to another room for them only to put 3 or so noisy people back beside us who were being quite loud into the night.

neither of us got alot of sleep that night as a result.

Room service was also called and the order was messed up.

I had gone to the main desk to get some change and even the person working couldn't get that right.

I would also like to mention that I had checked this website for a price of one of their hotel rooms because I was looking for a place to stay in late January of this year only to find out that it was far more then what it said on this website, I tried getting a room but only to be turned away because I didn't have a credit card because debit and a photo ID wasn't good enough and told me to try another hotel.

I have never been so annoyed in my life at the Sandman staff.

unless you have better luck than I then use your own judgement when staying here.

Nice hotel in good location

The hotel is in a perfect location on 7th Avenue. It is just a very short walk to the C-train, which is free on 7th Avenue!

The room was not big, but well-equipped. Everything you need is in it. Very good quality for the price!

Ther is a underground parking, which is easy-accessible from the street and from the hotel.

We had a very nice stay here. I would recommend it to my friends.

Not bad

I was a bit surprised to find the Sandman ranked as high as it did amongst Calgary hotels. I have stayed here 3 times now and find it to be a very average hotel. The location happens to be convenient for me, and the prices are very reasonable, which is why I stay here. But I find the rooms to be smallish and I don't care for the lighting. The beds are not particularly comfortable, and the bathrooms are very small. There is no closet at all, only a small alcove to hang your clothes. The alcove is so shallow that the hangers stick out and I found I was knocking clothes off the hangers as I went to and from the bathroom. The ironing board hangs on the wall in plain sight. And you have to physically move furniture to get close enough to the windows to open and close the curtains.
On the plus side, the staff are very nice and I have never found the hotel to be particularly noisy.
Overall, it's good value and I will probably continue to stay here for the location.

Comments