HI Edmonton

HI Edmonton
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

No way I could stay here!

There was no way I could stay at the Hostelling International Edmonton, which my host had booked for me at a rate of CAD61 a night: the rooms with communal bathroom/living room/kitchen are in no condition for me to stay at my age! No metal bunk beds with questionable mattress for me! And the towels look so pathetic and dirty, there is no way I could use them!

But the girl at reception was so sweet, she gave me the phone numbers/change for quarters to call the Campus Tower Suites, which gave me a U of Alberta rate since I had a letter of invitation from it! Though much higher than even my total claimable daily allowance, there is no way I could stay at the HI!

I'm surprised my host didn't book me a room with attached bathroom at Lister Center of U of Alberta, which has Guest Services, offering a much cleaner/better room with attached bathroom and communal living room and kitchen (which I don't mind) at a rate of only CAD69 a night (CAD59 a night for a 30 day stay) during the spring/summer months!

Unique Quality: Nice location.

• lilulovestravel's Profile Photo

HI-Edmonton Charming and Friendly

I brought a group of staff (18-26yrs) in for a 4 day weekend of city entertainment. I had booked a private room for myself and an entire 8bed dorm for 6 of my staff members. The hostel gave us a deal for the private rooms, because we had attended a festival and we had our ticket stubs.

Both rooms had shared bathroom facilities, although inconvenient the quality of cleanliness made up for the fact that I had to leave my room. If I was in a dorm situation I prefer to have the toilet outside the room, or a really really loud fan to drown out my thoughts of others listening to me wee.

I digress; the private rooms were great as well as the dorms, all beds these great mattresses and the bed were made upon arrival, the blackout curtains in the room were amazing and very helpful following our Whyte Ave night out.

We used the guest kitchen on the first night we got in to save some cash, I was told by the staff that kitchen has been recently renovated and there was plenty of space for all of us to prep and cook as a group.

There is was plenty of common areas such as a large book exchange in the library, meeting room (free for group use), a huge TV room, a massive common room with a loft that makes you want to sing like you are in the choir. It’s such an interesting and charming space, we were told that it’s a former convent, so the brick makes sense.

I admit I am a pretty huge snob when it comes to customer service, and all aspects of travel and hospitality. I think if you work in the industry you need to be ready to handle all enquires big or small with ease. We all felt like guests of the hostel not just paying customers, it was a real pleasure to be treated with such kindness whenever we appeared at the front desk. One of our guys was continuously losing his key card, so the front desk girl punched a hole in the card and instructed him to carry it on his king ring…3mths later he still has the card!

Needless to say I was actually inspired to write a review for this hostel. We are planning our summer trip for July, again 15% off for festival goers…They just told me they are doing weekly bbq’s and free tours and hikes around the city.

Unique Quality: This hostel is located a minute from Whyte Ave, and it’s located in a SAFE quiet neighborhood. We were directed to a few different places on Whyte for food, theater, and dancing. We also did heaps of shopping and chilling at the cafes patio.

Of course West Edmonton Mall, the bus stop was only minutes from the hostel, and I think it was like 25mins to the mall. It was really easy there and back, and we purchased our WEM tickets for cheap at the hostel. Great deal!

There was a large courtyard in the back of the hostel, it’s a private area right in an urban environment.

I think the bed was really good, and I had 4nights of great sleep, that had nothing to do with all the great partying we did!

Directions: Whyte Ave, Old Strathcona - Heart of Edmonton's Cultural District.

• Quartzy's Profile Photo

Beautiful place

Located somewhat away from the city craziness. Beautiful place. Sweet staff that didn't bat an eye when my friend accidently threw her key card in a mailbox. We went for a private room, which included a bunk bed: top bed was twin and the other bed was double. We shared the bathroom with the nextdoor room and we didn't have a private bath or shower, but we didn't mind. Not a big hostel, and I would definitely recommend it.

• VTShounen's Profile Photo

Cheap & Convenient

Mid size, most ammenities.

Unique Quality: Located on a (relatively) quiet street just one block from the bustling Whyte Avenue. This means you are in the middle of the action!! Shopping, eating, people watching by day, drinking, dancing, partying by night. Minutes from the university, the river, loads of bus routes connecting you to all other parts of the city.

Directions: From the airport, take the Sky Shuttle to Varscona Hotel then walk south. From downtown - bus #7 or 9 to Whyte Ave then walk east, or take the LRT to University. From Uni take eastbound bus #4 or 6.

Comments