Inn on 7th Edmonton

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Inn on 7th Edmonton

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member purplerhino

I recently stayed at the Matrix hotel for a whole week. I stayed here in the past when it was the Inn on 7th. They did a great job in renovating the hotel. The rooms were very comfortable. I was nervous that the hotel would be too cold, as it had been before new the renovations. The temperature was great.

My only concern was the attitude of the staff. Over the span of the week, I dealt with many different front desk staff members. One was very kind, but the rest were quite rude! It was as though you were wasting their time.

I would stay here again, even with the poor customer service.

Matrix - All decked out for the holidays

by TripAdvisor Member Travellinwoman2

I went to stay at the Matrix Hotel for our companies business meetings and Christmas Party. The Hotel is beautifully decorated for the holidays and the welcome addition of a roaring fireplace in the lobby. This really is a designer Hotel with all of the extras...The rooms are nice, the staff are friendly and the value is great. Where else do you get breakfast, wine and cheese, parking and internet included in your stay. The breakfast has hot items as well as really good juices and they even have a cappacino maker you can use...

Our room was a little hot but the front desk had that fixed...and we opened our window to let a bit of fresh air in...

For food our banquet was excellent..we also went to the subways across the street and a boston pizza a block away...all in all I think this Hotel offers everything it says it does...most of all the staff smile and are great to deal with!

An amazing Experience

by TripAdvisor Member roxyv22

The Matrix Hotel was FANTASTIC!!! The rooms are were very modern looking, a look that I have never experienced anywhere before. Everything you would need was right there in the room for you, with the latest technology, it was great! Also the staff were wonderful!! The front desk staff were very friendly, and when I ordered room service it was fast and DELICIOUS!!! Altogether it was the COOLEST!! hotel I have ever stayed at and can't wait to go again!

Matrix is a hotel the way a hotel should be!

by TripAdvisor Member triguy2008

We booked our stay at Matrix through the advice of a friend and travel agent. We come to Edmonton a few times a year to visit our son who attends college in the city. It is his forth year, so you can imagine with a few visits a year from Northern Alberta, we have stayed at a number of hotels in the city.

Matrix is by far the best experience we have ever had. The service the staff provide there is unique in the sense that it is high-end without feeling stuffy, they are friendly and yet it doesn't seem put on and they seem to want to go beyond to help, not because they have to, but because they really enjoy it. Living in Alberta and working in the current job market, I don't know where they found these staff, but they clearly work hard to find good staff - the whole attitude seem contageious.

The hot breakfast in the morning was outstanding (think continental with hot items, but with style and flavour)... we did the wine tasting one evening and it was great (especially the girl serving it). Our room was BY FAR the cleanest we have ever stayed in. Some folks on here I notice have talked about noise, we stayed during a weekend and didn't notice this at all. Noise I'm guessing is like temperature, some people are more sensitive to it that others, I don't know if it is really anything wrong with the hotel itself.

The entire decor of the hotel is like something we've never seen. We requested a few extra items for our guest room and they were up in a flash. We have a sateliette TV at home so that was a breeze and having that many channels (and even free movie channels that we took advantage of) was awesome! The bed was super comfy and hard to get out of each morning.

The hotel's express check out process was the easiest to do and understand we have ever experience.

Overall, I guess I could say that I just wish there were more Matrix hotels out there, it really was a hotel the way we think hotels should be.

We have already booked for our winter visit at Matrix.

wow - different!

by TripAdvisor Member banfftravellers

i booked this hotel because it was one of the first on the expedia listings when i punched in my dates of travel

i am a business traveller and while i wouldn't say i travel a lot, i stay in about 10 hotels a year and this one was the most different i've experience. it was different good too, not different bad.

i don't usually write reviews but i was just so shocked by the good service, especially from what appeared to be such a young staff, very impressive.

room service food could use a bit for variety, but everything i ordered on both nights was great.

i enjoyed the wine each evening and the breakfast was great.

from the minute you walk in this hotel it has a really different vibe and look, the rooms are classy, clean and everything in my room worked flawlessly, i agree with the previous reviewer that check out was a breeze, so was check in, so nice to see genuine smiles

i'll be back...

Too Hot!!

by TripAdvisor Member 205

Great hotel in a great location. Love the wine and cheese. Only concern is the hotel turned off the cooling and turned on the heat. Too bad it was unseasonably warm. The hotel was too hot. We opened the window and turned the fan off, but it was still too hot.

We did not get any sleep for two nights. I would stay here again, but hope the hotel reacts quicker next time.

Looks good, hot rooms, poor management

by TripAdvisor Member Rofrano

The hotel looks great and the rooms are very well appointed. Beds very comfortable, good location...so what's the catch?

As several reviewers have commented there are some big probs with the air con/heating. I moved rooms (for another reason) and went from one that was rather too cool to a very hot one. The only way they could get the temp down was to suggest I turn up the thermostat to 25 degrees! It kind of worked in that the room went from a near sauna to just too hot.

The room I was originally in lacked a comfortable chair despite its price. When I asked for one (all the rooms around it had one) I was told no and for different reasons - first reason 1) the room inventory. then subsequent reason 2) room wasn't designed to have a chair in it etc. I could have dining chair but not an armchair. The only way to get a chair was to move rooms!! This seemed bizarre and very inconvenient and hardly very customer facing but in the end I did move to what turned out to be a very hot room. By that time I had lost the will to live.

Have you ever had to move rooms in a hotel. It has happened to me a couple of times and it is usually very smooth. This was a comedy of errors as the rather hopeless young bell hop clearly did not have a clue.

So I wouldn;t stay in the Matrix again because it is poor management that puts a room inventory/trendy room design before a guest's comfort.

not bad, missing amenities though

by TripAdvisor Member AlbertaMtnman

Nice rooms, but missed the mark with the rest of the amenities and helpful staff. We checked in around 4PM, thought it might be nice to relax and have a cocktail in the lounge before our dinner engagment. Called the front desk and was advised that the hotel's restaurant / lounge did not open until 5PM. Inquired about an alternative for a quick drink and was told that nothing in DT edmonton opens unitl five! She did tell me about a complimentary wine and chees tasting at 5, but this did not work with our schedule.We decided to look for ourselves and found a joey tomatoes a few blocks down Japser that was fantastic. Returned to the hotel later in the evening and was looking for a light snack. called the desk around 11 pm and was told that everything was closed up and he could not offer any room service. I asked for directions to a vending machine and was told they did not offer one. He did not offer any suggestions, just wished me a goodnight and hung up the phone. I decided to give this property a try because I have stayed at the westin, delta and the crown plaza before and was looking for something different and boutique. This property is off to a good start but needs to work on it's F&B and front line service. I will probably stay at the Westin again next time simply because they "get it" and I know what to expect.

Wow. This place is gorgeous.

by TripAdvisor Member ABtraveller

Stayed Jan 1 2009 overnight; they were offering $99. Definitely, this is a beautiful boutique hotel now.

As indicated in other reviews, this was Inn on 7th. But it's had a major renovation. Great location; handy to downtown by foot. Lobby is spacious and oh-so-cool.

My king bed room was not spacious or opulent, but very nicely appointed. Bed was especially soft, comfy, with a really nice comforter. Lots of great pillows. End tables on both sides of the bed; a Timex MP3 compatible clock radio on the one.

Nice lights. 32" flatscreen tv is mounted on a dark wood panel on the wall. The desk with funky desk chair and cordless phone, then set of drawers, then seat/luggage bench. All blend as one unit.

Four windows - one even opens (yes, I did open it to confirm!) - with sheers and blackout drapes. No issues with the baseboard type heating - and Edmonton was -30C overnight. Heat is controlled by a digital wall thermostat.

Carpet is sculpted, and blends with the wall colour. Original art on the walls. Free wireless and wired internet. Free local and 1- 800 calls. Half size fridge in the room has 2 complimentary water bottles.

Bathroom is snug, but again, really nice features. Soaker tub, curved shower rod, large shower head, sleek faucets, large mirror. Deluxe toiletries, including qtips and a sewing kit. I'm unsure why another reviewer had issues with the 'barn door' feature of the bathroom door. There's simply no room for anything else.

Closet is one of the few things that seems 'original': it's deep, has iron, board, 2 robes, wood hangers.

Enjoyed the 5:30-6:30p wine and cheese. (It's on every night but Sun). Four wines to taste. Next day, the breakfast was amazing. Really good quality free buffet. I mean, REALLY good. Both the wine and cheese and the breakfast are in the same room on the MZ floor.

Fitness is on the 3rd floor - access with your room card 5am to midnight. Again, really beautiful, it doesn't have the usual glaringly bright lights of many fitness rooms. Equipment is Lifecycle brand e.g. a treadmill, stationery bike, eliptical. There's also a weight station, all sorts of free weights, balls, mats. Ceiling mounted flat screen TVs, water cooler, and bottled water on ice. Lots of towels, but nothing specifically for cleaning equipment.

I passed by the 'business centre' on the MZ floor, but didn't go in. No pool, sauna, or whirlpool.

Ice machine is on the 9th floor, although the directory in the room states 3 floors. Your room card is required on the elevator.

As others have indicated,
- the satellite tv can be tricky to operate. Be sure to follow the instructions.
- hallway noise can be annoying

The beauty of Matrix reminds me of Vancouver Hyatt Regency after it's 2007 renovation.

Not Good

by TripAdvisor Member Kerrell

VERY average! The rooms have a cold feeling to them and are not very clean. We stayed in a suite and were not impressed. As others indicated there is something wrong with the thermostat.....the temperature would swing from freezing to boiling without warning. The t.v. was hard to operate and seemed to have very limited shows to watch, despite being satellite. Our room did not have a phone book or yellow pages and the door to one of the cupbords came off in my hand when I opened it. The staff was not very helpful and just before we left we were told that we were flooding the room below us from our shower. Basically this hotel looks like a so so reno and I would not stay there again. I have stayed at numerous boutique hotels and this one is by far the worst. Oh and also when we called down for room service we were informed the kitchen was closed. I was very glad to leave.

Edmonton Transit SystemEdmonton Transit System

Fort EdmontonFort Edmonton

West Edmonton Mall (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)West Edmonton Mall (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

EdmontonEdmonton

About Alpine Ski equipment in Edmonton.

by tnp

What is the best place and time to buy new or used alpine ski equipment in Edmonton, AB?
Are there any sales and discounts possible?

Are there any forums in Edmonoton for alpine skiers?

RE: About Alpine Ski equipment in Edmonton.

by silnik

Hi,
Totem http://www.totemoutfitters.com/
I bought some equipment from them.
Good Luck, Silvia

RE: About Alpine Ski equipment in Edmonton.

by Envex

I'll vouch for Silvia as well. Totem is a really good place. Not cheap or expensive, but all quality stuff. I don't know if there's more than one shop in the city, but I know there's one at around 99th St. and 76th Ave, give or take. If you're heading north on 99th St, it'll be on your left hand side.

Comments