Lodge Motor Inn

Lodge Motor Inn
Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Edmonton

Thanks Rich :)Thanks Rich :)

Fort EdmontonFort Edmonton

West Edmonton Mall (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)West Edmonton Mall (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

West Edmonton Mall - WaterslidesWest Edmonton Mall - Waterslides

moving to Edmonton

by Hobbsie1

We are planning to move to Edmonton from Vancouver soon, and I have a question. Can someone who lives in Edmonton, or nearby, please let me know which areas are good to live. We have been looking but cant seem to get any details like that. places to rent are all listed under "central" "northeast" "south" etc, and we dont know which areas are better than others.
Thanks for any info

by madamx

Awwww, that's too bad ... so sorry (just kiddin' there is a terrible rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary)

Anyhoo contact VT members Babcia and DavidKeeling or Darby2 -- tell them I sent you. They should be able to answer your question!

by dan780

Hey, I totally know what that is like. The problem is that there is some nice areas and not so nice areas in all of the above. Generally it is safe to say though that the north side is not as nice as the south side. St albert is a really nice community. So is sherwood park. In the South west area you have riverbend which is really nice . In the south east you have mill woods which is more of a surrey like place. generally the whole southside is good though exept mabye mill woods. ( which isnt that bad either).
If you have any more questions about a specific area email me , I know the city really well.

by aqazi

Not wanting to hyjack this thread but I was about to post a question about the pro's of moving from Vancouver to Edmonton where my job will moving during the summer. I'm having difficulty deciding whether to make the move and coming up with more than two reasons (lower cost of living, and the fact that I'd have a job are the only two I can think of!) why my wife and I should consider relocating. I have had a look on mls too and it looks like we could afford something nice but would we survive the winter?

Az...

Travel Tips for Edmonton

Edmonton Humane Society

by Karlie85

If you're moving here to Edmonton, the Humane Society is the perfect place for you to find a new companion for your home! The Edmonton Humane Society is a no kill animal shelter, which means they will not euthanize an animal just because it has not been adopted or has been there for too long. They have had animals for over 6 months (I know this personally because I volunteer here). The only reason they will put an animal down is if it is ill.
They have a large (sometimes too large) selection of cats and dogs. They also have rabbits, birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.
All cats and dogs will already have their vaccinations and be spayed or neutered. They will not be declawed; that is your choice to make.
The prices are a lot cheaper than a regular pet store, and you know you are helping rescue someone who may have come here under unfortunate circumstances and giving them a better life.

Website: www.edmonronhumanesociety.com
Address: 12251 - 67 Street
Phone: (780) 471-1774 This is where I got my fat orange cat Oliver!
I used to be a cat cuddler here, which basically means I would take a cat into a room and play with them or cuddle or brush them or whatever they liked for half an hour each cat. I met lots of very cute cats here! The only downside was that I did not get to take them all home!

Packing List

by VTShounen

Even during the summer, the nights can get chilly. So always remember to bring some warm clothing. For the winter, bring LOTS of clothing! Edmonton has a dry cold, usually without much wind. Regardless it is a good idea to bring hats, scarves, and gloves during the winter. The key to being comfortable in this kind of climate is to dress in layers - ie. many layers of thinner clothing instead of 2 or 3 layers of thick clothing. It makes a world of difference! As mentioned, it gets quite chilly at nigth even during the summer, so if you plan on staying out at night, then be sure to bring at least a sweater, and if plan on camping in the area, then a warm sleeping bag. During the summer, precipitation usually comes in the form of heavy rain from thunderclouds that are very short in duration. Hail is fairly common, and tornados, though rare, do occur. Edmonton is quite dry and we don't usually get much rain during the summer. But don't count on it! In a city where it can snow in June and a warm snow-less Christmas in the same year, the words 'average' and 'normal' can at best only mean 'very rough guideline'.

Reynolds - Alberta Museum!

by Jareotto

When my relatives visited from Germany this past summer, we took them to see the Reynolds - Alberta Museum. I'd heard of this place before. However, in my entire life living here, I'd NEVER visited it! It was SO MUCH FUN! There is SO much to see and many activities to take part in. We enjoyed it so much. There was also bread (and other baked goodies - cinnamin buns....) baked fresh throughout the day of our visit. There are children's activities and adult activities alike. While *TECHNICALLY* this probably belongs to a WETASKIWIN, Alberta site - I've NEVER actually been to Wetaskiwin (I think!). SO, as the location is close enough to Edmonton, you'll find the tip under my Edmonton page.
Please check it out! You will enjoy it. The history is amazing and the hands-on activities are worthwhile... and FUN!
There are many events taking place here throughout the year. For a calendar please follow THIS link!
Also, the Official Website is found HERE!
MAILING ADDRESS: Box 6360, Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 2G1
PHONE: (780) 361-1351
FAX: (780) 361-1239
TOLL FREE: (800) 661-4726
E-MAIL: ram@gov.ab.ca

Shopping Districts - pedestrian friendly

by VTShounen

For a good shopping experience - one that involves getting out of the car to walk around, and if nothing more, to window shop - there are 4 'districts' that I would recommend.

Whyte Ave / Old Strathcona - Without a doubt the best pedestrian strip in the city. Lots of cool shops that tend to lean to the left, but has something for everyone.

Downtown - Classy, haut couture, swanky, pricey.. you get the picture. That's what downtown is known for, but there are many other 'regular' shops too, for the rest of us.

124 Street - This place is not quite popular just yet, but it is getting there. From Jasper Ave all the way to about 110 Ave, there are lots of interesting cafes, shops, restaurants, galleries, etc. The south end of the street borders one of the richest neighbourhoods in Edmonton, the north end of the street borders one of the poorest. The middle is a moderate concentration of office buildlings. The diversity it offers is in itself worth checking out.

The final shopping district is West Edmonton Mall. Ok, obviously not an answer you were expecting, but this place is so big that it probably has its own postal code or two.

Lounge chic...

by Rice_Paper about Savoy

A lounge with attitude. Though seating is pretty limited (if you're there early, you'll get a table/booth), it's still a nice place to relax and grab a martini. There's often a live dj there to spin some cool tunes (acid jazz to trip hop) too.

Along with drinks, there are tapas available until 1 a.m (I think). Note that tapas (range from $3 to $12) DO NOT sub as a dinner/meal as tapas are smaller in portions but VERY DELICIOUS! I really like the duck tacos...YUMMY! Casual

Comments