10135 100th St, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 0N7, Canada

Satisfaction Average

More about The Westin Edmonton

Comfortable & Central

by TripAdvisor Member GlobalEyes

Three reasons why I wouldn't give this hotel an "Excellent" rating: my room was not spotless, it lacked some basic toiletries/amenities and it was still a bit dated despite recent renovations. I'll spare the details on these because it is quite a good hotel, nonetheless.

Check-in was prompt and courteous even with a number of other guests checking-in at the same time - well done. The complimentary apples and bottled water provided by the hotel were small, but nice touches..

The comfy "Heavenly" beds and dual-head shower make up for the thin walls.

The hotel is centrally located next door to the World Trade Centre and is just a block away from Jasper Avenue (Edmonton's main thoroughfare). The main downtown shopping centre is the Edmonton City Centre and it's just steps away.

There is plenty of room for improvement at the Westin Edmonton, but, for now, it's still a pretty good hotel.

Great Hotel - newly renovated

by TripAdvisor Member drag-po

I had a great stay at the Westin Edmonton while there for a conference at the start of June, 2007. When I checked in the desk clerk mentioned my room was on one of the newly renovated floors – I've added some photos for your interest. It seemed, from talking to others at the conference, that all of the Starwood Preferred Guest floors were recently renovated. I was on the 14th floor. So sign up for Starwood Points (for free) as I did and you will be quickly rewarded!

Service was great, staff went out of their way to help out. The Hotel was quiet and calm but nicely located in the city core. That said, don't stray too far east of the hotel or you are soon in the seediest area of town.

I would easily stay here again.

Not Up To Par

by TripAdvisor Member AidiesMommy

We booked using spg.com, which is the website for all starwood hotels (Sheraton, Westin, W, etc).
A side note, before staying at any Starwood hotel, sign up for a SPG card. We've earned countless free stays (at least 6 or 7 nights per year) by just using our SPG number and booking through their website.
When we arrived, the cramped foyer parking area was full. Arriving guests were lined up on the street. There is nowhere else to park, as the hotel is right on a main road. We sat for over 20 minutes, waiting to get close enough to the door that one of us could go check in.
I brought our bags (no help offered) to the front desk. We're gold members, and there is a preferred lineup, but no one would help us. So I had to stand in line with all the other customers. (Sounds snobby, I know, but when you're in and out of hotels ALL the time, waiting at every lineup is annoying.)

Rooms were gross. Not up to Starwood standards. Wrinkly sheets, small rooms, dark and with an "off" smell. The hallway leading to our room was at least 45 degees. Celcius.
The service was horrible. Unfriendly staff, and complete lack of staff. And some might say "cut them a break - it was probably busy", but it was definitely not busy. And, even at the busiest times, we always receive exceptional service at all other Starwood hotels. They are a good chain, and I've come to rely upon their high standards. As a frequent traveller, one does not always have time to review and weigh hotel options. But I know I can go to spg.com, book a room in whatever city we're travelling to, and not be too disappointed. Not so with the Westin Edmonton.

I left a long, written complaint at the hotel, and never received so much as a "thank you for your comments", let alone a "sorry". Oh, and did I mention the valet farted TWICE in our car. Right before bringing us the keys. Gross. Gross. Gross. Plus, he drove like a maniac. Our car is quite nice, and is designed for speed, but I do not expect a valet to take advantage of that for his own enjoyment. Very unprofessional.

The next time business forced us to Edmonton, we stayed at the Sheraton Four Points, which are usually a lower-class hotel. But I have to say that although it did not offer the downtown location, the service was exceptional and the rooms were immaculate.

dirty,cold

by TripAdvisor Member jeo

We booked a connecting room approximately 3 weeks before we went to Edmonton. Upon arrival there were no connecting rooms available even though they did have it in their notes that we requested it. Having two children with us, they wanted to give us two rooms down the hall from each other. Eventually they did come up with two adjoining rooms. The hotel was dirty, chips were left on the carpet by the elevator on the day we arrived and were still laying there three days later. The restaurant food was okay, service very slow, staff was pleasant. The pool area was dirty, cold and there was a big ring around the pool water line. I would not say that this is the usual Westin standards and we would definately not book there again. The Hotel Macdonald is right across the steet and is a fantastic hotel.

Very nice stay at the Westin

by TripAdvisor Member mygirlscats

I stayed at the Westin on business in mid-December. It was quite nice; the heavenly bed really is heavenly...not a spongey velux blanket in sight! The rooms are exactly as shown on the web site. The heavenly bath concept is a bit of a loss...yes, there are dual shower heads, but they're right next to each other and there isn't enough water pressure for the shower massage on either one to make much difference.

The pool was very nice...remarkably warm. My only complaint would be that the exercise room is adjacent to the pool, and all the bikes etc. are facing the pool through a large glass wall. This means the users of the gym have nothing interesting to look at except middle-aged me in my bathing suit at 6am...hmmmm....

The 20th floor was entirely gutted and having extensive renovation while I was there. Power tools started up at about 7:30 am (I was on the 19th). I trust this will be over with soon, but if you're travelling before Feb of 2007 you might want to avoid the 19th floor.

I agree that the hotel could use a concierge. The well-meaning staff misdirected me more than once, but they were so gosh-darned friendly about it that it was hard to get mad.

Meals were very good quality, but not particularly good value. My room service hamburger, fries and apple pie (no beverage) came to $37. Am I out of touch, or is that pricey?

Oddly, there was no full-length mirror in the room. First time I can recall a hotel without a long mirror...maybe they knew I'd be there in my bathing suit?...

At any rate, it is a very nice hotel for a downtown stay, particularly for business. I wouldn't bring my family, but if you need a central location with a very comfortable room for work the Westin's the ticket.

The worst service in Alberta!

by TripAdvisor Member Craigeryvr

The service at this hotel absolutely sucked. While the ammenties and decor were great, the staff were indifferent and inattentive, the front desk staff treated guests as an annoyance, and the doorman was too busy checking his cell phone messages to open the door. As a frequent business traveller, I can say that I've not had service this bad in recent memory.

Wow! What a difference!

by TripAdvisor Member BizTravMan

I must admit we were a little hesitant booking this hotel due to some of the reviews, but after staying I think they must have the wrong hotel. This hotel is probably one of the best in the city. The rooms are amazing. New flat screen tv's, the beds, and the 2 headed shower... all AMAZING! The lobby could use an upgrade and the driveway was busy. They're doing renovation out front but the staff are very helpful in moving vehicles along. And the staff, wow they are amazing. I have travelled alot and have never met such friendly staff. They always said hello, asked how we were doing, they really seem to care. Nice to see in a town where finding staff is tough. Thank you westin for making our weekend getaway a memorable one!

Okay Hotel, But Bad Area.

by TripAdvisor Member Kirya

To be honest, the hotel its self wasn't 1/2 bad. Parking however is a very bad issue. When we 1st arrived, all of the hotel parking was full (this is at 6:00 p.m.) and were informed to park in the underground public parking and then around 11:00 p.m. or so there should be parking available in their above ground parking. Upon checking in, we were taking to our room and settled in. However upon inspection of the room, we found food in the fridge and the coffee pot was dirty. Obviously housekeeping had not finished cleaning the room. We contacted the front desk and in 15 minutes they sent us to another room. This room, while renovated was also in need of some cleaning (blackened grout in the bathroom) but atleast there wasn't other peoples thing in it. About 10:30 we moved the car and we solicted by 2 gentlemen for money. This was very distrubing as they followed us and the next morning we recieved a parking ticket (which the hotel did look after). Just a word of caution, whilst the beds are ok, they are not heavenly (the showers are) and the AC units were having a very hard time of keeping it cool. The next morning, while I was in the room, housekeeping arrived and proceeded to clean. Once again we had a dirty coffee pot left over and no refills for the next morning. My husband was very grumpy over this.

I would however recommend spending some time at Hair Demensions in the basement, for $125.00 you can get a massage, manicure & pedicure. I was able to spend nearly 3 hours there and truly did enjoy myself.

We did some walking down town that evening and were once again solicated for money as well as the next morning when we walked to the New Tan Tan (Dim Sum which is very good) for brunch.

I honestly believe that there is better places to stay for similar money and I am glad that we didn't actually pay for this or we likely would not have stayed a 2nd night. I just didn't feel safe or comfrontable.

We did look at the pool, however it was very busy and we did not use the facilities. We ate in the dining room and ordered room serviced which was very good.

Nice renovated rooms

by TripAdvisor Member terravisum

Upon arriving, I was was quickly checked-in by the front-desk. I had made 2 reservations back-to-back to take advantage of a weekend offer so I told the check-in agent to tied the 2 of them together. My request was granted without a problem.

My room was one of the newly renovated floor. The hallway was in dark spa color and it lacked a bit of light for me. My room however was a surprise in terms of size. It is one of the room that due to the special curvature of the hotel seems to offer a larger space than the standard room. There are lots of room to move around. The king-size bed is flanked by the usual dresser, business desk and chair. A really nice Samsung 32" LCD with very decent pictures quality is hanged above the dresser. A night stand, coffee table and chair rounded the furniture in the room. The furniture shows a bit of age but in good functioning states. The air-conditioner is a bit load but turn the fan to low settings eliminates most of the noise. I had to turn the AC unit off at night as I feels that it is a bit too cold for me even at the lowest settings.

The bathroom is one of the largest bathroom in a standard Westin room that I have been in. The room special location gives it about 40% more space than the other rooms. It is one of the more spacious bathroom that I have been in. The heavenly bath products are ever present although there are no bath gel like some other Westin that I have been in.

The gym on the 3rd floor is co-located with the pool and a sauna is also available. The gym contains a good set of exercise bikes and treadmills. There are also some dumbbells and weight-lift chairs for the hard-core.

The hotel is located a block away from the City Center shopping mall as well as the LRT Central station. There are several men panhandling in front of Westin when I was there. Not sure if it is cause by the week-long festivities in the square in front of the hotel or not.

I was surprised with regards to the quality of this hotel. Before arriving, I have heard some bad stories about it but after this stay, it has won me over. It is both better in price as well as quality compared to its cousin in Calgary.

Comments