Platinum Hotels

8530 Franklin Avenue, Fort McMurray, T9H 2J3, Canada
Platinum Hotels
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Fort McMurray

Wood Buffalo relaxing in the distanceWood Buffalo relaxing in the distance

Fort McMurray AirportFort McMurray Airport

500 ton coker oven in transport500 ton coker oven in transport

Tamarack Physical Therapy in Fort McMurrayTamarack Physical Therapy in Fort McMurray

life in fortmcmurray.

by chitraanirudh

hi folks,
we will be moving to fort in november.Heard that it will be very cold that time.Since I am coming from singapore,we don't get winter clothes here.Are there good shops to buy winter clothings in fortmc?

How is the life there in general? I want to hear it from pple who live there.How is the traffic there? I do not know driving,so I have to learn driving after coming there.
How is westwood high? I plan to put my 16 yr old son in that school.
Pls share yr experiences abt living in fortmm.

by 1jabbar

I don't know if this is helpful as I have not been to Ft McMurray, but have lived in northern regions of Canada, and Ft. McMurray, because of its booming economy is well known. Anyway you will find it cold in November, though I think it will not be too bad during day time hours (at least)There are about 70,000 which is a good size by Canadian standards. In terms of traffic there shouldn't be a problem, as drivers here, unlike Malaysia (I think Singapore drivers are more like Canadians) are reasonable safe and concious of the rules. We do drive on the right side (I forget what side Singapore traffic follows)Driving in the winter might take some getting use to because of sbow and ice. With 70,000 people I think there will be enough stores. If you want to talk more we can have coffe in Singapore as I will be there in mid July. Ron.

by chitraanirudh

thanks Ron for the reply.It was surely useful.singapore driving is opposite to that of canada.

by SamSalmon

No matter how much you're being paid you won't last long.

In short Life Is Awful.

Prices are stratospheric, drug and alcohol addiction are rampant and life is miserable.

Just remember that life there is NOT like life in the rest of Canada.

by Karlie85

I haven't been to Fort Mac either, but I only live a few hours south and hear about it all the time. I live in Edmonton, which, at times, can get to -20 to -30 degrees Celcius, which is cold for me, let alone someone from a warm climate. I think you will be in for a shock in the winter!

And if the drivers are anything like Edmonton or Calgary, just be careful. Of course there are some people who are very safe and aware, but there are a lot of people who like to drive very fast, drive through red lights and cut you off. Keep alert all the time!!

Good luck :)

Travel Tips for Fort McMurray

Spring Home and Leisure Show - April 29 - May 1

by jamiesno

Fort McMurray Tourism operates two annual general consumer trade shows, one in April and one in September. Apparently revenues generated provides the income to sustain the tourism office on a year round basis.

They take place at MacDonald Island and the shows attract exhibitors from across Canada who present a wide range of products, services and information.

Spring shows generally have up to 250 exhibitors and average attendance of 15,000 - 17,000 people over the three day period. The Fall show has about 170 exhibitors and attendance of 13,000 - 15,000. Source: Fort McMurray Tourism

I personally really enjoyed the tradeshow. Motorhomes and hot tubs seemed to be the two big ticket items that local people where most interested in but there was a tonne of other things from crafts to other regions of Alberta marketing themselves for holidays, places to do businesses and so on.

These shows are jammed packed and very very well attended.

Comments