404 Connaught Drive, Jasper, Alberta, T0E 1E0, Canada

Our bungalowOur bungalow

Access road to Marmot BasinAccess road to Marmot Basin

Lake Louise to Jasper

by cesskp

I am interested in travelling from Lake Louise to Jasper in winter & doing the Columbia Icefields tour on the way. It seems that the tour buses (Sun Dog & Brewster) all seem to operate in the opposite direction from Jasper to Lake Louise/Banff. Do you know if there is anybody that does the tour in the direction I want to travel towards Jasper?

by GrumpyDiver

If you want to tour the Columbia Icefields in the winter, I think you are out of luck. Unless things have changed, the tours ran from the end of April through mid-October.

Unless you are out skiing, tourist season tends to run from the Victoria day weekend in May through to Thanksgiving weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving is in mid-October). I'm not sure what will be open during the winter. I can't imagine that a snow-covered frozen Lake Louise is going to be all that exciting.

By the way - it is one trip where I would highly recommend driving, rather than taking a tour bus. If you see wildlife, you can pull off the road and watch it, whereas the tour bus will just rumble along, staying on schedule.

by cesskp

Thanks, that has also help me decide that Jasper is going to be more interesting than Lake Louise at this time of the year.

by GrumpyDiver

I've been to both Jasper and Banff a number of times, but always in the spring through fall timeframe, so I can't comment on winter per se.

Banff (Lake Louise, Morraine Lake, etc.) are much more popular as you are looking at about a 90 minute drive from Calgary. Jasper is about 4 hours from Edmonton, so it a lot more isolated. There are benefits of course - fewer people. The Miellet Hot Springs are a lot less overrun by tourists than the ones in Banff. Those should not be major considerations in the winter.

Personally, I also liked the other two adjoining National Parks - Yoho and Kootenay (we did all four parks during one of our trips).

by Babcia

Lake Louise is beautiful all year round. In the wintertime you have many options for activities - skating on the lake, cross-country skiing to the end of the lake and back, taking the horse drawn sleigh ride to the end of the lake, or just walking. There is a toboggan hill too. And naturally there is lots of downhill skiing/snowboarding.
If it is snowing, it can be very pretty. If it is sunny the brilliant white snow and beautiful deep blue sky are amazing - and lovely to photograph.

As for the Columbia Icefield and the Icefield Parkway (highway #93) - whether it is even open (for travel) is very weather & avalanche dependent. We've driven it in the winter, but don't count on being able to do it and always have a plan B.

Happy trails!!

Travel Tips for Jasper

Marmot basin

by Veghel

Marmot basin is closed in summer time. It is even forbidden to go there (at least by car). I had to park my car about 1 km from the bottom station and walk from there, via a wide tarmac road.
Please note that there is really nothing to do at Marmot Basin in summer time. Only go there in summer time if you are a real ski freak (like me) and want to see every resort with your own eyes, even though it is summer!
I guess it's a lot better there in winter!

Beautiful Jasper

by Hanau93

"Aerial View of the Jasper Town Site"

Jasper has always be a true gem for me ever since I first arrived in Canada. I fell in love with in 1984 and have come back many times since. It has pure nature to offer with many lakes so close by and the view up from the Whistlers is simply breathtaking and leaves you in awe. Wildlife always makes an appearance too!

"JASPER TOWNSITE"

Alas I just read not too long ago that this pole had to be taken down as it was not safe anymore..The wood had rotted..Such a shame that this landmark had to go but safety of course comes first

"Jasper Trainstation"

Jasper Townsite

by zrim

This page deals strictly with the Jasper townsite and not Jasper National Park. Therefore, all the hotel, restaurant and other town tips will be found within these pages. The mountains, falls, glaciers and wildlife will be featured on my Jasper National Park page.

Comments