3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Tonquin Inn

Hidden Costs!

by TripAdvisor Member harrica

We paid by credit card.....the cost of the room $158.......We found out later (three days later) that they also took a $250 deposit for the room....something we had not sign for and were unaware of.

When we realized that we had been charged $250 we called the Tonquin Inn and asked what the charge was for... the clerk did not know....yet the gentlemen my husband spoke with after the weekend... stated that it was a room deposit ......had we known this....we would have went elsewhere.....

Would not recommend anyone to the Tonquin Inn.....I have never had to pay a deposit before at a hotel or motel.

Disappointing...very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member kallabel

I recently stayed at the Tonquin Inn in a group of 6 people. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was to comfortably accommodate all of us. The first problem...the living room is not large enough - when you open the sofa bed it blocks the fridge. So once you put the bed out, you better not want to eat or drink anything. But worse was the condition of the sofa bed. There was clearly something wrong with the frame as the bed was on a noticable angle. So we decided to put the matress on the floor only to realize how horrible the matress was - springs galore! If they are going to bill a room as having a sofa bed...then said bed should be usable.

The room also didn't have enough beds and housekeeping didn't replenish our towels at all during the three day stay. As well, when we asked for linens for the sofa bed (which should've been made already), it was like we were totally putting them out by making them bring that to us.

Overall, I would say very over priced for what you get.

Okay Not Great

by TripAdvisor Member Bahamas_Babe33

I was a little worried about staying at this hotel after I read some of the reviews but it was okay. The room was very clean and it looked like they had put in a AC unit for the summer. My only complaints are that the bathroom was small and the bed was really hard.

Trust the Tonquin

by TripAdvisor Member sallysue_7

We had the fortunate pleasure of staying at this score over the May Long weekend and highly recommend it.
We stayed in an excellent suite that had a full kitchen, fireplace and king size bed. Best bet, we could bring our dog and didn't blow our budget for our road trip.
It's in a great location as we could easily walk to Jasper's attractions and the Bear's Paw for breakfast. Made great use of the pool and outdoor hot tubs.
Overall it was clean, convenient and a great price.

Dirty hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member sarah1983

Should have stayed at the Fairmount but decided to give this hotel a chance. From the moment I walked into the hotel to the moment I left I was dissapointed. Upon checking in the front desk woman thought it was halirious (really had no idea what was so funny) that I required a double queen room. There were 4 of us and we wanted to stay together, whats so funny? The room has 2 beds in it to begin with. The other staff member spoke to me in a manner that I should know where things were in Jasper. Hey you can have a bad day, but I was a nice customer, and not familar with the area. Get over it. We then get into the room and find a dirty floor, q-tips on the floor and stains on the ceiling/walls.At that time we had been out all day and were exhausted and I did not want to deal with the front desk again. Checking out the clerk would not look myself or my husband in the face and mumbled "here" (I think) upon handing us our recipt. Avoid unless you like living in filth.

So-So but reasonable value

by TripAdvisor Member loribo

This hotel is on the edge of town, a drive (or longish walk) away from the heart of Jasper. Good if you're looking for quiet. Had to squeeze past the propped open restaurant kitchen door to get access to the exterior stairs and our room. The room was a good size with reasonable furniture, but the bathroom was teeny and dated. A/C unit was bizarre (see pics) and somewhat noisy. Pool was shallow and coolish. Seems that rooms in this place vary greatly depending on age. I wouldn't stay here again, though the price was decent for Jasper.

Less than expected

by TripAdvisor Member travelbugOttawa_On

I booked this hotel by calling them direct. We stayed 2 nights during the Civic holiday weekend and paid $250/night, for a non-smoking room with 2 queen sized beds. The rate given included a 10% discount as a CAA member. The inn was located east of the town of Jasper. It is a good 15-20min walk to the center of town.

The room we were given was fairly basic. It had a coffeemaker, television and an A/C (Haier), which was a bit noisy but bearable. This hotel however did not meet my expectation due to the following:

1- dirty carpets
2- frayed linens/beddings that had holes in them
3- shabby bathroom fittings
4- pillows that barely lifted your head off the bed

Although, I would not recommend this hotel to my friends I would say that I was still thankful for having had a safe place to stay in Jasper considering the scarcity of accommodations in town.

Comfortable rooms - but....

by TripAdvisor Member handycan

Doing a road trip of Canda and therefore booked all locations in advance using several online facilities. Edmonton through to Calgary were all booked with no problem through Expedia. This was the only location in a row of 5 booked throught eh same group that acknowledged my reservation, but refused to acknowledge the on line payment. All others were not a problem. I strongly suggest travellers double check before making reservtions for this location as the end price charged was also a lot more thatn originally quoted and paid for.

Good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member iceman091982

I have stayed here quite a few times, and have always enjoyed it. Its affordable in the winter, not so much in the summer, its a nice big property, it has some nice suites and rooms for groups, its got a nice indoor pool/hot tub, the quality of the staff changes with the seasons, but for the last year or two its been quite consistantly good. And the new renovations they did make it look a whole lot better, cant wait till they do the whole hotel

Big Change

by TripAdvisor Member grizzy_45

.I very much enjoyed my stay. The staff were very knowledgeable, and friendly .The room was very spotless and comfortable.I fully recommend to any person who asked on a place to stay.

The Continental DivideThe Continental Divide

Rentals at Patricia LakeRentals at Patricia Lake

Downtown JasperDowntown Jasper

Upper Station of the Jasper Tramway (2,277 m)Upper Station of the Jasper Tramway (2,277 m)

Comments