2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Lake Louise

Ice melting on LouiseIce melting on Louise

Fairmont Chateau Lake LouiseFairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Markers at the lakeMarkers at the lake

Lake Louise & Victoria GlacierLake Louise & Victoria Glacier

need to know good hiking trails around lake louise that I have to do

by 9tigers

I was in banff for a week few years ago late may, at the time lake louise was still frozed, so did not get to see it when it was most awesome, want to know what are the hiking trails that I have to do if I visit again july 8th this year.
I have been to almost every trails in banff area, besides the one around lake louise what are others I have to do?

ty

by GrumpyDiver

My favourite is the hike up to the Plain of the Six Glaciers. You start at the Chateau Lake Louise - head up to the far end of the lake. Basically uphill about 5-1/2 km to the tea house (nice break) and you have to go about another 1-1/2 km to get to the Plain itself.

We were lucky and just happened to be there while there was an icefall from one of the glaciers off in the distance, which we could see and hear.

It was quite amusing - tons of people wandering around the lake and the further we got up the hill, the fewer people we ran into. We didn't hear an awful lot of English - mostly Japanese around the lake and a lot of Germans on the climb, with a very occasional American or Canadian.

Highly recommended if you haven't done it before.

by 9tigers

great last time when we were there, it was still icy, my other question is we will not arrive until maybe 6PM and after settleing down and all, will it be safe to do some jiking to the teahouse around 7 or 8PM will I encounter bear?

by Hermanater

I have done a few hikes around there. It really depends on your physical abilities. I enjoyed Devil's Thumb that takes you past the Lake Agnes Teahouse and The Big Beehive. Sentinal Pass and Larch Valley was very nice also. If you email me your ability and dates, I may be able to find something for you. A group of us go out regularily.

by 9tigers

we can do 3-5 miles hike at one time...
we will be there july 8 - 12th (lake louis and jasper), was in banff before for a week and did all the hiking trails there :)

Travel Tips for Lake Louise

Driving Directions from Calgary International Apt.

by adventerrtravel22

Take TransCanada Highway 1 West (also signed as 16th Avenue North heading West)

After approximately 1 hour, you will reach the Banff National Park gates where you will be required to pay an entry fee.

In Banff National Park, follow the signs for the hamlet of Lake Louise.

Take the Lake Louise exit, then turn left at the intersection.

Proceed through 2 stop signs and continue on this road (4km, 2.4mi)

This will take you directly to the front doors of the hotel

How to Avoid the Crowds

by madamx

Lake Louise is a major tourist destination, and there will always be a lot of visitors here. However, there are ways you can maximize your enjoyment of the lake.

Try to get here before 10:00 or 11:00 am, and you will be guaranteed a parking spot. Also, try to go during the week as well. Weekends are especially bad. Another alternative is to go around 6 or 7 pm, especially if you are staying close by. Most of the crowds will have gone, and during the summer, it's light til at least 8 or 9 pm. Twilight is very pretty on the lake.

You can also plan your trip during late spring, such as late May or early June, when the ice will be off the lake, or into October, when again, when it's considered off-season. Make note that it can start snowing heavily near the end of October.

Lake Louise Village .

by Waalewiener

Lake louise ,the Village ,it is a cozy village ,and it has been visited by Royalty and by Movie Stars, but is also has been discovered by many others.
Lake Louise is a place where people that appreciate nature like to come and visit,but Lake Louise does have its Bistros and Lounges and there is a vibrant Nightlife.
The lower village is just minutes away from the upper lake and Chateau Lake Louise and Victoria Glacier and other mountains.

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood....

by madamx

Don't forget other beautiful places in the vicinity of Lake Louise. If you can swing it, Lake Louise is an ideal place to stay if you are into hiking or just want to take in the gorgeous scenery.

Yoho National Park ~ Yoho National Park is a mere 15 minutes west from Lake Louise and is my favorite National Park. It has huge scenery and is the smallest mountain park. Things to see: Emerald Lake and area, and Lake O'Hara

Kootenay National Park ~ Kootenay National Park can be reached in approximately 1/2 an hour from Lake Louise. Drive east from Lake Louise until you see the Highway 93 turnoff, which heads south into British Columbia. Gorgeous scenery.

Ice ,Snow and reflections in the water.

by Waalewiener

Amazing colours in the water at Lake Louise, when the sun shines on Ice and Snow there will be amazing colourful views,this picture looks like on of those colourful views.
Alaso the reflection of the mountains are somewhat visible.

Comments