4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Post Hotel & Spa
Travelocity Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Post Hotel

A Wonderful Hotel - I want to stay there again.

by TripAdvisor Member KWUK

This is a top class hotel - a magical experience staying there. Great location, high quality service, excellent rooms and fine dining. (The dining might be a bit too fine for children, though).

I hope to go to Lake Louise again and would definitely stay at the Post Hotel.

(In my view it's better to stay in Lake Louise than to stay at hotels in Banff, by the way)

What a GREAT HOTEL!

by TripAdvisor Member cokerbud

If you really want to experience the best of the best make a reservation at the Post Hotel. I cannot say enough! The rooms were perfect and the review complaining about the train was unfounded. We stayed on the train side and did not notice the train unless we looked out from our balcony. The restaurant in the hotel was the best I have ever experienced. It was not a meal, it was an event. The wait staff in the restaurant were attentive,very helpful, and made you feel at home. To insure your satisfaction the owner of the hotel will drop by your table to say Hello and make certain the experience is more than you expect. And the beauty of the area is worth the drive from Calgary.

Our 6th trip back to our favorite hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Okemosian

We just returned from our 6th trip back to the Post Hotel. We discovered it back in the early 90's and fell in love with it. We got married in the hotel's library in May of 2001. The rooms are fabulous - get a room (with fireplace) on the Pipestone River side so you can enjoy the soothing rushing noise of the river and the incredible view. The service is impeccable - every detail is taken care of. And the food is outstanding.

There was a silver icebucket with champagne waiting for us, as we're repeat guests - a very nice touch.

If you want to truly relax in extreme comfort, try the Post.

There is a new spa - we're not spa people so didn't try it - but took a tour and it looks amazing.

We'll be back again.

Lovely Hotel but the train rumbles by

The Post Hotel is absolutely lovely, the amenities, service and ability to meet our needs as a family of four. They happily gave us a tour of the hotel as we had booked a room w/ one bed but of course needed 3. Each evening @ turn down service they not only provided my husband and I with fresh water and a chocolate but did the same with our 2 children! Afternoon tea was just beautifully presented and so enjoyable. BUT "buyer" beware the Trans-Canadian Railway is on the left side of the hotel (we were on this side) and the train rumbles through every 20 minutes throughout the night!!! It also is not a short train, it must pull about 200 cars, so when you do make reservations @ this lovely hotel, I would suggest you make the reservations on the side of the river. The views of the mountains/river are just fabulous. I would absolutely stay @ The Post again.

Where "service" is more than just a seven letter word

by TripAdvisor Member Globecurious

It could have been the Switzerland, with so many of the staff from the European hotel schools, but the Post Hotel exceeded our expectations. Front desk help ready to help with our hiking plans, a quiet bar with a selection of great wines by the glass, a breakfeast buffet designed for those who prefer trail mix for lunch, and a dining room and menu that were a pleasure to dress up for. Various conversations with the staff were a bonus, all had their stories (they have lives too!) and were articulate and attentive without being gushy. Our conversation with the owner who is a regular in the dining room and at the front desk, made us feel as if we were in someone's summer chateau rather than a commerical establishment.

For comparison we spent one night in the Fairmont, and wished we had stayed at the Post. If you are paying for first class, and service is something you value, you will not be disappointed with the Post Hotel.

The Post is overrated

My husband and I stayed at the Post for our one night in Lake Louise and from the moment we arrived we were treated with rude indifference, they had a tea which was free to the guests, but they did not bother to offer it to us. As they were packing up the enticing desserts, I politely asked about it, and the desk clerk replied that it was for all the guests, but would not even get us a cookie or piece of cake. When we asked about some of the other hotel amenities they would not help us. There were some nice aspects which we found out about, but only by searching around and talking to other hotel guests. This hotel leaves a great deal to be desired in the customer service area. I wrote the manager about the problems we had encountered, and he wrote me a very curt reply. I would definitely NOT recommend it. What a disappointment!

It was perfect

We had been staying at Deer Lodge (up top) and found the food ok but not great. I had always heard about the Post and at the last minute made dinner reservations. I expected a "sorry but bugger off" for the last minute nature but the person on the phone was very accomodating.

My wife and I were a bit intimidated (not the "fine dining" types) but we were welcomed and seated at a immaculate table overlooking the lawn and with a view of the mountains. Our waiter was FANTASTIC. We relied on his guidance for everything and he did not dissapoint at all. My wife had the Buffalo Carpaccio (for carnivores this is red-meat sushi) and she said it was stunning. I had an artichoke salad that was unique and very satisfying. For a main course she had the Alberta Rack of lamb and she likes it raw.. er rare. They did not dissapoint. It was the biggest, best rack of lamb she said she ever gnawed on. I had the Cariboo Strip loin. I was amazed at the presentation and the flavours were outstanding. He recommended a Burgundy for $80 that was amazing.. utterly perfect for both meals.

We then had a break before dessert and I decied to have a port and a cigar (they have an enclosed room). He recommended a 1974 port ($40 a glass) and my wife told me to take it (the most expensive drink I ever had). Holy cow... wow... an experience. It was like a brandy infused with dried cherries and caramel.. Wow wow. I enjoyed my cigar and the wife had a decadent chocolate dessert.

Service? Perfect. There's nothing I could have asked for or would have done different. We were given a tour of the wine cellar by a helpful and extremely educated young swiss fellow. To call it a cellar is a crime. Its a vault filled (25,000+ bottles) of amazing wines. Their wine list is a TOME and no-one would strike out finding something that suits.

I read one of the previous people's comments about a tip. We tip 15% normally but when we hit the "starched tablecloth" land we go to 25%. You aren't in McDonalds.. this is a miraculous restaurant.. so $100 for a $400 meal is worth every red cent.

I wish we had stayed there. If the restaurant is any indication, the hotel must be stunning.

Perfection= being unable to add anything or take anything away.

A Phenominal Meal

We did not stay at the Post, we had Dinner there.

The meal was incredible, the service impecable. I would recommend it to anyone looking to a very special meal.

They are known for their wine list. And our server Nelson was able to recommend a suitable wine that went beautifully with our meal and fit our budget.

After dinner we were offered a tour of the new wine cellar. I do not know if they commonly open it to guests, but if you enjoy wines, ask for a looksee.

My husband also enjoyed the seperate cigar lounge. There are very few places in the Bow Valley that allow smoking, and I doubt any are as comfortable.

Nice, but at a price

by TripAdvisor Member clementine05

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Post. The property is lovely, and the gentle stream flowing in the rear makes for quite a pretty picture. It is, of course, minutes from Lake Louise and Lake Moraine. Our room was a good size, and had a deep soaking tub in the bathroom (and great towels/robes etc.). The Post has all of the modern amenities of any top hotel, and the service was fantastic. Our only complaint is that it was overpriced. We paid $300 CAD/night and it was just not worth it – we have stayed in much nicer hotels all around the world for much less…of course, everything in that area is overpriced during the summer. If you are staying in the Lake Louise/Moraine area, I would recommend this hotel over the Fairmont (which I feel is too big and too crowded…). However, there is not that much in the Louise/Moraine area to keep you occupied (or fed) so I strongly suggest staying in Banff or Canmore and taking a day trip to Louise and her more beautiful sister, Moraine.

Great hotel avoid train side

by TripAdvisor Member richreef

Beautiful experience.Wonderful people and very upscale. Excellent Chateaux and Relais property. Dinner was excellent(try the tasting menu for $90 cad/person-best meal in Canada)Take tea on the front lawn and enjoy the spa.We stayed two nights on our way to Jasper. Would recommend river side as train is loud and comes often. Wouldn't advise kids(pricey and upscale) but wonderful treat for everyone else. BTW- no air conditioning in hot summer but cools down at night.

Recommendations

by Natiesha

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a great place to stay in Banff (or Lake Louise) and Jasper, thats romantic. My partner and i will be over in Canada in beginning of August next year and will be staying in Banff for 3 nights and Jasper for 3 nights or maybe more as we have 5 weeks in Canada and also want to spend 4 days of that in Las Vegas. Thanks in Advance

Cheers Natiesha

Re: Recommendations

by madamx

There's the Rimrock Hotel in Banff, as well as a b and b that's quite romantic, called Thea's House as well. You can google their websites,

My personal pick is the Post Hotel in Lake Louise -- for ultimate romance, book one of the riverside cabins. It's a small, luxurious and intimate hotel, with a great spa, and may suites have woodburning fireplaces.

In Canmore, try the Paintbox Inn (very romantic!) again use google and get their website.

have fun!!

Re: Recommendations

by spartan

Hi,

In Jasper, try the Pine Bungalow Cabins (no tv, no phone...just peace and quiet). Located on a riverside location (the beautiful Athabasca river is just outside your door), Pine Bungalows Features quiet cozy cabins in a pinewood setting.

Phone: (780) 852-3491
Website: http://www.jasperadventures.com/index.htm

Spartan

Calgary, Alberta - a place to stay?

by neblanc

I'll be in Calgary one night with my mom and sister at the end of September. I want to stay in a nice place that is a bit off the beaten path. Any thoughts?

Re: Calgary, Alberta - a place to stay?

by Redlats

Depends on what you are doing in the city. Motels in Calgary are pretty standard - runs the gamut from * to ***. There is a motel corner in the NW corner of the city just off Hwy 1 (16th ave) that has about 20 motels in it. Good if you are planning on driving west the next morning.

by neblanc

hey,nice picture! thanks for your response. we will have stayed in lake louise area (post hotel) the week prior to that time. we fly out of calgary, but not til monday afternoon. so i don't really care if it's close to airport. i was just looking for something kind of special to end our trip on a great note.

by YVRDave

Have a look at this place.
Not on the beaten path

by neblanc

thanks so much! i'll give it a try!

Comments