111 LAKE LOUISE DRIVE, Lake Louise, AB T0L1E0
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Lovely hotel in scenic location

by bkathryn about (Fairmont) Chateau Lake Louise

We were here for a brief stay when some friends invited us to their wedding, which was held here. The hotel facilities were excellent. Though we did not have a room with a lake view, we did have a view of the nearby mountains.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN GLORY

by mtncorg about CHATEAU LAKE LOUISE

It's a great hotel, but when I am out in the mountains, I am not so lucky as to stay at a huge hotel like this. I am much more at home with the campstove a blazing and the water boiling. The only problem with campsites in and around Lake louise is the crowds and the trains. This is one of the gems of Canada of which the Empress in Victoria and the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec are on the short list. It belongs to the Fairmont Hotel chain.

Lake Louise and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

by leebee1

Lake Louise is just stunning. The water is just crystal clear and as still as day. The colour is superb. So beautiful and pristine. Its actually a shame that its so overrun by tourists, cause I found myself picturing being alone on the lake in one of those boats they rent out. Its like the place actually deserves to be silent, as opposed to having a billion tourists a day. Kinda weird thinking huh? I really dont know how to find the words to describe such a breathtaking place. The lake with the most amazing backdrop of snow capped mountains..........
The Chateau is a gorgeous building too, but mostly just because of the view you would have from your room. I cant imagine spending that kind of money to be honest, but each to their own.

Lake Louise - really overcrowded

by vtveen

Coming from Jasper and driving to Banff along the Icefields Parkway we ‘had’ to make a stop at famous Lake Louise. After the turn off we reached the small village with just some hotels, shops and the visitor centre next to the Samson Mall.

Not too fancy and we went with our car about 5 km’s further to the car parks at the lake. It was very hard to find a free place. After a short walk we reached Lake Louise (the lake ..), one of the most well known places in the Canadian Rockies. The view over the glittering water (with backlighting) of the lake to the glacier and the mountains was great.
But to be honest it was really overcrowded with people and it looked more liked a shopping mall on a Saturday afternoon than on a quiet piece of nature in the Rocky Mountains.

We walked along the lake and ended on the terrace of famous Chateau Lake Louise, a hotel with hundreds of rooms, for a drink. Afterwards we browsed through the shops and the reception area and got at least a glimpse of this luxurious hotel.

We didn’t regret leaving this sight and were a little bit disappointed about the hustle and bustle.
Perhaps it is better to come as early as possible in the morning or in the late afternoon to avoid these crowds (and the backlighting for your photos).

You definately should go to...

by Venturingnow

You definately should go to Banff and the surrounding areas that are West of Calgary. Places such as Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Red Deer, are all great. If you go to Lake Louise, check out the Chateau Lake Louise and also take a ride out to the Bow glacier, it's the picture next to this section. If you're in Banff, check out the many forms of wildlife, take a ride up the Sulfur Mountain Gondola, and take in the breathtaking views. Also in the area are great places to dog sled, which is spectacular, and great ski slopes. I suggest visiting Sunshine Village, which is only 15 min from Banff.
The whole area is just beautiful. Animals, mountains, friendly people, wonderful ski slopes!

Superb Level Of Service

by TripAdvisor Member Faithhawley

We stayed at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise for three nights Aug 25-28th. We have traveled all over the world and have stayed in many wonderful upscale hotels, but we have never received the level of excellent service that we received here. Every effort was made to ensure a wonderful stay, and the attention to detail was most impressive. Since we were celebrating our 33rd anniversary, we had splurged on a lakeview room on the Gold Floor. Not only were we given a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite, but we also found champagne in our room upon arrival. The service at the concierge desk on the 7th floor was superb in every way. Even though the hotel can feel large and crowded with tourists during the day, the feeling while staying there is of personal attention. We are already planning another trip back, and have told all of our friends and relatives about this magnificent place!

Lovely Lake Louise

by TripAdvisor Member AmyinTally

My husband and I just returned from 9 nights in the Calgary/Banff/Jasper area. We spent 2 nights at the Chateau Lake Louse. The location is absolutely wonderful and convenient to many great areas within Banff National Park.

We stayed in a Lakeside room in the new east wing. We did not find the room too small for two adults: the bathroom was very spacious and well-appointed. The room was comfortable, tastefully decorated, and functional. We enjoyed the window seat with a beautiful view of the lake, glacier, and surrounding mountains.

The restuarants were great and reasonably priced given that this is a resort. We ate at the Victoria Dining Room one night and ordered off the menu instead of the $65CDN dinner buffet. We told the waitress that we were celebrating our anniversary, and she surprised us with a complimentary plate of delicious chocolate-dipped strawberries decorated in tuxedo-style, chocolates, and fruit. We also received a bottle of champaign in our room upon arrival.

The Family Adventure Package was a relatively great deal, considering rack rates. Even though we did not travel with children, we still took advantage of the package: canoe rental on Lake Louise, tickets for the Lake Louse gondola (we saw a grizzly bear!), and milk and cookies in our room each afternoon.

The property itself and the trail around Lake Louise gets very busy late morning and afternoon, as all the tour buses stop by. The common areas are not as beautiful as the Fairmont Banff Springs. The style is mostly "Swiss" at the Chateau, whereas it is very castle-like at the Banff Springs. However, the newer east wings (Conference center and guest rooms) are beautiful. I especially enjoyed the area in front of the conference center, with historical pictures, exhibits, etc.

We would return to the Chateau Lake Louise if visiting Lake Louise again.

No No No!!

The Chateau Lake Louise is a wonderful place to visit (not stay)and a spectacular LOOKING hotel. Before our trip I read these very reviews and decided to take a chance. Big mistake.

Our room was on the parking lot side of the hotel, was small, cramped, not very well appointed, stuffy and hot. Even with the windows open there was very little fresh air. During some renovation they chose to create a "lovely" wood valance above the window so it wouldn't even open all the way. We used a bottle of Evian from the mini bar to prop the window open and then they CHARGED us for the water even though it wasn't open. There was a fan in the closet so we then tried to use that to get some air flowing in the partially opened window, used the ceiling fan and anything else we could think of but still spent 4 HOT and miserable nights.

We asked repeatedly to be given another room with no luck.
The cleaning staff wasn't interested in picking up dirty glasses and barely made the bed. We watched the Olympics on the 12 inch pitiful TV while we sweated. The dining rooms were booked with tourists not even stayng at the hotel so we got to eat in the deli. There were hordes of tourists from Japan in all the elevators and restaurants and their buses clogged the roads so it took forever to get down the mountain.

Granted, we took a last minute deal from American Airlines but still we expected to have decent accomodations for $3200.00 US. The decor of the rooms is really silly and dated. Why such a beautiful place would try to pretend it is in the Swiss Alps is beyond me.

The hotel is worth a walk through when you are there but stay down the road in any number of hotels that have actual windows that open all the way or patios. Also- $20 a day for parking with no alternative should be made clear in advance.

I will say that the staff of the hotel was absolutely the best I have ever encountered. Without them this place would be closed within months!

I am sure that the "Gold" floor is nice and the suites are really something but if you are not staying in either of those- STAY AWAY.

We loved it!

We drove to the Canadian Rockies for our 45th anniversary. We spent a terrible night in Banff. Then on the Lake Louise. We saw all of the buses and people ( we are from a town of 300 people) there are thousands at Lake Louise. We thought why not check the Fairmont. We did got a room it was wonderful. Saw the bottle of water did not use it. It was cool outside, wonderful walks, wonderful people the scenes are too too much for words. We also stayed on the driveway side of the hotel. I enjoyed watching the clouds, mountains and tons of people. We want to go back.

Lakesiiiiiide!

This is a great hotel, with one drawback. It looks bloody awful from the outside. It's in one of the nicest places in the world and you think they could have built something in keeping with the surroundings, rather than a huge concrete lunchbox. Having said that, it doesn't really matter when you're in the room (if that room has a lake view, which is well worth paying the extra for). Usual cheery north American hospitality. The deli is great for sandwiches and the glacier saloon is good for hanging out at night and having a few frames of pool. The bar that looks out across the lake is best during the day and the lake itself is a great venue for snowball fights and horse drawn rides.

Chateau Lake Louise for NY Eve

by kat_russia

(why can't I get this thread to be in proper place and under my name:-)).....

Hej!

I'm going to be in Lake Louise for this New Years Eve. I've got an idea to spend it in Chateau LL, has to be beautiful - I've been there this summer. I don't mean to stay at the hotel but just to go for a New Year Eve dinner. But to go alone is not fun so I'm looking for someone to join me. They'll have entertainment too, and I hope fireworks for the whole night.

COMING TO ALBERTA

by bindigill

hi everyone

we are planning a trip to Alberta in July....we are coming from vancouver. i would like to go to lake louise,banff,jasper,edmonton. any ideas on how i should organize my trip...we are going to be there for seven days and six nights.

thanks in advance

Re: COMING TO ALBERTA

by winterson

Hi
Are you driving? If so, the following could be a good route.

Freeway/motorway to Kamloops then take highway 1 through Revelstoke (have a look around Mt Revelstoke National Park) then through the Glacier National Park to Golden. From here you have a couple of ways to get to Banff/Lake Louise. Either stay on 1 through Yoho National Park (shorter) or head down highway 95 to Radium Hot Springs and Kootenay National Park. Then its back via highway 93 to Banff/Lake Louise. For a more scenic start to your driving holiday, I would not go on the freeway at vancouver but head for Whistler (highway 99) and then head to Kamloops through Lillooet.

From Banff, drive the Glacier Parkway to Jasper (take a whole day doing this as there are many attractions along the way). From Jasper its highway 16 to Edmonton. So for your 6 nights, I would do the following:

1 night either Revelstoke or Golden
1 Night Radium Hot Springs
2 nights Banff (day visit to Lake Louise)
1 night Jasper
1 night Edmonton (how are you going to get back?)

If you are going by train, the Rocky Mountaineer train goes to either Banff or Jasper, both stopping in Kamloops (I think they are both day trains so you will have to overnight in Kamloops). There is also a train that goes to Whistler with a connection to Jasper.
Check out: http://www.rockymountaineer.com/default.aspx

There is a bus service between Banff and Jasper (one a day, I think) as well as a Jasper to Edmonton shuttle. Check out Sundog tours;

Hope this helps,
John

Re: COMING TO ALBERTA

by rmdw

I've prepared a customized map for you of the route that I would take. IMHO it highlights amazing scenery throughout:

Robert

Northern Lights in Alberta

by freddofrog04

Hello

Is it possible to view the Northern Lights from the Canadian Rockies area (Jasper / Lake Louise / Banff) in early-mid October or even from Edmonton?

Thanks

by Babcia

Yes you can - if it is clear and if there are northern lights to begin with (some nights are better than others. There are no guarantees.)

Edmonton is better than any place in the mountains - it's further north. Just outside of Edmonton would be better - no light pollution!!

by silnik

Hi ,
I live up north, in Slave Lake (3hours north of Edmonton).
We can see gorgeous Nothern Lights but is only possible in cold days.
Good Luck,
Silvia

by Babcia

The Northern Lights have nothing to do with the weather!!!
You can see them year round, it's just that there are more hours of dark in the winter than in the summer, so they are easier to spot, especially for those people who are not familiar with the phenomenon unless it is very bright and spectacular and "hits them over the head" !!!!!

RE: RE: Northern Lights in Alberta

by silnik

I agree with you............. I think I mix up because the most beatiful Nothern Lights I have seen is in the winter time.
But you have agree with me that you can see it up North.
Bye
Silvia

by Babcia

Yes, the further north you go, the more likely you are to see them light up the entire sky (up to a point, because they form in a sort of donut shape around the north magnetic pole, which by the way is in Canada, which makes the donut shape quite patriotic :-))) !!!).

However, whenever you see bright northern lights in the north, those same lights will be visible further south (sometimes even as far south as northern California), and they will be visible in the northern part of the sky - the further south you go - the lower down towards the northern horizon.

Here in Edmonton where I live, we see lots of northern lights (if the sky is clear, that is, and lately it hasn't been - much). I've even seen northern lights in mid-July (not this year) in a twilight sky, and they pretty much covered most of the sky from north to south.

Comments