A replica of the original Fort Whoop-Up.
The original Fort was built by Traders from Montana way back in the 1870's. They came north to trade with the Balckfoot tribes all the way from Fort Benton.
They brought guns, blankets, clotyh and whiskey to exchange for buffalo robes, hides and horses.
Soon after the NorthWest Mounted Police arrived to keep the peace and probably to ensure the land stayed Canadian.
Later as the town developed in the river bitton, and trade was attempted along the river to Medicine Hat, an outcropping of coal was found.
The river trade was not viable, and a means to get the coal up the coullee of cliff side was devised, to better allow for surface travel over the Prairies by oxen and cart .
A Pavilion of photos showing the sloping rail line is located in the river bottonm, under the bridge and near the Helen Shuler Coulee Centre.
Then there were floods in the river bottom and eventually Lethbridge started to be develped on the Prairie above the river. More coal was found and the future of Lethbridge was assured.
Now the River bottom provides a green area for recreation, there is the replica of Fort Whoop-Up, the Helen schuler Centre, . Many bike and walking paths as well as picnic areas, a golf Course or two, the whole area is called Indian Battle Park. roads give access to the park and for the energetic people there are stairs that get you back up to the City itself.