Howard Johnson Whitecourt

Iosogun LakeIosogun Lake

Travel Tips for Whitecourt

Anything goes

by luvthesun

Fox Creek is so diverse-everyone comes from somewhere-most people come here,they are not born here.
The main places are-East Coast(a whole lot of Newfies-great people!!) and Saskatchewan-we have a ton of people from Saskatchewan(former farmers, I'm one). Yeah, we're great people to!

Camping/Fishing/Hunting

by luvthesun

Camping -
Iosogun Lake has beautiful secluded/private campgrounds.
9 km outside of Fox Creek. No facilities.
Hiking trail. Fishing is pretty good in summer better in the winter.(nothing beats fish caught in 20 below temperatures!!)
Smoke Lake - I like the look of this lake more-it is smaller and surrounded by pine trees, the wind rarely hits the lake so it is usually calm-great for canoeing!!!
Campgrounds are nice but Iosoguns are better. The fishing is good.
Both places-watch out for bears
I tent it - and if my husband isn't with us the kids and I come home at night to sleep.(I'm terrified of bears). We had a bear in our campground last summer(2003), just a 2 year old but curious and not scared.
There are plenty of lakes that you can only get into by walking or with a quad. They are hidden treasures
Crystal Lake-a really small pond like lake that is surrounded by pines, stocked with trout. It is very deep, fed by underground springs and the water is crystal clear. You have to walk in about 15 minutes along a man made trail. Worth it.
James lake-wet-4 wheel or quad, dry-4 wheel
Alarger lake, awesome in the winter for ice fishing, the smallest fish we caught was 8 lb Pike.
(Pictures soon to come)