2200 Cliffe Aveune, Courtenay, V9N 2L4, Canada

Travel Tips for Courtenay

Mount Washington,Courtenay,B.C.

by Greggor58

"Above the Clouds...."

Mount Washington is situated in the Comox Valley ,sort of central East coast of Vancouver Island.

This is where I learned to ski....growing up in Eastern Ontario my father had me in a pair of skates when I was four years old....and hockey was to become my Winter sport out of "conditioning"...I played hockey until I was around sixteen years old and NEVER took to the slopes until I was in my late thirties...what I was missing all of those years was the feeling of "life on the edge" quite literally..anyhow...a bit about Mount Washington..MY favourite place to ski..

This is an all Season mountain resort area but the only time of year that I have visited is during the Winter months.I make special trips to ski here every year or so..the reason that I venture here and not Whistler is mostly because here you wont find the same crowds...nor will you find the huge price for a lift ticket.Its a GORGEOUS mountain and somedays when the skies are clear,from the top of the mountain, you are presented with an almost "surreal" sight of the snow capped Coastal Mountain Range of BC behind the Strait of Georgia that separates Vancouver Island from the Mainland.

This is a not a HUGE mountain but in fact the elevation is 1588 m or 5,200 feet.
The verticaal rise is about 500 m or amost 1700 ft...They receive on average 30 feet of snow annually....although....like many place these days...weather patterns have changed in a HUGE way....the season before last they were barely able to open for most of the season.

"In his own mind....."

Racing against WHOOO....this gives you an idea of what I mean about the Coastal Mountains ...seen here above the clouds over the Strait of Georgia....

Notice how many others were with me here this dayy....but we were there during the week....weekend is a different story but its simply great to have these slopes and so few people using them...

Mount Washington is relatively easy to access....from Victoria or Nanaimo on Vancouver Island....use the Island Highway North to Courtenay and follow the signs for Mount Washington Ski area...

There is plenty of accomodation available...B&B..hotels and there are restaurants and fast food easily found both on the mountain and in the neighboring communities...Courtenay,Cumberland,and Campbell River.
Staying on the mountain is the easiest...obviously...but Courtenay is next best option.,...being the closest and having the most services for visitors,ie shopping,food,and accomodation.

"Ski Buddy...."

My old friend Rob still lives in Victoria....he and I will make the trip up Island whenever we have the chance...

I wish that I could ski half as well as Rob..

Comments