Days Inn Nanaimo

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Nanaimo

Gabriola IslandGabriola Island

Looking east towards the Strait of GeorgiaLooking east towards the Strait of Georgia

The infamous little goats behind the storeThe infamous little goats behind the store

Deck outside our window overlookng lakeDeck outside our window overlookng lake

LICENSE PLATE HOLDERS

by bristol48

My friend & i will be vacationing in Tofino mid July & staying at Ocean Village resort from July 12 thru July 17th. We were hoping to be able to meet up & have friendly conversation & lunch & or dinner with middle aged women. Also need help finding license plates holders on Vancouver Island that say Canada on it.
Looked all over last year when we visited & all were sold out. Thanks, Maria

Re: LICENSE PLATE HOLDERS

by YVRDave

I am sure the ferry will have them

Re: LICENSE PLATE HOLDERS

by Lady7

Duty free stores should have them too, also tourist shops. Why middle age woman? Aren't the very young and old acceptable? Only joking. Have a good one!

by bristol48

Thanks for your input. All the stores were sold out last year. I fly in Vicoria. So no access to boats.
My reson for middle aged is because thats what i am.
would seem to more in common to talk about.
thanks again, Maria

by bristol48

Thank for the input. We are flying into Victoria & driving to Tofino. So no access to boats. As i said last year they were all sold out. thanks Maria

by YVRDave

You will be driving through Nanaimo. There are alot of shopping malls you can stop in where you can find licence plate frames. Large gas stations may have them too.

Travel Tips for Nanaimo

Musicians on the street

by Karolina01

After enjoying the beautiful sunset in Nanaimo, we stopped to listen the performance of this music group. I am very sorry but I forgot to write down the name of the band. The music that they performed was really good.

Nanaimo

by EnochH

"Nanaimo"

Wow, what a fabulous time I spent here, in the place where I can safely say I have been the happiest of my life.
I met a wonderful group of people here, and made so many friends. I went over only knowing one person, who had to travel away for half of my time (he didn't abandon me, it was the plan, haha.) In my first week I made friends with a few lovely people, who soon plugged me into their social pipeline.
From then on, I was one of the group, went to parties and eventually moved in with one of them for a month.
From this base I experienced life like never before. The Canadian people I came into contact with are a model for human life. I felt so welcomed, so warm and so at home.
All the time I spent there I made SO many friends, and felt so very upset to leave. I can highly recommend this area of the world to everybody. Places very dear to me in the locale are; Parksville, Coombs, Nanaimo itself, particularly the lovely people at club 70Below, and a big thank you to all the Summer friends I made - V, Kat, Char, Anna but to name a few!

Gateway to Vancouver Island

by Elli99fh

"Of All the Gin Joints in all the World...."

... most are in Nanaimo. (I didn't make that up, it was on a Nanaimo website.) There are a lot of fun, unique places in Nanaimo to go out and party. Check out the Dinghy Dock Pub, Canada's only floating pub.

"See the Waterfront"

We always go down to the waterfront and walk the docks. I love looking at all the fishing boats -- I want to own a troller someday. The waterfront park is really nice. If you are here in July, check out the bathtub race.

"But that's not all!"

Explore downtown for lots of cool places to dine and shop. The get out of town and explore the recreational opportunities at the parks in the area, or explore other areas of Vancouver Island.

Nanaimo, hub of Vancouver Island

by Darby2

My brother lives in Nanaimo near Hammond Bay. It's a former coal mining town and some of the old tunnels stretch out under the water s of Georgia Strait. Today it's a busy commercial and transportation center and is the second largest city on the Island after Victoria. Its oldest buildings date back to the 1850's, the most famous of which is the Bastion, a former Hudson's Bay Company fort.

One thing you will notice in this area are the many Arbutus (Madrone) trees. They are one of the few broadleaf evergreen trees that shed their bark every year. This picture shows one of the trees in Newcastle Island Park in Nanaimo harbour.

"Nanaimo Bars!!!"

These scrumptious little squares were invented in Nanaimo and have since become famous around the world

Recipe:

Ingredients:

***Bottom Layer ***

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
* 1/4 cup sugar

* 2 teaspoons cream
* 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
* 2 cups icing sugar

***Third Layer ***

* 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

Bottom Layer

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.

Second Layer

Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

Third Layer

Melt chocolate and butter overlow heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.

This recipe for Nanaimo Bar (Official) serves/makes 24 bars.

Comments