621 Baker Street, Nelson, V1L 4J3, Canada
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Nelson

Blaylock Resort & Health SpaBlaylock Resort & Health Spa

Totem pole, Toad Rock style!Totem pole, Toad Rock style!

Kootenay LakeKootenay Lake

SS Moyie KasloSS Moyie Kaslo

Travel Tips for Nelson

Cody Caves

by mbsimjam

The Cody Caves are a rare occurence anywhere in the world where a cave actually travels horizontally for about 200 m or more. It is located up a mountain a few km from Ainsworth Hot Springs (about 50 km from Nelson).

There is a tour there (about 10 or 15 bucks, 1 hour) that takes you far into the cave, teaching about the history, the geology and the affects of it.

It was very interesting and a great experience.

Chillers Pub

by Camping_Girl

Chillers is about 10 miles from Nelson, take the 3A highway along the north shore. It is in the tiny community of Duhammel. Turn at the Duhammel General Store and it is a short drive up the hill. The official address is 2723 Greenwood Road

This little pub has live music on the weekends and they also have a great outdoor patio. Their food is really, really good. Every Saturday night the dinner special is prime rib. The locals come from near and far to have it. DH said it was "outstanding".

The wait staff are friendly and generally pretty easy on the eyes, too. =:)

What a Beautiful Place!

by Camping_Girl

"Incredible Heritage Town"

For those of you who follow my postings in the travel forum, you'll know that I am constantly raving about Nelson. Maybe these pictures will help you understand why. I was taken aback by the beauty of this town when we first visited.

I want to get back here after I get my bike - these are some great motorcycle roads! Now that a friend of mine has bought a place here, maybe we will be able to visit more often...

"Historic Buildings Add to the Charm"

There are dozens of buildings in Nelson which are on the historic register. The town is very clean and friendly. But there is some controversy regarding their "no dog" policy. Folks are not allowed to bring their dogs downtown with them, even on a leash. They are not allowed! Needless to say, a lot of people appreciate this rule, while a lot of other people do not!

"The Lakes"

The Kootenays are one of my favorite spots in BC. This picture was taken from the Crawford Bay/Balfour ferry, which crosses Kootenay Lake.

Stress Reduction Kootenay Style

by glicko

"The drive..."

So it was the weekend. My roommate and I were tired of the Calgary rat race and decided to head out to the Kootenays. We finally got on the road at 6 pm. Just in time to fight our way south down Macleod Trail at rush hour. Six lanes, none moving, temper just at the boil when the lights at 162 Avenue turned green. Relief...finally the open road. Down Highway 2 to Aldersyde, a quick right onto Highway 2A and then down to Secondary 543. West across the prairies to Highway 22. Then south to the Crowsnest Highway. Then west as we wound our way up to the Crowsnest Pass. Finally, we are out of Alberta.

"Night falls..."

After fueling up on the cheap gas ($0.10 less per litre) in Coleman on the Alberta side of the pass, I pressed on over the continental divide and down through Fernie, Cranbrook, and Creston. Narrowly missing a deer outside Creston, I slowed my pace a bit. We creeped down the hot streets of Creston before I again put my foot down and we climbed the thousand metres to the top of Kootenay Pass and then coasted down into Salmo, then up Highway 6 to Nelson. Spent the night at the New Grand Hotel. And woke up to a bright Kootenay morm...

"Saturday morning on Baker Street"

That song was stuck in my head..."Baker Street." All through breakfast. Baker is Nelson's main drag. There are numerous fine places to grab breakfast along Baker... but there is only on Red Fish Grill. Word from one who knows, don't get the "Big Shark Breakfast" unless you are truly a gastronomic masochist:

- three eggs
- bacon AND sausage (two fat strips and three big links)
- exceedingly tasty hashbrowns
- two monstrous buckwheat pancakes
- and several pieces of toast.

Why do they even bother with the toast? Has anyone ever actually eaten it after eating such a ludecrous amount of food? Oy...

Thankfully, the Oso Negro (black bear) coffee is plentiful and excellent. And the staff is patient.

"A walk to the park (Dave does the tourist thing).."

To walk off a sizable breakfast we let gravity do its work. Descending Josephine Street to the lake. Dave had the dire need to ride the street car. I was loath to wait for it, so we walked along the lake to the beach. I watched the girls in their bikinis absorb the sun and generally let my brain turn to porridge. Ahhhh, sun...

"A hike on Coffee Creek..."

After the ride on the streetcar and Dave's insistance on getting as absolutely many pamphlets from the Visitor's Bureau...we headed up Kootenay Lake on Highway 3A. Having missed the free ferry to Kootenay Bay at Balfour we headed north along Highway 31 toward Ainsworth Hot Springs. But we were sidetracked by the rushing waters of Coffee Creek. I pulled off the Highway just before the one-lane, wooden bridge that carries Highway 31 across the frothing waters of the creek and surveyed the area...

But we eventually got restless and decided to go for a hike. However the creek had down an admirable job obliterating the trail. The going was somewhat unsteady in spots where the creek had washed out several hundred feet of the old dirt road, leaving rocky dirt cliffs 40 feet high with a torrent at the bottom. But never one's to pass up a challenge...

Having finally grown bored with navigating up Coffee Creek, we made our way along the river back to the highway.

"Onward to Kaslo..."

Kaslo is a small town about 70 km northeast of Nelson. The drive there is spectacular and the town is quiet and friendly. We wondered around, again harrassing the tourist information people. Finally we settled for beer and pizza at the Crazy Cafe (Front Street and A Avenue).

Comments