Lockehaven Waterfront Bed and Breakfast

2136 Lockehaven Road, North Vancouver, V7G 1X6, Canada

More about North Vancouver

The view of Vancouver from inside the SeaBusThe view of Vancouver from inside the SeaBus

Twin FallsTwin Falls

Families on the beach at Lynn CreekFamilies on the beach at Lynn Creek

Lonsdale, North VancouverLonsdale, North Vancouver

Travel Tips for North Vancouver

A North Vancouver Boyhood - Howard Grant

by spitball

When we were young we used to play Cowboys and Indians the whole long day
We'd ride for hours upon a 'horse' and circle the wagon's if attacked in force.
As time went by our play it changed and we no longer rode upon the range
But acquired guns, and, as our army grew, the shots they rang, as our foes we slew.

Now and then we'd beat retreat and pool our coins and go buy sweets.
Then sit in forts perched high in trees and gaze down on the world in a peaceful ease.

Like clockwork almost every year some new fad would then appear, Hoola-hoops and pogo-sticks
Frisbees and some yo-yo tricks. We'd carry jars to distant ponds, and fight through bracken, ferns and fronds
Then scoop up tadpoles and take them home, to watch frogs emerge from light green foam.

There was no wall we could not scale, no fence was built could be our jail
There was no tree we could not climb, the higher the branches, the more sublime.

As the day grew long the air would ring
With our mothers calls as our names they'd sing
And we'd shuffle home and watch T.V.
In the living room with our family
As dinner neared, our mom's would implore
Us to go wash our hands, pleas we chose to ignore
Until something in the tone of her voice
Told us we had no other choice.

With T.V. on we'd sit and eat
Some fried pork chops or other meat
Some mashed potatoes and canned cream corn
"Eat all your dinner" our dad might warn.

We'd sit up straight when it was time for dessert,
A bowl of Jell-O or canned pears in syrup
Some custard with some cold canned plums
Or maybe rice pudding mixed with plump raisons
And, depending on the light left in the day
There still might be time left to go out and play.

But eventually we'd be called inside
And, with a bathtub filling, there'd be few places to hide
From our mothers arms we'd try to dash
But, once in the tub we'd swim and splash.

We'd do three laps and take a mouthful of air
Then go under water and wash our hair.
We'd get toweled off, and with the day's dirt now gone
We'd hurry to get our P.J's on
And then we'd beg to stay up awhile
Using our charm, our wit, our guile
But if that didn't work, and it rarely did
We'd pay attention to our dad when he said, "Get to bed, kid"

We'd slink away as slow as snails
And tell each other scary tales
Of witches sleeping under stairs
Who'd grab for kids who caught unawares.

Soon enough we'd be in bed
And wait for stories to be read
Uncle Wiggly or Dr. Seuss
Or a Golden Book that we might choose
Then we'd drift to sleep after having been tucked in
And safely slumber there before a new day could begin.

Capilano River Regional Park (North Vancouver)

by sunnywong

There are lot of trails near the Salmon Hatchery. All free, including parking.

Direction: To get there take Highway 1 and exit off the Capilano/Grouse Mountain exit 9 (exit 14) and drive north along Capilano Road about 1.5 km to the fish hatchery turnoff, or continue on Capilano Road for another kilometre to the Cleveland Dam parking lot.

The Most Beautiful Place on Earth

by Cuteclu

"Sea to Sky"

Having been many places in the world, I can honestly say that my home is one of the most beautiful places in the world. The city of North Vancouver has everything; sparkling rivers to swim and fish in, mountains to hike and ski on, beaches for swimming, sunbathing, playing with friends, and loads of cafes, boutiques, shops, and restaurants to suit all tastes.

"Food and then some"

Are you a fanatic about your food? Well, even the pickiest eater can find something to suit their tastebuds in North Vancouver. Everything you could want is available on the North Shore...Indian, Greek, Chinese, Thai, Pizza, Italian, Western, Mexican, and my all time favorite Japanese. Oh, what would life be like without sushi??

"So Close to Everything"

North Vancouver is so close to everything...downtown Vancouver, Squamish (the outdoor capital of Canada), Whistler/Blackcomb, and everything in between. Lucky or what??

Home sweet Home

by itchyfeet_agian

"Home"

I am horribly homesick as I am writing this-

North Van as anyone in the Greater Vancouver area knows it has a lot to offer tourists. Yes there are things to do ouside the downtown core!!!

Grouse Mountain is a great place for hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter or perhaps to have your wedding reception- which is exactly what I am doing in a few weeks!

The sky ride takes you one mile up the mountain to the lodge where you can go visit grissly bear cubs, check out cool wood carvings, ski of course or get a yummy beaver tail pastry.

There is also 3 restaurants with city/ ocean views- inexpensive, moderate and holy hell expensive...but it's all good food.

If hiking is your thing than North Van is for you- Lynn Headwaters Park has various trails that are open usually year round. They take you through the forrest of the North Shore and depending on which one you take- up some of the mountains too.

The Capilano suspension Bridge is quite the experience for those afraid of heights. The bridge spans I think about 300m accross the rocky cliff above the capilano river. There is also tails, some wildlife and fish ponds on one side of the bridge and totem poles, a gift shop and First Nation artisan exhibits on the other.

Lonsdale Quay-

Very cool open air market place and mall. The international foods here are great and fresh produce should not be taken for granted( as I am now learning- St. Louis has crappy produce).

Go up Lonsdale about 10 blocks and you will come accross the best sushi in Vancouver- in my opinion.

Kokoro is a small restaurant with fantastic rolls- and nigiri sushi. It is closed sundays and only open for dinner. DO NOT leave North Van before tasting this sushi.

Fun with Friends

by Cuteclu

"All the fun I've had this summer..."

This summer has been excellent. I've got to spend so much time with the people I love, and have enjoyed every second of it in beautiful BC.

So, this travelogue is just a taste of some of the things you can do too, with or without friends...

I had a blast...I hope I'll do it again next year!

"Sunset At Spanish Banks"

Half of the fun was just walking around the gorgeous beaches in Vancouver and seeing all of the things people were doing.

I can see why people think the West Coast is so healthy...it's because it is. There were always people out running, biking, or doing other healthy activities.
Day or night, there was something going on.

Here at Spanish Banks, people practiced their kyaking in the breathtaking backdrop of the city at sunset.

"Soccer Parties"

Fi graciously let me tag along to her millions of events she attends...which was fantastic.

I got to play soccer and I met some really incredible people. So nice and welcoming. I loved the ability to get outdoors and play, and, even though I am bad at soccer, I had a great time doing it.

My first night, we even celebrated a birthday with cupcakes on the field. Awesome!

"Beach Volleyball"

Beach volleyball happens all over the city, on beaches, in parks, and in parking lots.

The good thing is it is fun! And after volleyball on Wednesdays, they go for ribs...yummmmmm!! and they are only $6 for a full plate.

There are so many we have to share!!! But they're sooo goood!

"Dancing at the Blarney Stone"

The Blarney Stone is a Vancouver tradition.

The band there has been playing for as long as I can remember, and they are still great. You always have a good time there, and always have fun.

Even guys get their dancing shoes on, even my brother...and he's got the Irish dancing moves....let me tell you.

CarrieAnn also got in the mood to jig...you just can't help it.

"Out with the girls!"

Out with the girls is always a good time, especially if it's out at Celebreties.

This was a really good night, made better by the fact theat the music was good, there were no sleazy people trying to hit on us, and there was space to dance.

So goo, so worth it.