Ocean Breeze Bed and Breakfast

Ocean Breeze Bed and Breakfast
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

More about North Vancouver

Inside the SeaBus going to North VanInside the SeaBus going to North Van

Crossing the suspension bridgeCrossing the suspension bridge

A waterfall along the cliffsA waterfall along the cliffs

Lynn Valley, North VancouverLynn Valley, North Vancouver

Travel Tips for North Vancouver

Sexy, Sexy, Sexy....

by spitball

When in the mood, and you'd like some extra's, this shop looks like a good choice.
There are three locations for this business. North Vancouver at the Lonsdale Quay market, and in Burnaby across from Metrotown, their phone number there is: (604) 433-0112, and one located up in Whistler village on the village stroll next to Blenz (near Marketplace) hotel delivery is available. (604) 932-6906

Nature, away from the crowds

by Cuteclu

Instead of spending just a few minutes in Lynn Canyon Park, why not spend a few hours hiking in it. There are some fantastic hikes and great scenery that many people, aside from those who live in North Vancouver, never get a chance to see.

Pack a lunch and some water, and treat yourself to a natural forest just as beautiful and enchanting as anything you'll find in the tropics.

A word to the wise...wear proper shoes....the paths are NOT made for high heels. And, obey the signs and fences. Too many tourists have been injured or killed because they decided they knew better than the people who maintain the parks.

Other than that, be prepared to be astounded.

North Vancouver is enjoying an upgrade

by spitball

"My original hometown"

North Vancouver, which is located directly across the inlet from the city of Vancouver, is the place where I spent my early years growing up, we had alot of fun over there, farms along our street, a rooster crowing at the end of the lane, a view of Grouse mountain through our kitchen window, where skiers could be seen on the cut. Weekend hikes up this mountain were common, these days it's become thee thing to do for adventure hikers, it's called "the Grouse grind" now. Back in those days traffic in the city wasn't as it is today, and you could actually see all the way down into the states from the top of the mountain. Not much luck with that these days. Across the street from us were the Scotts who had chickens and a pregnant mattress down in their basement which seemed to birth kittens on a continual basis. I have a vivid memory of an old man pushing his steel wheeled wheelbarrow up our street some days, and the sound of the wheel on the concrete sidewalk sounded like thunder to me. Families all dressed in their finest, walking up our street on sundays going to church. Catching bull heads down at the bottom of Lonsdale beneath the Seven Seas floating restaurant which used to be the ferrie across the harbour. Building forts in the bushes and chasing waterstriders across the surface of the streams. Paper shack bullies. Two sulkies being pulled by two beautiful brown mares up our street on their way somewhere, deer leaping from lot to lot and across to the bush across the street from our house. The circus setting up on Lonsdale school grounds and staying for a week, watching the elephant sway from foot to foot in his trailer, then getting sneezed on by him, which left a few of us with little white droplets of snot on our arms. The Supervalue Grocery store on 19th and Lonsdale which had stuffed animal heads mounted on plaques collecting dust and hung on the store walls. Nygards beside Lonsdale school, Mom and Pops restaurant where everyone was welcome, Chows grocery on lower Lonsdale and Paines hardware store with it's classic very well worn wooden floor boards and sliding ladders which ran along the upper shelves. The Red and White grocery store at the corner of 23rd and Lonsdale, who's owners are still in the business but now are over in Edgemont village by the upper levels highway. And who still remember their old customers, it doesn't matter how long ago it seems.

"Going Back To a Gentler Time"

I think because of my early childhood memories, and sometimes I think I've got more than my fair share {not that I'm complaining mind..} I've always had this connection to earthy things. Like the smell of freshly broken soil, the rustle of wind-blown leaves, the crowing of a distant rooster, the clip-clopping of horses hooves on blacktop. The sight of a deer running through the neighbours yard and out and across our street to the 'bush' ~ and that bush was like our own special spot when we were young. We had a fallen tree over there that a bunch of us kids used to sit and bounce on, while singing Petula Clarks' "Downtown" at the top of our lungs! (Now I'm beginning to date myself).
Back then, the 60's, was a simpler time, safer then. The original Batman TV show was on, the neighbourhood could hear my dad yell "BATMAN!" when it would come on, and every kid would run to our house to watch it. Parents back then, could allow their kids to stay out after it got dark and not worry about them, because they had nothing to worry about.
We used to head out on Hell~oween night, fill our pillow cases to the breaking point, dump that off back at the ranch, and head out for more candies.
(we were only allowed to eat just a few, but always snuck some before we got home. Of course)
Sure, you would hear stories of someone finding a razor-blade inside an apple, so we were careful, dad would go through the loot, and see if there were any suspicious items. But nothing ever came up. I remember one year, a kid who lived in the next street got mugged by some older kids, who took all his candy, so our dad made us give him some of ours (but dad, that's our stuff, we,we ......oh, alright) The year they paved our street was one of the big thrills I remember, the whole street of us kids waited impatiently till the blacktop was ready, then we rode those bikes up and down that smooth blacktop till way after bedtime. Our fathers weren't going to stop our fun, and their quiet homes; so we all got back to our beds, and passed out completely till morning. Wide awake and geared up to do it all over again! But now we had to watch it. Traffic! But it was only a two lane, so we still had fun.

"Long Hikes to Distant Lands"

One very nice area when I was younger, and it still is to this day, is the Lynn Canyon Park. We would ride our bikes there, it was a long ride, especially on young legs. But once you got there, mann, it was the greatest playground anyone could wish for! Hectares of woods to get lost in. None of us ever really got lost, we always could trust our friends not to run too far away from us. But sometimes during a game of hide and seek, little one's could get worried. The Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge is still hanging there between the gorge. Once in awhile you'll hear stories of tragic events out there, but all in all, its as safe as you want it to be. When I was small, I really had a huge problem with heights, and when that bridge would bounce and sway from all the foot traffic, I really got concerned. Later as teen-agers, we'd run across there, leaping and jumping to try and make that thing move. When you're a teen, you like disrupting people. I joined in, I'll admit it, but not if I could see that the people were worried, because I still remembered what that felt like.

Just a Seabus ride away

by stodmyk

North Vancouver is considered by many to be an extension of Vancouver proper -- but it's a unique city unto itself. Jump on the Seabus from Waterfront Station, and you've got a 10-15 minute ride across the water to Lonsdale Quay. Shops, cafes, and a great across-the-water view of Vancouver's downtown core await you there.

Take a bus from the Quay, and you're only 20 minutes from three different North Shore Mountains. Cypress, Grouse and Seymour all offer hiking, biking and siteseeing in the summer, and skiing, boarding and snowshoeing in the winter.

To make it easier for people to find, I've put most of my comments about North Vancouver and the North Shore mountains in my Vancouver pages. (This despite my opening sentence on this page... Go figure. ) Anyway, check 'em out for more scenic shots of hiking the North Shore.

Lynn Canyon

by Carmanah

On a sunny Sunday afternoon, me and my friend from work got up early and met up at Vancouver's Waterfront Station. After treating ourselves to a coffee at Starbucks, we walked down the ramp to the Seabus and took it across Burrard Inlet to Lonsdale Quay. At Lonsdale Quay, we could see our bus #228 waiting for Seabus passengers. As soon as we boarded, the bus left immediately and climbed its way up through North Van suburbia until it arrived 20 minutes later at Lynn Canyon Park.

Lynn Park has always been one of my favourite parks since childhood, but it was my friend's first time there. We walked towards the suspension bridge only to find it full of people. Rather than cross it as it was busy, we snapped photos of a nearby waterfall and decided to walk down the Baden-Powell trail instead.

The Baden-Powell trail took us down the canyon walls to the creek below. It was absolutely beautiful down there. The trails were covered in snow but the creek was rushing by, and the surfaces of the trees and rocks were covered in lush carpets of vibrant green moss.

The Baden-Powell trail eventually climbs back up to the top of the canyon and strangely, it takes you out of Lynn Canyon Park and back onto a suburban street. However, there was a little general store immediately across from where the trail left us, so we went there and grabbed some snacks and drinks and walked back to the main entrance of Lynn Canyon. We then crossed the suspension bridge and took a trail heading to the right. It took us deep into the forest and down a series of staircases.

Along the trail we came across a bridge crossing Twin Falls. The falls were incredibly powerful cascading down from one rocky outcrop to another. Once on the other side of the bridge you climb back up the canyon walls up a series of staircases and you end up at the main entrance next to the suspension bridge.

We crossed the suspension bridge once more and this time headed left towards Rice Lake. It takes about half an hour to walk there. It's a lesser travelled path and was covered entirely in snow. It felt really magical and so far removed from the city. Once we got to the lake, it was covered in thin ice, but people were ice fishing off a dock there. We walked around the lake - it took about 45 minutes as the path was slippery with snow and ice. By the time we got back around we saw a sign pointing back to the road to the bus loop. And funny enough, we found ourselves back at the spot across the street from the general store.

Over all we spent about 4 hours at Lynn Canyon Park. I think we walked every single trail in the park and it was hugely enjoyable. We came in February which is the middle of winter. Although there was no snow in Vancouver, Lynn Canyon, being at the foot of the mountains in the wilderness, is a bit colder and snow tends to linger there longer. But as long as you have sturdy footwear and are in the mood to be surrounded by nature, Lynn Canyon is an absolutely beautiful place to visit.

Comments