1528 Whiffen Spit rd., Sooke, V9Z 0T4, Canada
Booking.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

More about Sooke Harbour House

While You're Still On That Spending Spree ....

by madamx about Sooke Harbour House

My husband treated me to this place for a very special birthday, and it is very, very special. This is a high-end lodge, and even in laid-back BC, our arriving at the hotel in dirty hiking clothes raised a few eyebrows and my little Corolla looked more at home in the staff parking lot.

Located near the Straight of Juan de Fuca, this place oozes charm and elegance. Each suite is huge (the bathroom big enough to be another bedroom easily), and has a theme. Breakfast and a boxed lunch are included in your room rate. We stayed in the "Phycologist's Study" -- basically the theme was the sea and seaweed. There were unique works of art decorating the room, such as paintings, kelp baskets, and a beautiful stained glass window with a picture of kelp.

There was a huge wood-burning fireplace, and our suite looked out onto the ocean. You can also gaze out onto the ocean from your giant soaker tub located on your private deck. You also have a beverage centre and mini-fridge

Warning: food portions for breakfast and boxed lunch tend to be very, very small -- you can request bigger portions. The restaurant is rated one of the top restaurants in the world, and uses produce from their own on-site gardens. I found the food too nouvelle cuisine for my liking, and in all honesty, have found better high-end food at lower prices.

by madamx

The fabulous Sooke Harbour House has a restaurant which is one of the top rated restaurants in the world.

It is only open to the general public for dinner from 5 pm each evening. The menu is written during the day and literally the food is fresh from the sea -- I dined on seafood that was caught just of the pier on Whiffen Spit near the hotel, plus scallops that the owner himself dived for that day. The menu focuses on regional cuisine and they use many items from their herb gardens on site.

Book earlier in the week if you want to sit in the dining section overlooking the ocean. The food here is not cheap, and is a special occasion place for sure. I could not get enough of the fresh seafood; the crab in particular. In my opinion, though, I have had this quality of food or even better (such as at The Post Hotel in Lake Louise) for cheaper prices, which lowered my satisfaction rating. However, they do have a captive market here from the guests here.

If your pockets are empty enough and you don't order dessert, at the end of the meal you are given a small plate of sweets, which I thought was a nice touch. The service here is good, and personalities of the wait staff ranged from snobbery (listen fella, we're paying you to serve us) to friendly and warm.

Supermarkets

by madamx about Village Food Market / Western Foods

We were tired of the fancy shmancy food at the Sooke Harbour House (we could only eat scrambled eggs stuffed in a tiny popover with roasted red pepper sauce only so much) and were on the prowl for some REAL food, as we were hiking daily.

Suprisingly, the local supermarkets' deli/bakery sections sell quite a few hot food items ready to eat, such as crispy chicken wings, chicken, hot pizza bread and other such items. Also, the prices were very reasonable. The Western Foods I remember sold the BEST fried chicken, not greasy or salty.

If you are looking for a...

by tripster

If you are looking for a romantic bed and breakfast getaway go to the Sooke Harbor House. Every room is decorated differently (they have about 15) with beautiful views of the water. The best I have been to.
We stayed in two rooms (to get a feel for two different designs) and in each and they put a carafe of port in your room with two glasses and prepare a fire in your personal fireplace. very romantic.
$200 USA per night but worth it! A beautiful garden where the chef grows vegetables and edible flowers for the 5 star restaurant at Sooke Harbor House.

Juan de Fuca Marine Trail / Sooke

by madamx

The Sooke area is famous for it's wild natural beauty and for outstanding hiking. It is about a 35km drive west of the tourist mecca of Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Our main reason for going to Sooke was the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail.

The Juan de Fuca Marine Trail is not as famous as the West Coast Trail, but offers an easier alternative to people who don't want to do long-distance backpacking. There are several access points so you can do a little or a lot, and has gorgeous scenery all the way. If you are not a big hiker, I recommend the trails at East Sooke Regional Park.

I highly recommend booking an eco-tour, as our biologist guide took us to some interesting points along the trail and he spoke to us about botany and wildlife in the area. We also hiked along Sombrio Beach, and Botanical Beach, where we got to view and learn about sea life that we saw at low tide. He also showed us some "secret" places as well, such as a hidden waterfall, and pointed us to other beautiful places to hike, such as Alyard Farm.

The town itself is pretty non-descript, and there's not much to see except the small Sooke Regional Museum. However it's perfect as a base to tour the area. There are many beautiful bed and breakfasts in and around the town, as well as the magnificent Sooke Harbour House.

B&B's in Sooke

by nebulaflash

We're contemplating staying in Sooke for two or three days in the fall - can anybody suggest a good bed and breakfast and what sites to visit while there?

Re: B&B's in Sooke - that's in British Columbia, Canada

by nebulaflash

Realized that my first question didn't give all the location details

Re: Re: B&B's in Sooke - that's in British Columbia, Canada

by rmdw

Dear Janet,

I lived in Victoria but never stayed in Sooke. I can't say it's my favourite place in the world but the surrounding nature is quite spectacular. I found this site for you: http://www.sookebnb.com/calendar.html

Just remember that prices will be at their premium from now until the end of the summer. But perhaps with the expected shortfall of American tourists, you might be able to work out a deal with one of the proprietors!

Robert W.

Re: Re: B&B's in Sooke - that's in British Columbia, Canada

by galy

Sooke Potholes nationa park is a beautifull phenomenon. These potholes were made through the natural erosion process by the rushing waters of the River.
Another beautifull place is China Beach a sandy beache for easy strolling as well as rugged west coast trails for more adventurous hiking.
For a plesant lunch try 17 Mile House Pub Restaurant, just outside sooke on the way to Victoria.
If you want a great but expensive dinner try Sooke Harbour House.
The best restaurant we ate in the area, and not as expensive was"point no point" on the road that goes west from sooke.
Check: