9801 Spalding Road

Priceline.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Poets Cove Resort And Spa

Loved Poets Cove

Just returned from a 3 day stay in the lodge at Poets Cove and were very pleased with the accomadations and service. Ate at both restrurants and although pricey the food was excellent and service very prompt. Our room was terrific with a nice deck and very comfortable bed. Housekkeeping was good. Nice to have separate adult and childrens pools. Fitness center very nice. Staff was helpful and very friendly. Really can't imagine how this place got bad reviews! What ever was wrong-they fixed it.

Wonderful time at Poets Cove

I had read some earlier reviews of the resort and was a little nervous about my stay but I am so glad my husband and I decided to go. Our room was beautiful and so comfortable. The view was amazing and the balcony was large with great furniture to relax in. We stayed in the lodge and I can't wait to go back again. We ate in their main restaurant and the food was delicious, service pompt, and the servers warm and friendly. The moment we arrived a young man appeared to help with luggage and park our car. The reception desk greeted us with smiles and made us really feel welcome. The scenery is just amazing and this partnered by the splendid service and facilities of Poets Cove really made my weekend, and I am a tough person to impress but they did it and I look forward to my next stay.

Poets Cove is an Ode to Nature

by TripAdvisor Member Anabasis

This small, comfy, modern hotel is located in as beautiful a location as most people are ever likely to experience. Set on the rim of the eponymous cove on North Pender Island, it faces into the setting sun and is surrounded by the beautifully green hills rising sharply from the water. You can get there by ferry from Vancouver and a car ride across the island (a couple of hours total), sail in on your yacht, or (if you didn’t bring your yacht along) you can fly in on a float plane from Vancouver. It takes 20 minutes and you will see some of the most beautiful scenery in North America.

Because of its relatively remote location, the staff is drawn from a small pool of local folks and those who move to Pender to live a quieter life far from the bright lights. They are friendly and helpful to a person and our business group had a wonderful experience with every staff member. Not everything is as quick to happen as it might be at a hotel in downtown Vancouver. Nor will it necessarily happen just the way you expected. For example, I had to teach the bartender how to mix my only slightly exotic favorite drink.

Relax. You're not going anywhere.

The hotel consists of a main lodge with a few dozen rooms on two floors, a series of attached villas up the hill with 3 or so 2BR Units each and a dozen or so cottages. All face the water and there is not a bad view in the place. The lodge rooms (where we stayed) were of moderate size and nicely decorated. All had large balconies where you could sit and contemplate the peaceful scene in the cove. Each room comes with binoculars for a better view. Other amenities include a tub with a view of the water, a decently stocked mini-bar, coffee pot, Hydra bath amenities, a DVD player, and (if you just have to know what is happening out there) free wireless Internet access. No Frette 600-thread linens and only two pillows. So if you want that sensuous lux bed with 62 different pillows, Poets Cove may not be your cup of tea.

Hard as I tried, I never could get to the spa in our three days there. The spa is open from 9am to 5pm, no exceptions. Our business meetings lasted all day and they were unable to accommodate us. The steam cave has slightly longer hours and is situated under an attractive man-made waterfall. While the bar officially closes at 10 on weekdays, it appears to be more accommodating to late comers than the spa.

There are some activities that the hotel arranges: kayaking and whale watching tours. There is a nice pool for adults and a separate one for kids. For the most part though, Poets Cove is a place to do nothing.

Though there is not a wide selection of entrees and they are a bit pricey, we found the food in the Aurora restaurant delicious. There is a small store that mostly serves the boating community in the harbor where you can pick up some less expensive snacks.

I noticed that there are some grumpy comments about the service and food at Poet’s Cove here on Tripadvisor. We experienced none of this. With the exception of a certain more relaxed attitude described above, we found the service to be top notch and the food was excellent. I and my colleagues thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Poets Cove. I highly recommend it as a place to comfortably get away from it all for a few days.

Great Time with Friends at Poets Cove

We stayed in a Villa at Poets Cove Resort with some friends. It was magical from the start. The Villa was spacious, clean and well decorated in a relaxing seaside decor. We took full advantage of the great kitchen and the barbeque on the patio as we ate most of our meals at the villa. The kids enjoyed playing tennis and used the pool every day, everything was a short walk away for easy access and convenience. I found the staff young, energetic and friendly. Every time we made a request they were more than happy to accomondate us. We had such a wonderful time that we have decided to make it an annual vacation spot.

Rob Forbes,
Bowen Island
PS - A great way to get there is to travel by float plane....only 25 minutes from Vancouver.

Gulf Islands' Best Place to Stay

by donnamintoronto about Galiano Inn and Spa

My husband and I took a trip to Vancouver & then did some "island-hopping" in the Gulf Islands It was a splurge and splash trip (my version of a bit of luxury and a few spa activities)...we stayed on 3 islands: Saltspring, Pender and Galiano Island. We took a car so we could explore more of the islands: but make your ferry reservations in advance and be there in plenty of time. There is no charge for reserving (over and above the cost of your ferry) BUT there will be a new heavy-duty cancellation fee if you miss your ferry.

Of the three resorts, by far we recommend the Galiano Inn and Spa. Hastings House on Saltspring is over the top expensive, an old English Inn type, with lots of antiques and low ceilings and bathrooms that don't really feel as lush as the price demands. The food was great no question, but the Inn is seeing its age. Saying that, don't stay in the 'new suites' as the road traffic will annoy. The old suites have character and quiet. They advertise 'spa' but they don't do it too loudly and with good reason. There isn't one.
Poets Cove is new, flashy, concrete and big... staff were indifferent and rushed and we waited forever for pretty much everything. it was like being in a place where you should pick a number except no one calls it. Expensive and not worth it. The Galiano Inn: what a find. Elegant yet casual; warm yet special; staff were great, view from every room. Food was the best on our trip. Spa was intimate special and fantastic staff and services. Ask for Rich to pick your BC wines to take home. They call it the best kept secret in the islands. This is not one of those places where an "oceanfront inn" means you might stay in a room in the back...not here. Everything is ocean view. What was outstanding? pretty much everything: every room has an ocean view, private balcony, wood-burning fireplace, coffee and organic tea (and a separate kettle for the tea so it doesn't taste like coffee!), and really really gorgeous bathrooms...24kt. everything. Separate showers, big soaker tubs.

The Spa is the best I have ever been to and I have been to a hundred (so my husband says). Gorgeous steam rooms that you can book for couple relaxation; sea flotation bath for the most relaxing hour of my husband's life. Massage was out of this world.

The Restaurant: we tried everything on the menu while we were there except the desserts (diet time) and we kept saying: it's the best. Then we'd have something else and we'd say it's the best. Well, it all was.

But it was the special touches that make the whole place great...island made blackberry soap in the bath, olive oil soap by the sink, only the best of B.C. in the wine shop, the chef's crabcakes, cd's by a local artist in the rooms, the best best sleep on the beds, really fabulous treatments in the spa with windows overlooking the beach.

Poets and Pender - Lovely to a T

by TripAdvisor Member Stubey

My partner and I just returned from our 1st stay on Pender Island at Poets Cove. We stayed 2 days, and just loved it. Pender is beautiful - quiet and peaceful even in the high season.
We really enjoyed ourselves - especially the peace and solitude at Poets Cove. It's located on a quiet lane at the south end of the island.
What we liked most about Poets Cove was the size - small and luxurious. Although it was full it never felt crowded. The scale is small - only 22 rooms in the lodge, about 15 cottages and 6 villas. Our villa overlooked the adult pool, which we had mostly to ourselves. This we also loved - a pool for adults. As a childless couple we enjoyed not having to share the pools with loads of loud children - not that we don't like children, we just appreciated the quiet.
Lots of the comments I've seen complain about the food and service. Here's the download - food was quite good for a hotel restaurant - and the setting and view couldn't be beat.
We encountered courteous, friendly service at every turn. In fact, my greatest compliment is for how they managed a snafu with our reservation. We made a reservation through Expedia for a lodge room. When we arrived the hotel did not have the reservation - but immediately offered us a 2 bedroom villa at the same price. A nice upgrade, and one I didn't even have to ask for.
For what we wanted, it was perfect.

The Worst!

Never again!
Room - clean and mostly up to standard although the blinds were dusty and there were no cussions for the chairs on the patio!
Food - disgusting in their "fine dining" restaurant and very over priced. Sub standard in the pub as well. Service in the "dinding room" was disorganized, very slow and oh so unprofessional , they should have paid us to eat there! Our breakfast server, a, middlle aged woman has issues and should not be serving the public and our dinner server, Jules? made us to feel very rushed as if she was only serving us for the tip. I'm sure we disappointed her. Service in the pub was good but our meals were very disappointing.
Spa - the worst massage I have everr had. The facilities were disgustingl dirty and treatment very rushed.
Bellman - personable and attentive
Desk - efficient - thanks for suggesting Hope Bay!
Marina - didn't use but it is lovely
Activities - A middle aged man running around with out a clue,.... what activities?

My husband and I have travelled the world. Never again to Poets Cove!

A lovely spot but fails to deliver.

Wonderful getaway

Myself and my husband spent two nights at Poets Cove in a lodge room. The rooms are very nice and are all oceanfront with lovely balcony. The room was very clean and well appointed, bathroom is the best with 2 person soaker tub and heated tiles on floor.

We had dinner in Auroa restaurant, service was excellent and food was exceptional, was a little pricy but worth it. We enjoyed our spa treatments (pedicures and messages) so nice.

The steam cave and hot tub were very relaxing. We called guest services three times over 2 days for ice, extra pillows and water each time we waited no more than 5 minutes each time. We had lunch in the pub sitting outside service was also very good and the food as well.

There is no room service at this property, I did not make a reservation for our 2nd night stay in the dining room as had been half full on previous night and we found they were full. We went to the pub downstairs and were going to order from menu we asked if we could order from Auroa menu the bartender came back and said he would deliver to our room. We had a delicous dinner on our balcony and then enjoyed watching the sunset.

Checkin and checkout was quick and easy. As I was checking out front desk was asking another guest if they had enjoyed their stay response was yes and couldn't wait to return my sentiments exactly.

enough of the bad reviews, this one is good!

by TripAdvisor Member sis0876

I am glad I didnt cancel my booking, I considered it after reading the many bad reviews. My husband and I spent 2 wonderful nights there and wished we could stay more. I found no one to be rude. We were upgraded to a villa, our lodge room was given to a large wedding that was there, I didnt mind paying the same price for a 1,700 sq ft 2 bedroom villa, it was superb. We only went to the casual outdoor area and had a drink one afternoon, but I have to say all the food I saw looked yummy. We had a wonderful meal one evening at the pistaue grill in the driftwood center, very good food. The grocery store is well stocked, with a good selection of deli foods, and fresh organic produce. I look forward to going back and spending more time there.

Gulf Islands

by user911

We're planning on spending the last week of June exploring the Gulf Islands, but honestly have no idea where to start. Any recommendations for accommodation, must-see highlights, tours, dining, anything at all? We'll have a car but not a big budget. Thanks!

Re: Gulf Islands

by YVRDave

The more popular ones are Saltspring, Pender, Saturna, Gabriola and Mayne.

You will have to go to BCFerries.com to get schedules. I like Pender and South Pender. There is a resort called Otter Bay that has some cottages to rent and there is a great French Bistro about a mile up the road with a Legion half way to wet your whistle.
Poets Cove is another great spot to eat but, the accommodation may be too high.
There is the Saturna Island Lamb Roast every July 1st, it is a great event.
Saltspring is pretty busy, IMO. Gabriola is pretty laid back, I would google a B&B.
Never been to mayne but know there used to be a Mayne Island Resort but, I think it burned down

Re: Gulf Islands

by user911

Thanks Dave! That's exactly the kind of information I need. :)

Comments