Squamish Inn on the Water

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Squamish

Shannon Fallls Behind RidgeShannon Fallls Behind Ridge

Shannon Falls AreaShannon Falls Area

The tumbs and the totemThe tumbs and the totem

Pink Salmon skeletonPink Salmon skeleton

Stawamus Chief Trail

by Carmanah

I'm curious if anyone has hiked to the top of the Stawamus Chief Trail (aka "The Chief") in Squamish.

I attempted to hike it a few weeks ago, but discovered that my boots weren't up to par. I was slipping around and didn't have my usual sense of balance when climbing up those stairs.

So I'm curious how long it takes to get to the top from Shannon Falls. How much of the trail is stairs/ropes? As I only did a part of it, I didn't get to see what the majority of the trail was like. But I'll definitely be back there to do it again... perhaps in the next few weeks even.

Thanks for any tips!

by eleanorbueza

Hi Carmanah. My co-worker said that she and her husband had done the Stawamus Chief and that they found it to be slightly easier than the Grouse Grind, but it does takes longer to climb it (6 km). They say that even 10 year olds can manage it, so I don't know. Were you planning to do some wall climbing as well?

by eleanorbueza

what is this Vancouver obsession with hiking and being outdoors all the time?! I'm starting to get into it too!

Re: Re: Stawamus Chief Trail

by Carmanah

Hehe... no idea. All I know is that I usually go hiking through the local mountains once every summer.

I wasn't planning to do rock climbing though... I'm a coward when it comes to those kinda heights. ;)

Thanks for the info!

by eleanorbueza

not related to your posting, but I think you are really lucky to have had your Vancouver info migrated to the new site already. You are also lucky that you are able to list Steveston as you hometown - I had to list "North Surrey" as my hometown because there is no such thing as "Surrey" on VT yet. As you may know, Whalley is part of North Surrey ... I ain't no Whalley girl.

Re: Re: Stawamus Chief Trail

LOL!!

I know... I wasn't sure, "should I choose Richmond? or Steveston?"

Richmond is my address, but Steveston is my neighbourhood. So Steveston it was, and good thing too! I have WAAAAAY too much info on Steveston, and putting it under Vancouver's "Off the beaten path" was getting a bit tiring. ;)

About Surrey - I'm sure they'll add something in the future. I noticed West Vancouver was lacking from that list too. That, and Delta. And Whistler! But I think they're fixing the Whistler bit, as you can probably remember how many people had Whistler writeups under the Vancouver/Canada page on the old VT!

by flyguyca

I've done the trail many times (I live in Squamish). The time can vary depending on which peak you choose to hike to and how fit you are. I've done it car to car in just over an hour with running shoes.. but most take 3hrs or so.
Only the lower section has the majority of the stairs, with just a few short sections mid trail and near the peaks there are short ladder sections.
Word of advice - be prepared on the trail- food, clothing, h20 etc. The weather on the peaks can be quite different than at the trailhead.

RE: RE: Stawamus Chief Trail

by skywalkerbeth

I am considering doing this as well. not climbing - just regular hiking. I used to hike and bike a fair bit, I have not been nearly as active in the past year (although I'm still thin) so I don't know if I am biting off more than I can chew? is there a prettier part of the trail to see, if I have a few choices?

Travel Tips for Squamish

CAP COLLEGE

by jhorsfield30

The Squamish campus of Capilano College initially opened in 1973 to serve the Howe Sound communities of Squamish, Whistler, Mount Currie and Pemberton.

In addition, local community members and people can use the local IT resource there for study and work.

Located in the beautiful thriving community of Squamish, known as the Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada
The campus offers a variety of preparatory and University Transfer courses, as well as programs in:
Wilderness Leadership
Destination Resort Management
Festival & Event Coordination
Special Education Teacher Assistan
Applied Business Technology Online
Counselling, advising and internet access are available to all members of the community
Capilano College
Squamish campus
P.O. Box 1538, 1150 Carson Place,
Squamish, BC V0N 3G0
Tel: 604.892.5322; Fax: 604.892.9274
Call toll-free from the Vancouver area: 604.986.1911, ext. 5800

THE WIFI HOTSPOT

by jhorsfield30

The 'Hot Spot', the Satellite Labs and SSCN are non-profit programs of the Sea to Sky Freenet, a federally registered charity.
An excellent place to use the net with excellent programmes for locals and travellers,
the place to go for volunteering opportunities.
One of four seperate locations around the area
Donations are gratefully accepted and tax deductible. An income tax recepit will be issued upon request.
To create a learning place where technology, information and volunteering support personal and community development.

Hours of Operation:

Open 7 Days a Week

9AM-9PM

We Offer:

Very Fast Internet Connection ADSL Speed.
Software for Public Use: Word, Excel, MS Publiser, Access, Photoshop and more
Public Use of scanner, colour printer, CD Writer.
Do it yourself: web page design, pamphlets, business cards, posters, and a lot more.
Many monthly workshops/1:1 Tutoring.
Help always available.
Drop by anytime!

?HOT SPOT? Free Access:

1 Hour Free Drop-In: Tue 5-9 pm and Thurs 9am ?1pm

Drop-In use for Job Search, Resume Writing: Sunday, anytime. One hour.

Drop-In Service for Seniors: Wednesday, all day.

After school: Monday-Friday, 3-6pm. Up to 3 hours for students doing homework.

Homework: Sunday, anytime for students doing homework. One hour.

Family Hour: Sunday, anytime. For parents and children together.

User Fees:

$1 per half hour for Lab Computer Usage.

$2 per half hour for Wireless/Ethernet Access.

$10 value Punch Card for cost of $8.

Printing: $0.25 per page (basic black text).

Photocopies: $0.25 per page.

Faxing: $1 per 5 pages/per phone number.

Floppy Disks/CD's: $1 each.

CD-RW: $2 each.

Location and Contact Information:

Address: 38027 Cleveland Ave. (Downtown Squamish)

Mail: Box 2676, Squamish, BC V0N 3G0
Phone: 604.815.4142
E-mail: board@sea-to-sky.net

Your Gateway to the entire Sea To Sky Corridor

by sunnywong

The corridor cities include:

* Britannia Beach * Squamish * Whistler * Pemberton *

Britannia Beach
Britannia Beach originally came to be because of a mineral discovery by Dr. A. A. Forbes in 1888, which led to the development of a copper mine, followed by a community. The mine, once the largest producer of copper in the British Empire, closed down in 1974, became the BC. Museum of Mining and in 1988 was designated a National Historic Site.

Squamish
Situated in a scenic valley at the tip of Howe Sound, Squamish is ideally located in the heart of Sea to Sky country, approximately half way between the City of Vancouver (60 km south) and the Resort Municipality of Whistler (58 km north).

In the late 1700’s, Captain Vancouver wrote in his diary about sailing into Howe Sound and his first contacts with the local tribe, the Sqohomish. The Indian word “Squamish” means ‘mother of the wind’ or ‘strong wind’.

Squamish is the “Winter Resort Destination” for the Bald Eagle. As many as 3,000 eagles, attracted by seasonal salmon runs, reside here from mid-November to mid-February. The dykes along the Squamish and Mamquam Rivers provide a perfect viewing spot. Squamish is also famous for staging the “World’s Largest Logging Show.” The Squamish Days Logger’s Sport Association is an organization of volunteers committed to providing an exciting and memorable community event. The festival is held every year on the BC Day long weekend thrilling visitors with the world class loggers skills competitions. Also, history buffs enjoy our West Coast Railway Heritage Park and daily summer visits by the Royal Hudson steam train.

Whistler
The best way to describe Whistler in summer is to use a local saying: "You come to Whistler for the skiing and riding, but you stay for the summers." For those passionate about the mountains, this is the place to be for your summer holidays. In Winter, Whistler Blackcomb is the best choice for your winter holiday retreat. With over 7,000 acres of terrain there are places here other mountains can only dream of.

Further Links: