Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Surrey

17530 64th Ave, Surrey, V3S 1Y9, Canada
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Surrey East - Cloverdale
IHG Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Surrey

My Dad and my auntie in the barnMy Dad and my auntie in the barn

Looking for Good, Not Super Expensive Restaurant in Surrey

by rmdw

I'm planning on hosting a pre-Xmas dinner for upwards of 20 friends. For complicated reasons I won't bother you with, it has to be in Surrey. I don't know anything about the restaurants out there!

Might someone be able to recommend one? I was thinking of somewhat "neutral" cuisine like Canadian/American or Greek food - ie. a place that everyone is sure to find something on the menu to suit them.

If it happened to be close to the SkyTrain line, that would be a bonus but is not necessary.

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. Has anyone been here before: http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=1528

by mccalpin

Hi, Robert! What's shaking???

Listen, we have stayed at an old hunting lodge out in Surrey, called The Badger's Rest. While it is a hotel, it has a pub and restaurant on the first floor.

The first time we stayed there, we were flabbergasted by the quality of the food - the previous times we had been to England, Wimpy's (the hamburger chain) seemed to be the English idea of haute cuisine ;-)

I don't remember the menu in detail except I believe it was fairly varied and contained much more than just pub food.

This inn is between Weybridge and Walton-on-Thames (two towns famous for being mentioned in the original War of the Worlds novel) just off the A3050 (locally known as Oatlands Drive). The Inn is on Oatlands Chase, just south of the intersection (well, but some distance, I forget how far) with the A3050.

Although I haven't been to the train station in Walton-on-Thames, on the map, the Inn looks like it's less than a mile away on foot. On Oatlands Chase, at least, it's very easy to walk as it's a quiet suburban type street with good sidewalks (I walked around this neighborhood myself when staying at the Inn...couldn't be safer)

Oh, Robert, look at http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodgedetail.asp?lid=41
I see that the Inn is now The Oatlands Chaser - I hope the restaurant is still as good ;-)

Aha! The Internet is a wonderful thing...here is the menu from the Hotel's actual website - http://www.theoatlandschaser.co.uk/food/

Oh, one other thing...if anyone stays at the Inn, note that it's a old place...and not everything is on the level of a Hilton in downtown London...on the 3rd floor, for example, the water pressure was pretty weak ;-) which was too bad because there was a small hole in my window letting cold air in all night, and I wanted a lot of hot water to warm up ;-)...but it is scenic, in a pretty area, easy to get to and park if you're driving, and not all that far from Runnymede...

Bill

Hi Bill!

I always knew you were knowledgeable but found it incredible that you'd know more about my hometown than me! Then I started reading and realized that you were referring to Surrey in England. The forum I was posting in refers to a suburb of Vancouver, BC!!!

Speaking of which, when are you going to visit this part of North America?

by mccalpin

Robert, my bad! I had no idea that there was a Surrey in BC! Oops.

heheheh, this does happen on a regular basis, doesn't it? When I see a posting for Naples that seems like an odd question, I know to look to see if it is "Naples, Florida" as opposed to "Naples, Italy", but in this case, I had no idea...

I dunno when my next business trip will take me up in your direction, but I'll give you a shout when it happens!

Bill

by rmdw

Bill, strangely enough, if you search for "Surrey" the one in BC doesn't show up though geographically it's a huge place and has over 400,000 residents.

Your posting gave me a smile in any case!!

Robert

by YVRDave

Keg Steakhouse & Bar, The (Guildford) 15146 100th Ave., Surrey, BC

by aqazi

That was too funny (especially the reference to Wimpy), didn't know the new skytrain extention stretched that far. There's a non offensive restaurant at the Sheraton in Guildford that should be able to cater for a large group. Other than that there's the usual Keg, Whitespot etc I suppose.

by YVRDave

When is this event happening again? My memory is waning

by rmdw

December 5th. It got canceled for reasons I'll explain to you privately when we next chat.

Comments