Tofino Hotels

• Carmanah profile photo Carmanah
  • Reviews: 937

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ocean Village Resort: Fond memories on Mackenzie Beach

In August of 1994, my family decided to vacation in Tofino for several days. We had never been to Tofino before. Considering we called last minute, we lucked out at reserving one of the cedar cabins at the Ocean Village Resort. This was truly a west coast Vancouver Island experience for us - slightly rustic, cedar wood interior, and overcast skies over the crashing waves of the Pacific on Mackenzie Beach.

Mackenzie Beach is beautiful - one of the many sandy coved beaches around the Tofino region. Little did we know that there would be a secret temperate rainforest island on Mackenzie Beach, where at low tide you could walk right onto the island and explore its forested trails. My sister and I were 11 and 14 at the time and loved having the beach right there. We were old enough to explore the beach without our parents always being there. Most of the time is was magical... with the mist rolling in. When the sun came out, it was pure heaven. The Pacific Rim campgrounds were right next door, so you could often smell the campfires in the air, which I love. It just added to the atmosphere of the area.

I also get nostalgic when I remember staying at the Ocean Beach Resort with my family. During our vacation I would listen to my U2 "The Unforgettable Fire EP" on my yellow Sony walkman while I painted the seascapes and wrote in my journal. Everytime I hear this U2 album, I always think of the smell of the beach and evenings at the cabin.

If you're looking for comfort, a rustic atmosphere, and a cozy environment, I would definitely recommend the Ocean Village Resort. If you're looking for a high end resort, fancy restaurants, a hotel atmosphere, or accommodation with TV's, phones and radios, this is not the place. But it is definitely a comforting environment for those who want to base their vacations out of Tofino, who want to relax and get away from it all! I'd highly recommend it for families.

Some cabins are single stories with 1 or 2 bedrooms. We managed to stay in a duplex cabin on the bottom floor. This was perfect, because we had a sliding glass door that opened onto a back patio where we could wander across to the beach. I believe the upstairs suite of the duplex had a balcony.

Our cabin had one master bedroom, one bathroom, a full kitchen (stocked with utensils, dishes, and linen), a living room (no TV, radio, or phones) with a hide-a-bed couch. My parents had the master bedroom, and my sister and I shared the hide-a-bed. We loved it!

The Ocean Village Resort also has a gift shop, laundry facilities, BBQ's, a hot tub and a full-sized indoor swimming pool. Because the Pacific is too cold to swim in, the swimming pool was perfect for our family, who consider swimming pools luxuries!

• Opinion of Price: about average