Tofino Hotels

Our Members Say

• zrim profile photo zrim
  • Reviews: 1665

Clayoquat Wilderness Resort: Floating Lodge

Hands down the nicest place with the best scenery and best food. But is it ever costly. If you plan on staying here for a few nights, you might want to see about taking out a second mortgage on the house to fund it.

But, to me, it was worth the price. The scenery was second to none--see the picture from our balcony. The five star restaurant was just footsteps from our room. And the staff makes a special effort to make all guests feel at home and to meet whatever needs they might have.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Kayaking, Hiking and Walking, Beaches
  • Written March 13, 2003

beautiful bay

• skywalkerbeth profile photo skywalkerbeth
  • Reviews: 179

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Crab dock Guest House: Love the hot tub!

I stayed here for two night this past July. Very comfortable, en suite room. The hosts were very thoughtful and helpful - I decided not to rent a car (240 bucks for two days!!) so he picked me up at the airport and took me back too - he lent me a backpack for my day at the Hot Springs and in general they just took good care of me. I loved the hot tub and spent a lot of time in it!

• Written January 9, 2006

• lazyman_1 profile photo lazyman_1
  • Reviews: 324

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hostel: Whalers point guesthouse

The hostel itself was very nice. Large kitchen with an eating area that overlooked the water. The rooms were very spacious although the staff, in my opinion, left something to be desired. Not a big deal, i just didn't find the staff to be very friendly, helpful or welcoming. Also the hostel was very loud depending on your room. People had a tendancy to stay up late drinking.

• Written April 1, 2006

• Rickman77 profile photo Rickman77
  • Reviews: 56

Whales on the Point Guesthouse: British Columbia's Best Hostel

Whales on the Point Guesthouse, or the Tofino Hostel is by far the nicest hostel that I have ever stayed in. It serves as a hostel and a guesthouse depending on your price range and comfort level.

Rates:

(per room) $80 - $95
Private with two piece bathroom... toilet & sink (5 person) $90 - $100
(per room) $95 - $105
(per room)

If you are visiting in the off season they usually spread you out so that every room isn't full. Often you can get a dorm for 6 with only 2 or 3 people total bunking in the room.

The hostel is only a few years old and is in great condition.
It is constructed with lots of northwest wood and is beautifully decorated.
The bathrooms are plush!
The rooms are nice.
The kitchen is nice and roomie.
The sitting room and dining room have a fireplace and overlook the water with a great view.
There is a game room with a stero system and a pool table which is free to use.
There is a TV room which can be used to watch TV or movies. The hostel has a large variety of movies which can be watched for free as well.

• Related to: Backpacking, Surfing, Budget Travel
  • Written February 9, 2005

The Hostel/Guesthouse

• nebulaflash profile photo nebulaflash
  • Reviews: 34

Gold Coast Retreat: good value for money

Among trees, close to the beach, this was a peaceful retreat

There are two cabins here that are quite private. One will house about six people and the other is ideal for two people. Kitchen is well equipped and Sulo the host is very helpful.

• Related to: Beaches
  • Written August 9, 2004

Haidaway Cabin

• toontown profile photo toontown
  • Reviews: 150

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Long Beach Golf Course Campground: Wilderness camping near long beach

Our trip to the Tofino area was fairly impulsive and we didn't think we needed to book a camping spot in advance. We were wrong about that and found that all the campgrounds near the beach were completely full. But we finally found a spot a mile or two back from the beach adjacent to a golf course. Getting to the beach was no problem since we had the Jetta.

The campsite was what you would call "wilderness camping," which meant there was no running hot water and you had to drive to the common bathrooms for a toilet. There was, however, a fire pit, a picnic table, and a cold water tap a few yards down the trail from our spot. It still didn't rate as true wilderness camping I remembered from my childhood in Europe, so I didn't feel too hard done by.

The site itself was quite beautiful and secluded, surrounded by ancient rainforest. We had a great time cooking up local seafood on skewers over the campfire and little habachi we brought along.

• Related to: Beaches, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written January 6, 2004

"Roughing it" near Long Beach

• toontown profile photo toontown
  • Reviews: 150

A Snug Harbour Inn: Honeymoon hideaway

The Snug Harbour Inn is not actually in Tofino but in Ucluelet (pronounced you-CLUE-let), the neighbouring village. But we stayed there for a couple of days as part of our Tofino trip. After roughing it with a few days of "wilderness" camping, we went the complete opposite and spoiled ourselves at this luxurious B&B set high on a scenic cliff by the ocean. Like its URL says, it has an awesome view.

Where do I start? The ocean-side of the house had a cedar deck complete with large hot tub for guests to stretch out in and enjoy the view. You could also clamber down a steep staircase to the rocks below to look at tidal pools. We had one of the 6 incredible rooms. Ours was called the Atlantis. It featured a beautiful bathroom with spa products and a huge jacuzzi tub complete with cascading waterfall. Heaven! There was also a king-size canopied bed, a wood-burning fireplace, and limited edition local native art. The breakfasts were great and the hosts gracious.

We weren't on honeymoon but we felt like it and it would be the perfect place for a honeymoon. In fact, as fate and a small world would have it, on the last day I bumped into a colleague from work who, unbenownst to me was having her honeymoon at a Snug Harbour Inn!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 6, 2004

awesome view at Snug Harbour Inn

• mht_in_la profile photo mht_in_la
  • Reviews: 881

HI-Tofino (Whalers on the Point Guesthouse): One of the best in Tofino

Tofino is at the northern tip of the Peninsula. The hostel is at the northern tip of Tofino. It was recently completed in 1999 so everything is clean and new. Inside they have a pool table, kitchen, living room, dining room with fireplace, internet, and a patio for group meetings. It's right by Tofino Harbor so the view is incredible. This is one of the best hostels I've stayed in Canada, but also on the expensive side by HI standard. With my HI card, I paid $25.3 (Canadian dollar, after tax) for a Sunday night dorm. By the way, I noticed they recently removed their stuff from the official HI website, so you have to visit their own website (see below) to get more info and photos.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 23, 2003

View from HI-Tofino Living Room

• Carmanah profile photo Carmanah
  • Reviews: 937

Ocean Village Resort: Fond memories on Mackenzie Beach

In August of 1994, my family decided to vacation in Tofino for several days. We had never been to Tofino before. Considering we called last minute, we lucked out at reserving one of the cedar cabins at the Ocean Village Resort. This was truly a west coast Vancouver Island experience for us - slightly rustic, cedar wood interior, and overcast skies over the crashing waves of the Pacific on Mackenzie Beach.

Mackenzie Beach is beautiful - one of the many sandy coved beaches around the Tofino region. Little did we know that there would be a secret temperate rainforest island on Mackenzie Beach, where at low tide you could walk right onto the island and explore its forested trails. My sister and I were 11 and 14 at the time and loved having the beach right there. We were old enough to explore the beach without our parents always being there. Most of the time is was magical... with the mist rolling in. When the sun came out, it was pure heaven. The Pacific Rim campgrounds were right next door, so you could often smell the campfires in the air, which I love. It just added to the atmosphere of the area.

I also get nostalgic when I remember staying at the Ocean Beach Resort with my family. During our vacation I would listen to my U2 "The Unforgettable Fire EP" on my yellow Sony walkman while I painted the seascapes and wrote in my journal. Everytime I hear this U2 album, I always think of the smell of the beach and evenings at the cabin.

If you're looking for comfort, a rustic atmosphere, and a cozy environment, I would definitely recommend the Ocean Village Resort. If you're looking for a high end resort, fancy restaurants, a hotel atmosphere, or accommodation with TV's, phones and radios, this is not the place. But it is definitely a comforting environment for those who want to base their vacations out of Tofino, who want to relax and get away from it all! I'd highly recommend it for families.

Some cabins are single stories with 1 or 2 bedrooms. We managed to stay in a duplex cabin on the bottom floor. This was perfect, because we had a sliding glass door that opened onto a back patio where we could wander across to the beach. I believe the upstairs suite of the duplex had a balcony.

Our cabin had one master bedroom, one bathroom, a full kitchen (stocked with utensils, dishes, and linen), a living room (no TV, radio, or phones) with a hide-a-bed couch. My parents had the master bedroom, and my sister and I shared the hide-a-bed. We loved it!

The Ocean Village Resort also has a gift shop, laundry facilities, BBQ's, a hot tub and a full-sized indoor swimming pool. Because the Pacific is too cold to swim in, the swimming pool was perfect for our family, who consider swimming pools luxuries!

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written August 24, 2002

The view from our cabin at Ocean Village

• Albernfrau profile photo Albernfrau
  • Reviews: 429

Anchor's Inn (Ucluelet): Hidden Oasis

This quaint cabin is located in Ucluelet (only 15-20 mins. from Tofino). It is perfect for a couple as there is just one queen bed. Pets are permitted for a $20 donation to the SPCA. This cabin is amazing. It is overlooking the ocean and is only a 30 sec. walk to a small beach. Resident river otters live on the dock nearby and a 2 min. walk away sea lions call another dock home. There is a 2 person jacuzzi tub on the sundeck so you can watch all of the wildlife as you bathe. You can also enjoy a bbq on the deck or cook inside and use the breakfast ingredients already stocked in the refridgerator. Fresh flowers hang in a vase on the wall and the electric fireplace makes the cute cabin even cosier. This place is a gem!

• Written November 12, 2007

• shortstuff_ah profile photo shortstuff_ah
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pacific Breeze Fishermans Net: Tofino's Worst Motel

We decided to stay here because it was the cheapest but I would definately pay the extra money next time. The room was so disgustingly dirty, I was afraid to even sit on the bed. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in about a month (there was urine and feces on it that I had to clean off) and I'm not sure if the floor had ever been vacuumed. I had my 2 year old and 8 month old with me and I couldn't even let them down on the floor because I didn't know what they would put in their mouths. Don't ever, ever, ever stay here. This motel shouldn't even be allowed to be in business.

• Written July 6, 2006

• wwoofer_dave profile photo wwoofer_dave
  • Reviews: 2

Whalers on the Point Guesthouse (HI - Tofino): #1 hostel choice in Tofino

Best hostel I've stayed at in Tofino. Reservations highly recommended from June to end of September.

Great view of the harbor from the living and dining room. Good size kitchen. An outdoor patio area with barbeque. A games room with pool table and foosball. Also a small tv room. Storage for surfboards, etc.

Less than 2 block from center of Tofino.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written August 2, 2007
Tip Photo

view from the living/dining room

• wwoofer_dave profile photo wwoofer_dave
  • Reviews: 2

Clayoquot Field Station at Tofino Botanical Garden: Quieter hostel in Tofino

Nice hostel located (3 km) outside of town. Close to MacKenzie Beach (1 km).

Located within the Tofino Botanical Garden (a 12 acre site). Fire pit. Wi-Fi internet access.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Study Abroad, Budget Travel
  • Written August 2, 2007

• CatherineReichardt profile photo CatherineReichardt
  • Reviews: 2527

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Adventure B&B: Feast your eyes on this view over breakfast!

(work in progress)
A quick trawl through any of the accommodation websites suggests that there's quite a lot of accommodation in Tofino, but much of it - especially in town - tends to be of the bed and breakfast (B&B) variety, and can book up quickly in season.

We stayed at the Adventure B&B, which is fairly centrally located, one street back from the main road and close to a surf school and the quay from which Jamie's Whaling operates. It is owned by Jens, a keen surfer, and offers three double rooms.

The accommodation is clean, pleasant and well equipped with an extremely laid back atmosphere. Just be aware that although two of the rooms are en suite, the third (which we were allocated) has its own bathroom, which is located down the passage.

The best thing about the B&B is the stunning view from the balcony which leads off the upstairs room where breakfast is served. It is utterly breathtaking - so long as the weather is clear enough to allow you to see it!

Breakfast is also excellent - a delicious mixture of fruit and yoghurt to start with, followed by tasty omelettes and toast and washed down with fruit juice and tea or coffee.

The owner and staff are friendly and very helpful - for instance, without their recommendation, we wouldn't have found out about the Thornton Creek Hatchery, where we had an amazing close encounter with a bear, and probably wouldn't have hiked the Lighthouse Loop of the Wild Pacific trail. It's worth bearing in mind that they can secure discounts on tours with some operators (we would have qualified for a 10% discount on a boat trip to Hot Springs Cove, had it not been cancelled due to bad weather), so perhaps enquire about this on your arrival.

Highly recommended.

• Written November 8, 2012
Tip Photo

• kben profile photo kben
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Whalers on the point hostel/guesthouse in Tofino: Most unfriendly hostel

(+) Nice views (but most places in town have nice views)
(+) own kitchen
(+) parking available (yet always crowded)- my car was stuck behind 3 other cars

(-) Worst customer service I ever experienced; if you have any problem that will require a change (and I am not talking about a cancellation but a change of dates) in your reservation, there will be no-one you can talk to and you will be charged no matter what- this is a backpacker mill, quantity matters over quality.
(-) cleanliness is to be desired, our bed has sand in it.
(-) Very loud- a bit like a frathouse
(-) Staff professionalism is also low. The staff was non-knowledgeable, exhausted and not able to respond- it gave us contradictory answers regarding what we needed to do and even yelled at us. We had to email and wait for 4 days to get a response from the manager!

Conclusion: if you have a problem this hostel will not care. There are other hostels, hotels, guesthouses in town with similar prices, you can certainly do better and be treated right

Great views
Common kitchen
Some parking available
Shared dorms and private rooms

• Written October 20, 2011