500 Osprey Lane at Chesterman Beach, Tofino, British Columbia, V0R 2Z0, Canada

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Jttops's Profile Photo

Storm Central

The coastline along the west side of Vancouver Island is a powerful sight. The Inn seems to taut the ocean into smashing it to bits along the rocks and washed up timber. Our room had a great view down the north coastline that you didn't even have to pick your head up off the pillow of the bed to enjoy out of the sliding glass door. I think every room here must have some sort of great view. Nicely appointed room done in light colors. Fireplace was a nice touch in September when it was getting a little chilly. Cozy bed. Very nice place, but not easy to get to.

Unique Quality: The spa facilities are excellent. This was one of the few times I have taken advantage of a spa on our trips - and I may be hooked. The hot stone massage was pretty impressive. The restaurant was a great experience. If you are in the area and don't see paying the fare to stay at this place - eat at the restaurant at least. I don't think you will be dissappointed.

More about The Wickaninnish Inn

We love the Wickaninnish Inn!

by TripAdvisor Member marla

What a treat to stay at such a wonderful place in such a wonderful little coastal town. The staff was nothing short of delightful. The room was one of the nicest I have stayed in. The view from the least expensive room on the property was ideal. It was beyond my expectation. We had just come from the Four Seasons in Whistler, so I really didn't expect the room to compare. I was so mistaken. I hated to leave the room each morning and wanted to spend hours just sitting by the fireplace and looking out the window or sitting on the patio watching it rain. Even the rain was delightful to watch from the patio. I can't say enough about how wonderful our trip to Tofino and this hotel turned out. We were there 3 days and 4 nights.... could have easily stayed a week or longer. Tofino is a fantastic vacation destination. Though the drive to Tofino from Nanaimo is long, it is gorgeous. Don't even think about staying anywhere else in Tofino. The Wickaninnish Inn can't be beat!

Relaxation At It's Finest

The Wickaninnish Inn located outside picturesque Tofino, British Columbia, exudes a casual comfort and relaxation in its superior service Inn. Located at the point of a breathtaking beach and rocky point, the Inn’s rooms all have an ocean view that you could sit in front of for hours. The resort has though of everything you could need or want, then goes beyond to provide you with the special touches, such as a library, computer, a coffee area beach level. The rooms have private balconies, fireplaces, huge windows, down duvets, a casual elegance that makes each guest feel special. The rooms could only be described as beautiful. The staff at the Inn is casual, yet professional. They cater to the guest who would like to be pampered, and also to those looking for a quiet retreat. The spa at the Inn is also a treat that must be experienced. Again, the staff at the spa promotes the feeling of the Inn. They are extremely attentive and ensure that their guests leave refreshed and relaxed. Although we did not dine in the Inn’s restaurant, we did order room service and found our meal hot, fresh and as perfect as if we had it in the dining room. December in Tofino is known for its ocean storms. We were fortunate enough to have beautiful, sunny weather for our visit – perfect for long walks on the beach and the entertainment of the surfers. But even if the weather had been stormy I am confident to say that our stay would have been just as enjoyable and relaxing. I would recommend the Wickaninnish Inn to anyone looking for a relaxing and refreshing time, who at the same time wants to be pampered and indulged.

Pacific Rim National Park Reserve: Long Beach Unit

by toonsarah

Tofino is a great base for visits to this national park, which lies along part of the west coast of Vancouver Island. It consists of three distinct parts. The Long Beach Unit is easily the most accessible and the only one we visited. It lies between Tofino and Ucluelet, and is named after the 16 km sandy beach of Wickaninnish Bay. The other units are the Broken Group Islands Unit (an archipelago of more than one hundred islands and rocks scattered throughout Barkley Sound and accessible only by boat) and the West Coast Trail Unit (a 75 km backpacking route).

Within the Long Beach Unit are a number of trails of different lengths. We did one of the shorter ones, the Spruce Fringe Trail. This led us through the Sitka spruce forest to Wickaninnish Bay, where we enjoyed the many great photo opportunities and peering into the tidepools.

Other trails include:

~ Halfmoon Bay Trail, which is 1.7 km in length and winds through an old growth cedar-hemlock forest where fallen trees serve as nurseries for seedlings, and ends with a steep climb down to the sands of Halfmoon Bay

~ Shorepine Bog Trail, a 800 m loop boardwalk through coastal temperate rainforest which is wheelchair accessible

~ Schooner Cove Trail, 1 km each way, which leads to the beach through a forested area, crossing a small stream on the way and passing the Tla-o-qui-aht village of Esowista

Daily entry to the park is $6.90 (Canadian) for adults, $3.95 for children. The ticket we purchased allowed us 24 hours in the park so after visiting one afternoon we returned the next morning to get our money’s worth!

To get here, head south from Tofino on Highway 4.

Pacific Rim National Park

by madamx

This is a 50,000 hectare park that encompasses the Pacific Ocean shoreline and huuuuge cedars is made of three areas: Long Beach, the Broken Group Islands and Barkley Sound, and the West Coast Trail.

We visited the Long Beach area, and first stopped off at the Wickaninnish Centre after paying our park fee. The centre has good displays and short films about the natrual history of the area, plus many native Indian artifacts. There are many trails in the area, and a one-day visit should be sufficient to get a good sense of the park.

We walked for approximately 2 hours along Long Beach, taking in the rock formations and watching the huge crashing waves. We also witnessed a strange phenomena where the sun was shining, but a mist was coming off of the beach like a fog. Gorgeous.

Over priced and under value!

by TripAdvisor Member Hambagahle

The Wickanninish Inn at the Point in Tofino is a lovely building in a terrific location, right on the rocks of the beach. Their front desk staff are very nice. All compliments stop there!
We booked the most expensive room in the house, with a breataking view over the beach. It was June and the temperature outside was around 75F. Our room was baking hot. We were provided with a fan, but the gas fire, which should have been turned off, refused to go off all the way, generating heat all night.
We booked in the Pointe Restaurant for dinner some 3 months before arriving. We requested a window table. When we arrived we were shown to a centre table. We told the hostess we had requested a window and she shrugged. However a few moments after we sat down a window table became free and my husband asked to be moved, which, after 15 minutes, we were. The menu is quite restricted - I ordered their salmon medley which was very dry and not at all tasty. I also ordered rack of lamb and took some trouble to explain to the waiter I wanted it very pink. It came grey. When I protested he told me it was his fault because he didn't believe anyone could eat lamb pink!! I told him his job was to take my order and not to second-guess me. The wine list is outrageously expensive. For a very ordinary Côtes du Rhône they asked $150 Canadian!! We live in Switzerland which is supposed to be expensive. The Wickaninnish Inn beats Switzerland hands down! We solved the dining room problem by ordering a salad from room service the next night. Salad for two, a bottle of BC wine (their cheapest at Canadian$45!) and a crème brûlée for my husband cost us nearly $150!!
The maid who did our room moved all my things in the bathroom. I asked her please to leave them where they were the next day. She replied that her supervisor would be upset if she didn't move them - to which I replied that I was the client and I would be even more upset if she did!
For $600 Canadian a night they should do better. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Lovely view

by TripAdvisor Member peteandsue.turner

but the praise stops there. The Restaurant food was of a good standard and efficiently served but it annoys me when I see the cost of breakfast coffee
and juice not included in the overall cost and not even priced on the menu. The lunch menu displayed at the restaurant entrance also not priced.
When enquired at reception the reason was not known. What are they trying to hide?

The bedroom had a wonderful view but lacked any WOW factor. The bed linen not ironed properly although I can understand the lack of starch. The turn down service in the evening was poor. The bathroom was spacious and was the best part of the area.
Shame really because this could be a wonderful hotel.

I can't wait to return to The Wick

As soon as I arrived at The Wick I new I was going to love it and I wasn't disappointed. The staff were VERY friendly and really put themselves out. My room was WOW with a view to die for - even in the tub!
OK it is expensive but I knew that before I arrived. In the restaurant it wasn't always possible to get the table we wanted but the staff tried to accomodate us and usually succeeded. The crab bake was a bit disappointing as it lacked atmosphere but the food was good.
I was there with friends but next time I will make sure my husband is with me as this is a really romantic location ... need I say more?

Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Lishy

My husband and I have been to the Wick twice now and have been blown away both times, every single day. The staff there, from the desk to the restaurant and the people out front were amazing! Their attitudes were nothing but warm, welcoming and inviting. The surroundings and the hotel itself were so peaceful, natural and comfortable.

We are both surfers, and felt completely welcomed (some hotels can be quite snobby about that). As well as the hotel, we utilized the restaurant (Michael, a server there was the best server we've had hands-down anywhere), the Ancient Cedars Spa (melt!). From top to bottom, the hotel was magnificent!

Being an avid traveller (aside from our home) the Wick is my "happy-place" in the world!

Spoiled by Muzak

This place could be a haven of peace and tranquility, but it's spoiled by the muzak piped throughout the public areas (even the corridors). The reception area has big sofas and an open fire, with huge windows affording a great view of the ocean...but it's not calm because of the muzak (the New Age stuff is only slightly less irritating than the jazz). What's wrong with silence...or the sounds of the ocean? We checked out the steam room in the spa, but didn't use it because of the extra charge (why not complimentary for guests?). Anyway, we weren't that impressed. The rooms are lovely (as expected for a hotel of this rating). Nice bathroom: separate WC and shower, and the bath is alongside a big window that looks out onto the ocean. Wet-weather gear (jacket and trousers) and binoculars are provided. There's a CD player (with a few CDs) and a DVD player (you can rent from local stores a short drive away). There's even a microwave (if you can't face the muzak in the restaurant). High-speed internet access in the room (free). There's also a PC with internet access in the library. Direct access to the beach...lovely for an early morning stroll or to watch the sunset. Many of the rooms are in a newer building (as ours was) - you have to walk across the carpark to get to the restaurant or spa in the older building. Not much fun if it's raining (although umbrellas are provided) but what if it's storm time?! Take away the muzak and I'd upgrade this rating to Excellent. (Review based on two nights in a beach-level king room in October 2004.)

Comments