3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

beautiful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sharlash

We just came back from the Black Rock Resort. The Hotel is amazing, brand new, modern, huge bathroom, & views to die for. They are still working things out, it's been opened for a few months, but you won't go wrong if you stay there. We booked a 'forrest view' room, but I could see the ocean & the forrest from my bed. Fireplaces & patios in every room. The front desk said we had the best non ocean view room # 321. You can't beat the price & quality & beauty of the area.
We had a wonderful lunch in the hotel & Again an amazing view from the dining room & lounge.
We had breakfast (all rooms have micro, frig., coffee makers, etc.) on our patio & watched an eagle go back & forth from a nest right in front of our room. Also saw bears !!

Beautiful Resort for 50th Anniversary

by TripAdvisor Member DWBVancouver

- We had a small family gathering at Black Rock June12-14 for my parent's 50th. 4 of us stayed in a Premium 2-bedroom suite (with our dog) at Black Rock and 2 others joined us for dinner on Saturday.
- The suite was really lovely--soothing green/gray natural decor--with incredible views from the living room & bedrooms. Each bedroom had it's own bath--featuring a soaker tub with sliding panels so you can enjoy the view plus a large slate shower with rainhead. Suites are beautifully equipped with large flat screen TVs in Living & bedrooms, compact kitchens with contemporary cabinets and miele appliances. The Milano coffee provided is quite good--and you can make it in either the drip or french press.
- I won't detail them here.. but to say the resort & kitchen were wonderful with many special arrangements for the 50th. Every request was delivered.
- The highlight was dinner in Fetch--a memorable meal in beautiful setting. The restaurant features floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides so feels surrounded by the water views. We had preselected our menu--and the dishes were delicious and unique. 4 of us had the starter of Dungeness Crab & Avocado salad--very nice. For mains 3 of us had Pacific Halibut and a chorizo citrus creme fraiche--also lovely. Others had the Roasted Lamb sirloin with Confit shoulder croquette (completely unexpected presentation) or the Duck Breast with Blackberry brown butter Sauce.
- Because of the occasion we requested a cake for dessert. The presentation was amazing... an elegant, round, contemporary cake presented on a slab of slate with a single rose arranged petal by petal on the top. But then the cake.. wow. 4 rich, dense, dark chocolate layers with a white chocolate butter-cream.
- Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice as well--and I was surprised by the prices--not at all like the typically over-priced hotel menu.
- The suite we had (311) was above the unfinished pool and hot tubs. But with the view so stunning, it wasn't that distracting. And presumably soon they will be finished. The Living room also had some built in shelving--all empty. Some books or other objects would be a welcome addition to the decor.
- Location: It's a long trip for a weekend from Vancouver 2hrs by ferry plus 3 hr drive--but the setting is stunning --with the views and the Pacific Trail right out the door. The enjoyment of even of a cup of coffee in the morning on the deck and the ability to walk out the hotel onto the trail is worth the trip.

Beware of mosquitos!!

by TripAdvisor Member Paaltjes

This is a new hotel in a beautiful location. The building is contemporary and eco friendly and has some amazing features. The rooms are very well appointed and the bathrooms are very large and comfortable, with a spacious separate shower. There is one big problem with the bathroom. Between the bedroom and bathroom is a frosted window which can be opened. The idea is that from the bath or the shower one can have an uninterrupted view of the ocean. This is a nice idea in itself. The designer did not put enough thought into this idea, because also the toilet is placed in this room. The window it not sound or smell proof, so I do not think this needs further explanation! Also when a guest goes to the toilet at night, the bedroom is flooded with light. The toilet area should have been totally separate. I think it is a major design mistake.
As an eco hotel there is no air conditioning in the rooms. I have no problems with this at all. The hotel is located right at the ocean and the rooms have large windows and/or doors which can be fully opened. Unfortunately nobody thought about the mosquitoes! When we were there in June the weather was unseasonal hot, but at dusk we were forced to close all the windows because we were being eaten alive. There are no mosquito screens on the windows! We killed a dozen mosquitoes in the room and were still bitten at night. Because of the high temperature in the room we had 2 uncomfortable nights. The hotel is not cheap and I think this is unacceptable. On checking out the only reply was that almost all guest had complained about this and that the complaint would be passed on. WE had dinner in the (air conditioned) restaurant 1 night and it must be said that the food was excellent. The restaurant was closed for breakfast, which was a letdown. You could order a bagel for Can$ 10 to be delivered to your room.
Unless these problems are sorted I will not return to this otherwise beautiful hotel.

Lovely Resort but too pricey for no privacy!!!

by TripAdvisor Member susieq666

My husband and I realy enjoyed the Resort. We had a lovely ocean veiw room,and the scenery was lovely. We were disapointed because their brochure states that the balconys are private and that is false advertising!! We shared a balcony with our neighbors and it was uncomfortable at times. We will not be going back as we do like our privacy. We also told the front desk this and they had no comment! Also no air conditioning, which wouldnt be such a bother if there was screens on the balconys to keep out the mosquitoes! My husband and I got eaten alive!! I think next time we will look for another place to stay when visiting Long Beach!!

best place to stay in Ucluelet/Tofino

by TripAdvisor Member LJ30

We spent three nights mid-week in two second-floor studio suites in the east beach cottage. We were impressed with the eco-friendly, modern and well-appointed rooms (with kitchenette including small stovetop and dishwasher). The large bathtubs and showers were definitely a step above. The beds and linens were comfortable. Most importantly, the ocean views were unobstructed and outstanding! We enjoyed the well-kept trails and "big beach" next to the resort. We enjoyed all meals (food and views): dinner and breakfast at "Fetch" and a tapas-style dinner in the lounge. We appreciated the complimentary wireless in rooms and two desktop computers provided. All-in-all, Black Rock is a great place to stay. Also, in the town of Ucluelet we had a delicious meal at Norwoods.

West Coast Wonder!

by TripAdvisor Member West_Coast_Girl_14

With stunning views of the rugged west coast shoreline and a hotel design that fits within the natural landscape, this is a must for us when we come back to the area! We stayed 6 nights at the Black Rock in mid June 2009. From the reviews online to the friendly service received upon booking, we are impressed with this hotel. We did stay prior to the summer increase in pricing in a studio suite. We loved every minute of our stay! The location, the staff, the food, the room and the whole experience - a west coast wonder!

The stunning architecture of the building, allowing unobstructed views of the forest and shoreline, is just impressive. The choice of interior finishes (black slate, wooden logs, green paint, contemporary furniture) and layout of the hotel is equally impressive and very comfortable. The doors to the rooms are all recessed from the hallway and all rooms face outside with a patio. We never heard a thing - very quiet place! The platform king bed was so comfortable to sleep on as you never felt the other person move beside you. The choice of flatscreen TV, fireplace and gorgeous bathroom give you that pampered feel yet still eco-friendly. You truly feel the whole west coast vibe when you stay at this resort.

The food in Fetch (the onsite restaurant) is incredible. Lunch is very reasonable for eating and people come from all over the area and rave about the hamburger! It is one of the best we've had. The views from the restaurant are magnificent!

Yes, there were no screens on the one big window and a few mosquitoes came in. Yes, there isn't air conditioning and the rooms can get a tad warm (but just left fan on in the bathroom and all was fine) - but goodness it was a spectacular place to stay just in and of itself. The pros of this place are high in number!

Be sure to walk the Wild Pacific Trail which starts right outside the hotel (from the 5 km to the 8 km mark) - scenery that will take your breath away! Also take in the Ucluelet Aquarium (a true gem for 5$ fee) and a boat trip with Al and Toddy on their private yacht through the Broken Islands (Achipelago Whale Tours out of downtown Ucluelet).

Tries hard but lacks soul

by TripAdvisor Member Snowgirl065

I wanted to like the Black Rock, I really did, but in the end it left me cold.

Lets start with the positives. The rooms have been decked out well, the staff are good, the flatscreen TVs are huge, bathrooms beautiful and the food at Fetch is great, if expensive.

Now the negatives. When you drive in you are greeted with the huge cavernous architecture of the building which wraps round the car park and unlike some of the other places along the coast, the Black Rock always seems deserted of guests and staff. In to the vast concrete foyer and the first thing you see is the trunk of a tree, not bright modern furniture.

None of the negatives on their own seem to be bad, but there is something about the Black Rock that lacks soul. Any atmosphere and warmth from the bar is gobbled up by the vast foyer and the interior designer seemed to have been obsessed with making everything black, so the restaurant and bar are very dark... all the time. Rightly or wrongly, we also felt as though we were one of the few guests under the age of 35.

I love modern architecture, but one of the first things I said to my husband that it felt like a bus terminal. No surprise then to discover that it was built by architects who normally design them.

I'm sorry Black Rock, you tried hard, but you need to inject some life into the place. Dump the dead tree and get some welcoming modern furniture. Up the wattage on the lights and get out the white paint.

Wonderful Location

by TripAdvisor Member MissBinks

The view is everything at Black Rock and well worth a stay in its own right. The whole place has been designed (and very beautifully so) to maximise the view from every space so the restaurant (very good menu and good service) lounge, mezzanine area and of course the rooms themselves look out onto the rocks and the sea below.
The resort is newly opened and there are still signs of construction about e.g. the hot-pools on the rock ledge are still works in progress and some piles of work materials and tools are still in evidence but not troublingly so. When all the shrubs and so forth have grown in the place will look even more spectacular.
The bathroom was he best I have ever found in a hotel and I have been lucky enough to stay in some pretty good hotels. Loads of slate and glass and the chance to watch TV in the tub if you feel like it. You could also pull back sand blasted glass panels to see the rea view whilst relaxing in the bath. Perfect.
The staff was welcoming an helpful throughout our stay. Housekeeping was a little lack-lustre but this turned out to be helpful as I lost an earring but managed to find it when we returned to our newly serviced room as vacuuming had not been too detailed!
I would recommend the day sea-kayak tour to the Broken Islands with Majestic Kayaking. A really fabulous day out and a chance to really see the amazing area with expert and lovely guides.
All in all definitely worth the money and a rather special stay to remember.

disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member ftes

We were happy to join that brand new hotel. unfortunately, it was not at the level of expectations. Very high rate, room not available before 4p.m., impossible to have dinner, bedlights not working, fireplace neither and amenities missing. Staff relax but not classy and not so efficient. no luggage help even around 400$ a night

Certainly overrated hotel, too trendy in decoration and prices as well not adapted for the resort area. More activities and be more service oriented would be appreciated or be in another rank of prices.

The Most Amazing View!

by TripAdvisor Member huneym00ners

My wife and I recently visited this resort on our honeymoon. We had an amazing time. We had a one bedroom boutique suite (215) for four nights. It was a bit pricey but worth it in our eyes. The first thing I saw when I arrived were humpback whales about 200 yards off our balcony. Those sightings didn't stop for three straight days. Dinner at Fetch was great and reasonably priced. Our meal took a bit long but they gave us a complimentary dessert for our long wait. In our eyes, all was forgiven. We also had appetizers at the lounge which were good but not great. However, the Flo Mojito is a must. The bathroom was amazing. Rainfall shower head, soaker tub for two, heated slate floors, and great toiletries. The room was very spacious and the big lcd tv was awesome. Actually, the suite was bigger then our apartment we returned home to.

There were a few downfalls that caused me to give four stars instead of five. The windows need screens or they need air conditioning. We had about 5-6 mosquito bites a piece. Mostly from when we were sleeping. We each got one on our face which was annoying. Also, there is no divider between the balconies which is definitely a privacy issue. Also, the pool was not opened yet. In the resort's defense, they said they are in the process of contracting for screens and putting up dividers. I don't think we were the first guests that suggested it.

All in all, it was one of the best places we ever stayed at. The view is just indescribable and the food was out of this world. The Halibut, Scallops, and Salmon was superb. Go and make sure you get an ocean view suite. It's worth the price!

Comments