Barclay House In The West

Barclay House Bed and Breakfast
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Barclay House In The West

Helped me out

I booked to stay at the Barclay House for two nights in Sept. Prior to leaving the UK I e-mailed to check all was OK with the booking, it wasn't, something had gone wrong with the internet booking service and they were now fully booked. I called Barclay House and got through to Patrik Burr, Innkeeper. He was incredibly helpful and got me and my Mum booked into other accommodation at a reduced rate with a free breakfast thrown in. I never saw Barclay House, however it came highly recommended by family and if the way they deal with a problem is anything to go by then Barclay House is top class. I understand that they have improved the internet booking service too!

Very Pleasant Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member RonSonomaCounty

We stayed at West End for three nights and we were quite pleased with our stay.
the breakfasts were great. The staff was friendly and provided advice on places to visit in the city.

A Gem of a B&B

by TripAdvisor Member shandy40

Chose to stay here after reading the reviews on this site and we were not disappointed.

The House is in a good location within walking distance of many of the sites. Our three teenagers had the Penthouse Suite which was very roomy. Their bathroom was huge. Even with all three of them there was plenty of room to spare and the kids loved the attic style atmosphere. We had the East Suite which had a lovely view over the street and had a separate sitting room area and nice modern bathroom wtih a lovely big shower.

Our oldest son enjoyed the free wireless internet access for his laptop and we all made use of the many videos they have freely available. Touches such as the homemade cookies on the bed each day and muffins available in the breakfast room were nice, as was the free sherry in the evening. The breakfasts each day were excellent and they had contacted us before we came to ensure that there wasn't anything we were allergic to or simply didn't eat which was very considerate of them.

The two girls running the house were very friendly and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. As far as we were concerned it beat any 5-star hotel. A hotel simply couldn't match the friendliness and cosiness of the Barclay.

Eh?

by TripAdvisor Member tintable

Nice location and a very nice penthouse suite, but not an overly friendly atmosphere, and the breakfasts are quite awful. Nice touches with the wireless internet (when it works), and the sherry in the lounge, but overall this cannot be the #1 property in Vancouver, can it?

Our favourite

by TripAdvisor Member gateshead

We have just returned from our third Easter break at Barclay House Bed & Breakfast.
The location is great...walking distance to Stanley Park, the Vancouver Art Galllery and of course shopping and restaurants.
We always stay in the south suite on the front of the house which has a small sitting room attached. The queen size bed is extremely comfortable.
We love staying in the house, the homemade cookies and info on local spots to eat are a great touch. We have eaten at a number of the recommended restaurants, partcularly Random on Davie Street,and they have lived up to their recommendation.
We find the staff welcoming, friendly, accomodating and the breakfasts are terrific!
We never stay anywhere else when we visit Vancouver and would highly recommend it.

solid bed and breakfast

My wife and I stayed in the penthouse suite from April 27-30th 2005. The room was very good size. Only problem with it we had was getting to it, a lot of stairs, but that is expected for penthouse. The host was knowledgale and friendly. The location is very convenient to Robon street shopping and Stanley Park. All around very good time. Breakfasts were delicious.

Better than any hotel!

What a delightful time we had staying at Barclay House. My Mother was suitably impressed and at 81 years young, that is no small feat. Wonderful atmosphere and the food was excellent! We loved the freshly baked, warm cookies each day. It was a special holiday for us as we had not been on holiday together nor to downtown Vancouver in over 30 years. To be so close to English Bay, Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, Canada Place, Gas Town, China Town, we were able to walk everywhere. The Garden Suite was perfect, especially the gas fireplace after our long, cool walks in the rain.

And, Patrick plays a mean piano. My Mother said he, "Sings as good as, if not better than, Elton John". Our thanks again to Patrick, Rob and Muriel.

West End Treat !

by TripAdvisor Member Scouser-Sue

Barclay House is so well positioned in a quiet leafy street which is just a few minutes walk from English Bay, Coal Harbour, Stanley Park, and the main shopping. After several visits to Vancouver over the past few years and having stayed at the Four Seasons, Fairmount, Wedgwood etc. it made a nice change to actually speak to other visitors at breakfast rather than be anonymous and pass in corridors And to be able to sit on the front deck to chill out in the shade with a glass of sherry after a long day walking was a bonus.

We loved the breakfasts ! warm cheese scones, fresh fruit in rosewater, omelettes, wraps, quiche - wonderful !

Stayed in the Penthouse, had some issues with the shower and the showercurtain and the stairs up to the room are testing - but overall this place rates high in our minds because of the location and food.

WE met two couples who had travelled to Van from the USA to get married whilst we were staying there and they said Barclay House had added to the whole experience for them !

Expectations exceeded!

by TripAdvisor Member benthere

Talk about a pleasant surprise! From the moment I arrived to be greeted by the pleasant and helpful Jocelyn to the charm and comfort of my room to the extraordinary breakfasts prepared by the always cheerful Muriel ("She's our rock" - the owner) to the owner Patrick who went beyond the call of duty - so to speak - to help me out with a phone snafu of my own doing to the location on a beautiful tree-lined street: Barclay House left such a wonderful impression on this first time visitor to Vancouver. The house itself is gorgeous and Barclay House doesn't chintz on the amenities. My bed was so big and comfortable. There was a very helpful info packet on my bed upon arrival with all sorts of suggestions regarding sight-seeing, dining, transportation, etc. A basket with fresh baked goods was waiting for me on my pillow when I came back each evening. One evening, I came back to find a very large spigotted decanter full of ice tea and loaded with fresh citrus fruit in the living room inviting guests to help themselves. You could tell that Muriel delights in the reactions (lots of "oohs" and "aahs") of the guests to her fabulous 4 course breakfasts. They have wi-fi hotspots in the house for internet access. They also have an interesting "phone to go" available for guests. This came in very handy for me because I didn't have a cell phone and was trying to connect with friends in the area. It was such a big help. All in all, I was very impressed with Barclay House and it will be my first choice for accomodations when I visit Vancouver again.

Not as good as expected

by TripAdvisor Member JB21

I booked this B&B based on the reviews on this website and have to say that I was disappointed. I've stayed in a number of B&B's in a number of countries and would only rate this as average.

First the positives:
The location is great - very close to walk to most places. And the decor of the common rooms is lovely.

The negatives:
The room was too hot - even though there was an old air con unit in the corner. There was also a musty damp smell in the room we were in. The breakfasts were ok but would have been better is they had tried to be more simple with the offering and allowed some choice. And the breakfasts were only served between 8am and 9am. A little bit early for me when I'm on my holidays.

Overall I would say that it was ok but definitely not as good as some of these reviews.

JumpingHANNAHKEARNEY submitted by travelgourmetJumpingHANNAHKEARNEY submitted by travelgourmet

Stanley ParkStanley Park

UBC Museum of AnthropologyUBC Museum of Anthropology

Stanley ParkStanley Park

punjabi market

by riaz6789

I will be visiting the Punjabi market and would like to hear some useful tips.
Thanks!

by SamSalmon

Usually most stores are closed Monday or Tuesday.

The Best food in in Best Quality Sweets 57th & Main.

by riaz6789

Thank you very much for the info. Will appreciate if you tell us where is the Punjabi market located. Thanks in advance.

by aqazi

Honestly the punjabi market is a huge let down. I remember taking my parents there when we first moved to vanc. There are very few stores, especially Fabric and clothes stores, the food stores aren't great and the restaurants are all geared up for local taste buds and taste nothing like you're probably used to. I only go these days to get my fix of Indian sweets, I give everything else a miss. Scott road has a lot more to offer though you will need a car. The Indian community here is mainly Sikh punjabi, but I like southern Indian or pakistani punjabi food. Also none of these Indian restaurants are halal! That was the biggest issue for my folks as they wouldn't Eat anything there anyway.

Az...

by riaz6789

Thanks a lot! This information is very helpful. Now, we know at least what kind of foods are there!

Comments