Best Western Abercorn Inn

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Clean, Comfortable and Handy to Airport

Chose the hotel because of the Best Western loyalty program, and due to its proximity to the airport. The decor is Scottish, and seems a little tired and dated, but it was clean and comfortable. Liked the fact too, that there was a traffic light to make it easier getting in and out onto Bridgeport Road. The cooked breakfast in the morning was excellent, although served rather than a self-serve which many hotels now are using.
    Handy, too, to go down to the Richmond Mall.

Unique Quality: The Scottish decor is more definitely outstanding and memorable.

More about Vancouver

Log BoomLog Boom

Grizzly bear at Grouse Mountain (fenced in)Grizzly bear at Grouse Mountain (fenced in)

Stanley ParkStanley Park

UBC Museum of AnthropologyUBC Museum of Anthropology

Hotel shortlist

by Lad_uk

Hi,

I've decided to book a room in either Oceanside Hotel or Ramada Limited Downtown. From my understanding, they are in a good location for someone without a car to go and do the touristy things. Can anyone confirm that they are situated in a convenient location and are they good hotels to stay at? What are the options for public transport near the hotels?

Thanks.

by SfumatoPants

Those are not especially nice hotels, but the locations are good. I would choose:

www.daysinnvancouver.com/

...over the Ramada though, both roughly in the same price range.

Great smaller hotel recommendation:

www.hotellesoleil.com/

Any hotel in the downtown area is within walking distance of everything. Downtown Vancouver does not cover a great area. Transit is always near by and Taxis are cheap due to the short distances.

by tara108

You might check out Century Plaza - it's very central and has pricing similar to the ones you've listed, but it's much nicer.

by travelgourmet

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton and we felt not only comfortable but welcomed by staff. They have a free shuttle to the center of Downtown every day. A lot of sites we saw by walking were Yaletown, Gastown, Robson Street and Granville Island. We even walked to Chinatown that seemed to be the furthest of the things we wanted to do by walking. Oh, the BC Place Stadium is right across the street. Only 2 blocks to the Sky Train. See their website as I feel that their location is ideal for tourists that want a good hotel without the expense. See website: http://www.hamptoninnvancouver.com/index.php

by yvr

Oceanside hotel must be a new name for an older hotel that is located in that area. I would stay away from it. You need to stay closer to downtown, even though public transportation is available in that area. You might look at the Best Western located at Granville and Drake streets, Sandman Suites on Davie Street, there are two Ramada's one on Pender St and the other on Granville St. Public transit is near all these hotels, also walking is another option, downtown Vancouver is a very small city, very easy to get around in. As one poster suggested, the Day's Inn on Pender St would be an excellent choice.

by Lad_uk

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll look into the alternatives that have been suggested although at first glance, they look like they would be more expensive than my 2 choices. Should I not find cheaper prices, at least I'll know my hotel choices wouldn't leave me too far away from the center and will be well served by public transport.

Travel Tips for Vancouver

Vancouver SIM card rental

by CDNwonder

When I was recently traveling to Vancouver, BC, I used a company called ConfCall, and it cost me $20 for the SIM card rental. They require a deposit on the SIM card, but I got it back when I returned the card. They even delivered the card to my hotel, and included a prepaid mailer to just drop in the mail when I was done with it.

Worked out really well for me.

Stanley Park - take a bike. it's too much to hike

by ChadSteve1975

If you in Vancouver just for one day. You'd go here. Why? Because it has an abundance of sights and natural beauty.

But words of warning. Stanley Park is bigger than you think. Walking the park with map in hand means you'll be worn out and will run out of time to see it all.

My suggestion. Hire a bike. There are a few places just outside of the park where you can do this. This way you can ride around the park along the paths. Or for the mildly adventurous: go bush, onto the dirt tracks to get to the more obsure places. Vancouver is the one city I've visited which has the best green zones around.

I can't think of another city where you can escape so far into nature and yet still be in the centre of town.

If you have never been to...

by kpwilliams

If you have never been to Vancouver before, first place that any local would probably show you is the huge and beautiful Stanley Park.
The stunning views to the downtown core and the Northshore mountains is not to be missed.
The park hosts tress that are not only gigantic, but also some as old as Christopher Columbus. The fresh, crisp clean mountain sea air is one of the many things that I miss about Vancouver when away. Not to mention, the scenery.

Getting to and around the city

by spitball

I dont want a pickle
I just wanna ride on my motorcycle
And I dont want a tickle
I'd rather ride on my motorcycle
And I dont wanna die
I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle

It was late last night, the other day
Thought I'd go up and see Ray
So I went up and I saw Ray
There was only one thing Ray could say was I...

I dont want a pickle
I just wanna ride my motorcycle
And I don't want a tickle
I'd rather ride on my motorcycle
And I don't wanna die
Just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle

Late last week I was on my bike
I run into a friend named Mike
Run into a friend named Mike
Mike no longer has a bike he cries...

I don't want a pickle
I just wanna ride on my motorcycle
Yeah, and I don't want a tickle
Cuz I'd rather ride on my motorcycle
And I don't wanna die
Just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle

Arlo Guthrie Getting around this city you can take transit, and work some days to find a seat, or you can take your own vehicle. You can rent one of these Honda Scooters down at Carter Motorsports, at the entrance to Granville Island. They are alot of fun if you're careful, and cheap to run. Top speed is a whopping 51 KPH, or roughly 30 MPH

Tel: (604) 736-4547 Fax: (604) 732-4263

1502 West 3rd Ave., Vancouver, B.C. V6J 1J7

www.cartermotorsports.com

For more info on BC...

by Darby2

For more info on BC Travel

Don't forget to head over to Vancouver Island and the magnificent beaches of Pacific Rim National Park, with the huge breakers from the open Pacific pounding the shore of Long Beach.

Photo by Stuart May, copyright 2001