788 Richards Street, Vancouver, V6B 3A4, Canada

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 89% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Great City Hotel!

A great hotel from start to finish. Excellent rooms are very comfortable. Service is 5 star and all the staff happy, smiling and attentive. The location is ideal, close to lots of restaurants - hard to think of a better location for a hotel in Vancouver, and hard to imagine a better hotel!

Unique Quality: Stylish rooms in a great location.

More about L'Hermitage Hotel

Great new place

by TripAdvisor Member Happydutchman

Good stay in new boutique style hotel, well located in downtown Vancouver. Small hotel in building on floor 5,6 and 7 with permanent appartments on other floors.
Free LAN based internet in room, wireless in lounge. Lounge accessible for all guests, where also free continental breakfast was served.

Friendly Hotel in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member LAURASKINNER

Stayed in the L'Hermitage Hotel for one night in August before heading over to Vancouver Island.

The hotel is beautiful and the staff could not be better - they were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Bedrooms are large (for a city) and the bed is big and comfortable! The dining room's decor is beautiful and the contential buffet was fantastic - just what we need before heading to Grouse Mountain!

The location is great, just off Robson Street - and there is a handy grocery shop just a couple of doors down from the hotel.

I would definitely recommend the L'Hermitage Hotel to anyone staying in Vancouver - and there is a great little bar right opposite the hotel entrance.

Excellent choice for hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Safariman2

My partner and I had a great stay at this hotel....

We arrived late in the evening, and had minimal problems with check-in. The receptionist was able to updrade us to a king/studio room at no additional charge,and the studio suite contained a functional kitchen with high-end stove, fridge, micro, etc.

We loved the interior decorating touches, including a separate living room space, balcony, separate bedroom, etc. A minor complaint was the small size of the bathroom, which is almost the size of my shower at home (1.2 sq. mtr.) I found the tub in the bathroom could be taken out and instead, standing showers alone, would suffice.

The breakfasts in the morning are in the Orangerie on the 5th floor, and are fairly good, although they do charge for espresso/cappucione (coffee being the standard fare and complimentary). Having said that, the quality of the pastries, croissants, fresh fruit, juices, etc. is quite good.

The only complaint I had was that the management would not allow a late checkout (insisting that the rooms had to be vacated by 12 noon). This was annoying, especially since the hotel was not at full occupancy during our stay! Navertheless, the bellservice, restaurant suggestions, and ease of getting taxis, etc. was quite good, and the location is fairly central. The neighbourhood is getting rapid gentrification, and personal safety was not a huge concern even late at night.

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member DLKKent

The hotel is well located in walking distance of Granville Island in one direction & Stanley Park in another.
We thought the hotel rooms very well appointed & the bathroom excellent. We liked the option of taking tea & coffee in lounge in the afternoon, breakfast was nice but the coffee is very weak by european standards. All staff were very polite, helpful & friendly, the perosn in the lounge particulary so. We would definately stay here again & would recommend it. We were surprised that you did not need a key card to use the lift & after reading some of the other reviews regarding car crime wonder whether this is something the hotel should consider.

Beautiful Hotel, Small Room

by TripAdvisor Member sdn123

This hotel is lovely to look at. All of the finishes are top-notch. We enjoyed the included breakfast and nicely equipped fitness center. The studio king we stayed in was a bit small for a newer boutique hotel. It just felt like too much furniture in too small of a space. However, the bathroom was very nice sized with a separate soaking tub and shower. Good location for shopping on Robson, but not really close to any of the big touristy things.

Beautiful decor

by TripAdvisor Member AnjouLondon

Just spent a week at this hotel and enjoyed it very much. The room was beautifully decorated with a large bathroom and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the L'Orangerie lounge. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Two critiscisms - we had some issues with the door lock of our room. One time we came back to find the maid had left the door open and second time door was open because the programming was faulty. Luckily everything was OK but as an earlier reviewer mentioned there is no key card entry to the lift. This should be addressed.

Second - hotel lobby is very stark and small. No where for friends to meet up.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Vancouver.

Great Hotel, with Significant Security Issues

by TripAdvisor Member Steve5052

We enjoyed our stay at L'Hermitage. The rooms and decor are great, it is brand new and the location is very central. It is really a condominium building, so when you get a room here you are not getting a full service hotel (there is no room service or restaurant for example). Since the bldg is both condos and hotel, there is a mixture of people in the building, including quite a few people who I would guess are not actually residents or registered guests.

But on the plus side you get a much bigger room than a traditional hotel. We reserved a room with a full kitchen and bought groceries at Whole Foods for our stay, so the kitchen can be a significant convenience (and money saver). Overall, I would definitely go back - except for one big issue, security. Similar to one of the other reviewers, my car was broken into while parked in the "secure", gated portion of the garage. My car was parked next to two surveillance cameras. The break in is not that big a deal, but I was really kind of surprised by the passive approach that the hotel takes to this. Two cars were broken into last night, and it is clear from my conversations with hotel staff that this happens regularly, they have tried many things to fix the problem (except one, as mentioned below). The problem is that people are following cars into the garage through the open gate, then waiting and breaking windows. The parking area is small, and staffing the area at one end with a single guard would provide a full view of all guest vehicles, but they are not doing this, instead they put up signs and ask people to keep their eyes open. I am not a security expert but the only way I can see that this particular garage can be protected is with a live body, it's too easy to get into from the alley behind the hotel.

There are three other aspects to the security problem that concern me:

1. Post-breakin, the staff does little to help except help cover the window, vacuum glass from the car and give the guest the police phone number. Beyond that you are on your own. The desk clerk deducted my parking charges and then explained what a nuisance this was to the hotel. So as a guest who has paid over $350/night to stay here and is now facing a $500 insurance deductible, you get to hear how irritated the hotel staff is by having to deal with this all the time, and how frustrated they are that previous fixes have not worked - that's not what I want to hear, what I would like to hear is something along the lines of "we are going to fix our security problem no matter what it takes";

2. The mixture of hotel and condo visitors is a concern. There is very little control or record of who is visiting the building. The hotel staffs only one or two people at the front desk and that is the only means to keep track of who is coming or going. I recognize that anyone can walk into a hotel building anywhere, but this situation seems much more uncontrolled because of the combination of an unusually small hotel staff and and unusually diverse mixture of hotel guests, condo owners, condo renters, and condo visitors. If I were at the front desk it would be very hard for me to know which of the people in the lobby had a legitimate reason to be there and which did not;

3. Finally, and most frightening really, is that with all the break-ins in the garage, there is nothing keeping a person in the garage from reaching any floor in the hotel completely undetected. Once in the garage a person can get to any room in the building without a key card and without passing through the lobby or past a hotel staff member. So while they have a clear problem with intruders in the garage, those intruders can walk through one unsecured door and use the elevator to reach any room in the building.

The security problems at this hotel can be fixed, but the solutions will probably require paying for a security guard to monitor the garage, or at the very least monitor the video cameras. I understand that is expensive but so are insurance deductibles. Until they fix the security, I would definitely not go back, even though I liked the rooms and the location. The bottom line is I would not under any circumstances want my wife or children staying at this hotel alone, and that is a fatal flaw in my mind for a hotel that charges over $350/night. I was not angry with the hotel staff at all, I know they did not cause the situation to happen, but I did tell them that they need to fix their security issue - all the fancy furnishings do not make up for the fact that they are not controlling access to their building.

Stay here before people find out about it

by TripAdvisor Member PBFH_8

This is a very new property and for now, a secret find. Rooms were spotless and modern. Large bath with tub and shower. The continental breakfast (included) is far superior to the typical continental breakfast of other hotels. Also, the hotel has (also included) an afternoon tea/coffee and cookie service, a library with two computers for guest use and friendly staff. Location was right on Robson Street - perhaps a tiny bit way from the more upscale end of the city, but still a wonderful place to stay at a very very good rate for Vancouver central city.

Perfect.

by TripAdvisor Member chenney007

I can't rave about this place enough. Customer service was above and beyond, making sure we were happy, comfortable and knew exactly where and how to get around in the city. It was almost like we were family guests. They even have a driver available (when possible) to take you to where you need to go. The hotel is brand spankin' new, so naturally the rooms were immaculate, modern and overall really luxurious. In our studio, the bathroom was nearly the same size as the actual room space, and came with both a standing shower and large tub. It was gorgeous. Conveniently on the same floor, we had access to their business center computers (and there is complimentary WiFi throughout) as well as their lounge room, which serves a continental breakfast in the mornings and has complimentary cookies and coffee at night (which we definitely took advantage of). We enjoyed reading their art books next to the fireplace -- it was so cozy! We were disappointed that it was too cold to take advantage of their pool, though there was a hot tub that we saw people in.

The value is amazing. We'll be back, for sure!

No need to look any further - this is it!

by TripAdvisor Member cdnabroad

I can only echo all the positive reviews of L'Hermitage. We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2008 and loved it. We had booked a Studio Deluxe King, but were upgraded (although they didn't tell us they were upgrading us) to a One Bedroom Premium King room. It was absolutely gorgeous, spacious, and clean. If we had stayed longer we would have definitely made use of the kitchen and the washer/dryer!
The breakfast was included and was more than adequate for us. And the room where you eat breakfast is quite luxurious. There are also couches by a fireplace where you can sit and read one of the many newspapers they have.
The location was perfect for us - we were going to a concert just down the road at BC Place. The other days we walked down to grab a water taxi over to Granville Island, shopped along Robson Street, etc.
They let us check out an hour or two late, which was nice to be able to lounge around a little longer on a cool and rainy day. The people at reception were always very friendly.
I don't have any negative things to say about it!
We paid $209/night plus taxes, which is a steal for what we got. I will definitely stay here again.

Comments