900 Seymour Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 3L9, Canada

Priceline.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• leelees's Profile Photo

Sadly, a victim of Olympic preparation

The Duff was a seedy hotel but one of the best - or most real - gay bars in town. Unfortunately, it has now been gentrified into a tourist-friendly establishment, and the pub, which was one of the only places where males, females, and undecideds could meet without having to take off their shirts and greasing up, is gone. For the greasy half nakeds, see The Odyssey and Celebrities.

Unique Quality: Drag queens who weren't prettier than me and the worst karaoke in town.

Directions: Gone

More about Moda Hotel

Moda Hotel in Vancouver BC

by TripAdvisor Member teena192

Awesome location in the heart of Vancouver. Very cute, Mod hotel with stylish rooms and decor. In the freezing cold nights of January I stayed nice and cozy in my little room. The staff was VERY courtieous and helpful. Only downside of the room was the walls were very thin. You can hear your neighbors phone ring like it is right next to your head. I paid $80 a night for the room which was a great deal.

Love the Moda!

by TripAdvisor Member Pengulady

We loved the Moda Hotel because:

- Chris at the front desk was very helpful and friendly.
- The rooms were very clean and ultra modern.
- The hotel is in the heart of the downtown Robson street area.
- The rates were cheap! I booked on their web site and since I'm an AMA/CAA member, I was given a discount. It ended up being around $92 per night in April. Normally I believe you get what you pay for...but that's not the case at the Moda.
- I loved how the floors were hardwood...and not that yucky dirty carpet you normally get in hotels.
- The rooms are not huge...but the perfect size for what we needed.
- Try not to get a room by the stairwell because I found it very noisy at night. (People chose to take the stairs most of the time because the elevator was slow.)

Very nice- will return

by TripAdvisor Member French_McGuire

We stayed one night at the Moda Hotel during our trip to Vancouver for the marathon on May 4. We had a very good experience- we plan on staying here the next time we travel to Vancouver.
The desk folks were very kind, allowed us a late check-out (noon) for no fee. Parking was only $10/day with in & out privilage. We booked our room at their website with no problems.
We had a 2nd floor room that had windows overlooking Smithe. The room was very clean & very simple. Very clean bathroom as well. We didn't use the AC or heaters, but did feel quite a draft coming from the bank of single pane windows- don't know what the temperature situation would be like on a hot or cold day. There was an electronic safe in the room & a big tv with lots of channels. The walls were a bit thin- could easily hear our neigbhors thumping down the hall, opening & closing doors, etc. The car horns, people noise & sirens didn't stop until about 1am- so keep that in mind if you plan on turning in early on a Saturday night in a 2nd or 3rd floor room.
The location was perfect for us- just a few blocks to Robson, Yaletown, GM place- about a mile to Stanely Park. Safe enough neigborhood as well- coffee and snacks stores just a few doors down.
This is not a high-rise luxury hotel overlooking the water- suited us just fine. We plan on staying here again.

Wonderful Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Loudtravel_8

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend and we loved it! I decided to book us at this hotel after reading all of the wonderful reviews and I must say they were right. We didn't have a problem with the room size, but I suppose that could be because we got a king. The decor was modern and simple. The service was nothing short of excellent. They were very helpful in finding the parking garage, the man on duty went out of his way by walking me out to the car to give me better directions. The location was perfect, we were within waking distance of the entire city. Our only complaint is the sheets were rough, although we got kind of used to them by the second night. Overall we loved it and would stay here again with a second thought.

Wonderful stay at Moda!

by TripAdvisor Member jsgirls

Just returned from 5 night stay at Moda. I booked directly with the hotel for just under $100. Amazing central location yet just off the beaten path. Rooms were SO beautiful. Very modern furnishings and style; sparkling bathroom, spacious room with desk, couple chairs, cube ottoman, dresser, plasma tv, free cable internet (not wireless), and little mini bar/fridge. Really gorgeous. Super comfy bed. Really no noise at all other than the odd garbage truck and a little "city noise" in the mornings. Had a room in the back though so it was fine.
Housekeeping lady was wonderful- so friendly and left the room ridiculously clean each day. Front desk staff was beyond helpful. Especially Chris. Loved him! Parking was 10$ for 24 hours with in and out privileges. Good deal.

Classy wine bar attached to the hotel (called UVA) and nice wine/beer store (also owned by the hotel). No noise from the bar whatsoever. Clearly a fairly new property and beautifully designed. Best kept secret in the area. Would definitely stay again!

Clean and tidy

by TripAdvisor Member MfW31

The Moda is in a renovated building. The room was a little small (1 queen bed) but clean. The bed was comfortable and the linens crisp. The room was a little noisy with single pane windows (mine didn't seal fully) but well worth the price. It is on the same block as a Starbucks and a great grocery store so well located.

It was going good UNTIL...

by TripAdvisor Member ancher

My girlfriend and I just returned from Vancouver where she ran the half-marathon ((2:05), Melanie got ninth in her age group and broke two hours, Peggy almost broke two hours) and we stayed with a group of friends at the Hotel Moda.

It was pretty nice, very utilitarian rooms, white walls (not good) with one red accent wall that needed some good original artwork, good comfortable bed, due to mix up (or should I say miscommunication) didn't get key to the minibar, can't tell you what was inside.

We stayed on the courtyard side and got a good view of a dumpster, our friends stayed on the street side and got a good view of Staples. (By the way, Staples opens later on Sunday than you might think). But the views weren't such a bad thing cuz the place was pretty nice, as I said.

All in all it was very handy and really well located and really pretty good EXCEPT the front desk told us to not leave anything in our cars in the parking garage and we didn't until we had checked out and were just going to eat dim sum for a couple of hours.

Well, that was enough to get our car broken into and our bags stolen. Forgetting the fact that my girlfriend was pretty happy certain clothing items of mine were stolen, it was not a nice experience. And then, as we were cleaning up the glass, the guy they called with the broom to clean up told us that last weekend two cars had been broken into, both with Washington plates.

So watch out for that parking garage especially if you're from Seattle. And why the front desk didn't warn people from Washington State specifically stuck a little in our craw.

The dim sum was awesome, however, but maybe not worth the price.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member glparker4

This is an older hotel that has recently been remodeled with modern decor. The interior design of the hotel is very unique and appealing. The location of the hotel is perfect. We were able to walk all over downtown and take the skytrain to other parts of the city. We practically didn't need our car during our stay. The area has several shops, restaurants, and bars nearby. The area is also very safe and vibrant. There are always people out and walking at all hours. The staff at this hotel was also very nice and helpful.

There are a few downsides to this hotel. I would not recommend it for families or groups of more than 2 people. The rooms and bathrooms are a tad bit small. We had to constantly zip up or suitcases and move them aside in order to walk around. This is not a flaw but just the style of the hotel building. Another issue is that there is no air conditioning. We didn't need it as the weather of Vancouver is mild year-round. Each room does have an air purifier/filter that helps and the windows open. Again, this is just due to the fact that this is an old building and the air inside may come across as stuffy at first but it's not bad. The final issue was the lack of wireless internet. There is an ethernet port in the rooms providing internet access at a desk next to the TV. The internet was fast but it would have been nice to be able to sit on the bed or somewhere more comfortable although this was no big deal. The final note is that parking is $10/day. This is typical in any downtown area and actually cheap for Vancouver. Again, none of these are major issues but you should note them as this type of hotel isn't for everyone.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience at this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Comments