1114 Barclay Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 1H1, Canada

Booking.com eDreams Priceline.com

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Historic accommodations in Vancouver

This house got its name because the Canadian national anthem was reportedly written here.

Though much of Vancouver's history has been knocked down, this place has survived. The decor inside is very "Victorian" in style and has a very comfortable feel to it.

Technically it's a B&B but I didn't get the sense that it's not really anyone's home.

Unique Quality: Character, character, character!

More about O Canada House

2nd time around - even better!

Hi all - this was our 2nd stay at the O'Canada House and it was even better than our first visit. Both times we stayed during the Christmas holidays - the 2nd time for 9 days. We absolutely adored the B&B mainly because of our hosts, Helene, Rick, and Heather. We felt like we were visiting friends instead of an establishment. They were so friendly and helpful - not at all the "snooty" arrogance found in some B&Bs. The house decor was exquisite in detail, the music absolutely appropriate, and the food...fantastic! We gained weight on the hearty breakfasts - orange juice, coffee/tea, mixed fruit, crossiants, apple muffins, cranberry scones, mushroom omlettes, spinach fritatas, eggs benedict, coconut pancakes, blueberry waffles - to name a variety of food presented. The pantry was stocked with freshly made orange and banana pound cakes, muffins, and scones, drinks, and juice should one become hungry later in the day. Gosh - I'm making myself hungry just describing it! The front parlor was delightful to sit in and read by the fire where you could warm your back from an evening stroll. It also has a nice front porch should one want to relax outside. They even provide umbrellas for the guests to use.

I loved the location since we could walk everywhere downtown and run in Stanley Park. (Definitely needed to after the breakfasts!) We felt very safe in the west end where the B&B is located. Like every BIG city, there will be homeless people. You may be approached, and then again, you may not. I'm used to it from San Francisco and San Jose but felt much safer in Vancouver, BC.

Because it is a Victorian two-story house and is located in the midst of a large downtown area, you may hear some of the outside sounds. Also late in the evening, you may hear some of the people walking up the stairs to their rooms. At first I used ear-plugs like I do at every place away from home, but only after 2 days, I put them away and slept very well. Keep in mind - I am an extremely light sleeper.

Each room is different. We stayed in the Master Suite and really appreciated the "privacy hallway" that separated it from the main part of the house. Next time, I'd like to stay in the Penthouse - very large! Oh - if you are particularly tall, when you make your reservations, check on the height of the shower head - it's a bit low in the Master Suite. Quite fine for me, since I'm sort of on the short to average side.

Keep in mind, it's a B&B for adults, no kids or pets. It's a very relaxing, beautiful, romantic place. If you want to stay where you don't interract with other people, or have kids, or want room service... my suggestion would be stay at a hotel. Those that like the smaller, quaint, friendly type of accomodations, O'Canda House is definitely worth it.

Enjoy!

The Lovely O Canada House

by TripAdvisor Member crcclar

We stayed at the O Canada House on our honeymoon in the summer of 2005. The house is charming, the staff friendly, and everything is beautifully taken care of. You will feel pampered from the moment you arrive and see the chocolate chip cookie and teddy bear on your bed in your lovely lace-curtained room! We also enjoyed seeing pictures of the amazing restoration of the house while sipping an evening cocktail in the parlour. Breakfast was delightful, and we would definitely stay here again!

Comfort and charm

by TripAdvisor Member llcowan

I stayed at O Canada House while on a business trip to Vancouver, after being tired of staying at hotel after hotel. After a 24+ hour flight from Australia, I was welcomed in to this lovely home with a cozy tour and warm chocolate chip cookies. The staff are amazing - friendly and welcoming, and the breakfasts were to die for. The location is convenient and it's a nice walk to really anywhere of interest on a warm day (it was a little chilly during my visit). I will definitely be back - hopefully for a holiday in the near future and would recommend O Canada House to anyone.

Fabulous breakfast and roaring fires!

by TripAdvisor Member Bean2

We were directed to O Canada House after discovering our prebooked B&B was under serious renovation... boy did we fall on our feet!!!

O Canada House was wonderful- fabulous beds, lovely sitting room where you can curl up with a book and afternoon tea after a hard days shopping, sightseeing or business, claw foot baths etc etc.

Nathan and Rik are amazing cooks and every breakfast seemed better than the last - we are still arguing over whether we loved the eggs benedict more than the softest scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast we've ever had.

Helene was a wonderful host and made sure we knew all the best restaurants (the Boathouse was particularly good)and places to visit (Aquarium for the cute sea otters!).

A great idea was the guests kitchen where you can help yourselves to the homebaked goodies, loads of varieties of tea, soft drinks, coffee..even cereals if you're still peckish after breakfast!

Reality check

by TripAdvisor Member AlabamaHappytraveler

After returning home, we wondered, "Where is our sherry and our gourmet breakfast?"! What a reality check.
Choosing your wonderful bed and breakfast on the internet--out of all the others, was such a blessing. There could not be a better location, more comfortable bed, better breakfast or more informative concierge in all of Vancouver.
Thanks for making our last 3 days in Canada such treasured ones.

The Jones family
Birmingham, Alabama

fast wireless, clean, outstanding location

by TripAdvisor Member Auriel_Swacker

Stayed for 6 days whilst at a convention downtown. East Room has excellent wireless connection. Great staff -- accommodated my early-morning schedule. Incredible location -- safe residential neghborhood, within walking distance of almost everywhere. Less than 10 minutes walk to downtown. Not cheap, but worth it.

Fabulous breakfasts, warm, gracious hosts, and beautiful surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member MISuzanne

My daughter and I stayed 6 days here and hated to leave. We can't wait to return. The home is in a residential neighborhood within walking distance of downtown.
The home has lots of character and a warm, cozy atmosphere. But most of all, it is the attention to detail that sets it apart. Our hosts, Heather, Ric, and Judy were so helpful with advice and directions. Ric's breakfasts were truly gourmet. Each afternoon sherry is served in the parlor, and there is always a supply of beverages and snacks in the guest pantry. Wireless internet access is available throughout the house. All this at a cost of less than most hotels.

Home Away From Home

by TripAdvisor Member Lunajj

May 31st, 2006

Located TWO BLOCKS from Robson Street---one of the most well-known city sites in Vancouver, OCanada House impresses its visitors with the extraordinary quiet environmant and homey atmosphere. Lovely details such as 24-7 self-serving bakery and beverage etc. bring the best comfort to the guests. This historical house still remains its major characteristics, polished with owner's perpetual care and maintanence.

Helene and Rick who are the innkeepers of this beautiful BnB home welcome their guests with the most warming regards and accommodation: the suits are both spacious and cozy; and it does require deep inner strength not to be addicated to the delicious breakfast, which in a sense, is much like a peice of artistic work.

For the two days staying there, I felt at home, and I was alomst reluctant to leave, it will be a pleasure to go back and enjoy the relaxing moments again.
Luna

Amazing Vancouver Experience

Beautiful home, comfortable rooms, AMAZING breakfast and a friendly staff that offered great hometown advice! Perfect for our first trip and honeymoon to Vancouver! We can't wait to go back:)

Comments