Ramada Inn and Suites Downtown Vancouver

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• swa7381's Profile Photo

Downtown Nightlife in Vancouver

Pros: Friendly staff and very flexible. Clean rooms, Free WiFi, Location to bars and restaurants, Remodeled rooms and bath.

Cons:Very old building that creeks and groans while walking on the third floor.
    Rooms very small with the suite option in another part of the room.
    The beds were less than 72" long.
    The bath had a 24" square shower stall. The toilet was elevated in a separate open space of the bath but with no door for privacy, the funny part was it looked like a huge area for just a toilet.
    Very Noisy and close to the street makes night time hard to sleep. The close proximity of all the bars makes it impossible to relax until after closing.
    Elevator was small,old and had a drain in it for hosing down "stuff"
    Parking was $15 and not secured.

If all you need is a place to crash close to all the bars this is the place for you.

Unique Quality: Close to all the drinking spots

• THIS PLACE IS AWFUL

So. I booked a reservation for the evening for 4/2/11 about a month ago. My reservation was cancelled due to my card declining (card number I used at the time of reservation was stolen, and therefore cancelled. I believed that I would not be charged until departure, or at least arrival) so ok, my fault I guess. But I'm VERY confused as to how/why I did not receive so much as a quick email informing me of this, in which case it would have quickly been rectified and a new card number given. The front desk woman was extremely rude about this, lied and said that someone had contacted me and that was just an overall terrible experience. But ok, I guess stuff can go wrong sometimes.

And then another friend who had booked a room in the same hotel arrived. "Oh, the fire alarm went off and everything in the room that was reserved for you is soaked. You can't stay here." Seriously? Okay. The same front desk woman then proceeded to belittle them a bit, and then found them a room 2 MILES away, for more money. No apologies, no offering of a cab to get there, and a lie about the proximity of the new hotel. It's 8:30 at this point, we have things to do on GRANVILLE, where she had booked a room. And, when I suggested that they get a room at the Howard Johnson across the street where I am staying and know they still have rooms available, the woman behind the desk goes "we already reserved this one for you. Sorry."

My friends proceed to trek their way (in a foreign country no less) to the oh so close hotel. They arrive at the Empire Landmark and the gentleman at the front desk has not received the reservation because the evil desk woman at the Ramada has used Expedia and not faxed them, or called them to inform them of the situation. My friend proceeds to call the Ramada and try to figure something out (roaming charges applied) and she asks to speak to the front desk at the Empire. They speak for a bit, nothing is fixed. She refuses to fax anything over (confirmation) and when the phone is handed back to my friend, your front desk woman is on the line screaming profanities. "He's a F***ING idiot, I'm going to come there and slap him" Etc. I have never even heard of such a lack of professionalism. This is 100% unacceptable.

All in all, of the 3 rooms booked only 1 was available. Thank you Ramada for ruining what would have been an otherwise great night!

By the way, I believe her name started with an "M", brunette, she looked about 35+ and had a bit of an accent.

• bisous333's Profile Photo

A good place for a self-catering stay

When I went to Vancouver in March 2006, I stayed in this hotel in the self-catering suite with a friend, we stayed for 10 days. What can I say the staff are quiet helpful, mostly because they are Canadian and it's in their nature, well so I think, compared to other nationalities I've experienced!

The hotel is positioned just before the bridge that takes you out of downtown Vancouver to the suburbs and heading towards the airport. It was about a 30-40min ride using the airport shuttle, which I think is definitely the best way to travel, I think it cost us about 16 CAD each for a return journey and we got to see a little tour of the city before we finally reached our hotel. The hotel, although not jazzy and hyped up compared to some of the others, is conviently situated infront of a bus stop so that you can either walk or ride the bus to the end of the street and be in the hub of everything.

One major concern was that our suite was situated above the dancefloor of the hotel's accompanying bar/ nightclub and we were told that we would have to endure the sounds and vibrations pumping through the floor till 3am, gladly for us it was only for 2 nights of our stay, but the hotel did say that they could move us to another, non self_catering room, we decided to stay needless to say, we had got rather used to our large tv, microwave and kitchen area.

The apartment suite really was very cheap compared to hotels that I have stayed in Europe, well I guess it was low season as well, being March, not even the Orcas (whales) were out to play!

Unique Quality: It has a bar right underneath and a nightclub to the right- beware of night time noise, if you aren't a party animal, you can always ask to avoid the suite above the dancefloor!

Directions: At the edge of downtown Vancouver, just before the bridge that leads to the suburbs! Its at the edge of the all the clubs that run along the street and also well served for

• Art Deco?

This hotel in downtown Vancouver, built in 1906, has been described as "Art Deco". Well if "Art Deco" translates to "tiny rooms" then the Ramada certainly fits that description. The hotel's suites are supposedly larger, but they are still not the most adequately spaced rooms around.

The Ramada Inn and Suites Downtown is in a prime location, but not the safest of locations. Granville Street is full of sex and drug paraphenalia shops in this area. Be careful late at night.

Rooms come standard with: coffee and tea, iron, tv with cable and pay-per-view, data port telephones with voicemail, heat/air conditioning, daily newspaper delivery, and hairdryers.

The Ramada is connected to Morrissey's Irish House, a very popular place to eat and drink.

Aside from the "tiny rooms" aspect, the Ramada is a decent place to stay. It is probably not worth the money though.

Unique Quality: complimentary full access to Fitness World, a two minute walk away.

ALLOWS PETS.

Directions: corner of Granville and Davie

if entering downtown from the Granville Bridge, turn left on Davie and the hotel is immediately on the left-hand corner (southwest corner)

More about Ramada Inn and Suites Downtown Vancouver

Great Staff, Acceptable Room

by TripAdvisor Member BernieSeattle_WA

I stayed at the Granville Ramada in mid-October while in town to catch a hockey game. I reserved the room through Priceline, and was a little nervous when I found out the hotel was located on Granville (past experiences with noise, troublesome club/bar patrons, panhandling, etc). Once at the hotel, however, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The hotel bar was one of the nicest and interesting I have been to for awhile. While the room was a little on the small side and the bed of average comfort, the room was spotless and the bathroom huge. For the money and occassion (I walked to GM Place in about 15-20 minutes), I was satisfied and would stay here again. For the record, I didn't have any problems on Granville, either.

Don't even think about it!!

We booked this hotel online. Don't waste your time, it is aweful - not even worth a star rating.

The stench was unbearable, the rooms were tiny and the noise was irritating. No thanks, we walked across the street and booked at the Howard Johnson's for less money and had a great room for the price.

Trust me, this place is aweful...

Top Notch

I stayed in Vancouver for 5 nights and found the Ramada on Granville to be top notch in customer service, quality and value. The first night we had a smaller room. It would be fine for 2 people but, a little small for 3 for an extended stay. Lucky for us, the hotel had a larger room available and upgraded us with no extra charge. WOW !! When the parking was full, they had a valet service at the same $12 parking fee. Everyone on the desk and cleaning the rooms we came across couldn't have been more accomodating. The rooms were clean and the hotel is in good repair. We really liked the area, it was within walking distance to Robson St. and other downtown locations. You could walk the other direction to Graville Island very easily. Vancouver is a fun town and I recommend this hotel when you stay.
p.s. - I have high "princess like" standards who operates on a budget, this met all standards. :-)

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Sensisimon

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our World Travels. We were reallly pleased with the room (fair size, but perhaps small by North America standards) and the location - it was within 5 minutes walk from Gastown and 10 minutes walk to Robson street in one direction and Chinatown in the other. The staff were pleasant and the breakfast was OK. There are many places nearby for good value internet and eating. Be careful though, at night you feel unsafe only a couple of blocks from the hotel near the main street of Gastown and avoid China Town at night.

Nightmare on Granville

by TripAdvisor Member BruceScotland

This is the worst experience that I have ever paid for. The Hotel claimed that we had cancelled our booking prior to arrival (news to us) and had not contacted us to confirm this. We were accommodated for two nights instead of the 9 we booked but left as soon as we could arrange an alternative.

We were awoken at 1 AM by loud music from the in-house nightclub and were told that the new local by-laws allowed this music to continue until 3! The music did stop at 3 and we got some sleep. A really bad place to stay, and the staff are not interested in helping, or are totally incompetent (one or the other without exception).

In the end we were glad to leave as we found the insane shouting patrons of the coffee shop on the corner rather intimidating, also the underage drinkers in the parking lot were not a good sign.

Do not stay here if you want to relax.

Interesting.....

by TripAdvisor Member gefilte63

If you are a budget traveller, student or party animal looking for a home-base this hotel is for you...others should look elsewhere.
While Granville Street is making a comeback, it still has a long way to go. There are homeless people and other street people all around the hotel, many of whom rant and rave at all hours. The clubs up and down the street and on the hotel's main floor mean all kinds of foot traffic and noise until late at night. The hotel itself has rooms that are clean but small and not updated in quite a while. Our first room was tiny and I asked for an upgrade and got a suite with a kitchenette. We knew to ask for a room in the back on a high floor which was quieter, but the walls and floors are very thin. We heard the people in the room directly above ours "going at it" at all hours.
The only saving grace is the wonderful, helpful front desk staff. They were most helpful in recommending restaurants, etc.
I have stayed at YMCA's that were quieter and in better neighborhoods than this hotel.

Not worth the price... at all.

by TripAdvisor Member sawii

After cycling 180 miles from Seattle to Vancouver, the downtown Ramada looked just fine and I didn't care about the high high price. Vancouver was really busy this weekend due to a large fireworks competition, gay pride weekend and a Canadian national holiday, so that was a little more justification for having to pay almost $250US per night with tax for a double. The okay part of the Ramada was the friendly desk staff and clean rooms. The problems were the fact hotel is towards the south end of Grandville and the area is pretty dirty, the rooms were very small and my car was burglarized while under the car of the valet. (I suspect the car was left unlocked as there are no signs of a break in. The worst part of the burgulary is that whoever got into the car took items that are useless to anyone besides me and left behind things that could have actually been resold.)

Pretty average for the price

by TripAdvisor Member passive649

This place was a bit of a mixture really. The most annoying thing was the plumbing in the walls made it sound like everytime someone in the building flushed the toilet, it was going to rain down on the bed, and when the neighbours used the shower it sounded like it was in the room with you.

Positives were the free highspeed wireless internet and the free pass to use one of the local fitness centres.

Staff seemed relatively friendly, if a bit slow to serve customers standing at check in.

Overall, considering the price we paid - on hotwire for a discount (apparently) there are better places to stay in Vancouver that will give you more value for money.

Comments