2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Priceline.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• Rissy70's Profile Photo

Best Hidden gem in Vancouver

This Hotel is very friendly and located two blocks from just about everywhere you need to go to or a short bus ride. Breakfast is included and the staff is VERY friendly and helpful.
    If you need a place to stay try the Ramada downtown you will not be disappointed.

Unique Quality: Breakfast included
    Very helpful staff
    nice hotel beautifully restored 100 year old hotel

Directions: up and coming area

More about Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown

won't book there again!

by TripAdvisor Member joodles

I stayed at the Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver on west Pender Street, from March 9th to March 13th 2006 with my daughter. The hotel is a study in contrasts.When we arrived and got to our room, I have no idea where abouts we were in the hotel other than the 5th floor because the window was sort of smoked glass, we were quickly upset by the "frat boys" whooping it up in the room beside us. They were wrestling and shouting and banging against the walls. I sensed that this was not likely to stop, since it was already 10pm so I called the front desk and asked for another room. They were apologetic and said they'd contact the guests in the next room and told us to come down and that they'd give us another room. The next room was on the 4th floor facing the very busy West Pender street. The street noise, even that late, was unpleasant. Buses, cars,etc and you could even hear some people shouting and whooping it up on the street 4 floors down!We decided to stay there because the guests around us seemed quiet and we could use our earplugs to block the street noise. The decor is clean and fairly up to date, the room was comfortable with a cozy bed and pillows. The complimentary breakfast was good with a decent selection, although part of the "breakfast room" was hot and stuffy, so it was unpleasant to eat in that part of the room. The breakfast room could also get a little crowded when there were numerous people but the food was in good supply and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The absolute worst thing about this hotel is the unbelievable amount of NOISE! I read several reviews about the hotel before I decided to stay there and I don't recall the noise issue coming up once, which astonishes me since everyone I talked to who was staying there also had the same complaint and I over heard more than one guest complaining at the front dest about revellers from sports teams staying at the hotel who'd been extremely rowdy until the wee hours. I could hear the person upstairs walking across the floor,going to the toilet, turning on taps. I could hear the doors of the other guests slam each time they were opened and closed and I heard the door lock engage each time. I could hear the people in the next room just speaking in their normal voices, and each time they opened anc closed dresser drawers we heard that too! I found the hotel really convenient in terms of walking to many attractions an to the seabus terminal. So you can see why it was such a study in contrasts. If they could just do something significant about the noise, then I'd stay there again and recommend it.

extremely noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member judogirl

This is a very old hotel, small rooms, and extremely thin walls. I felt like we were in New York based on the size of the room. The shower was the kind where it was level with the bathroom floor and the fixtures looked like it was ready to come off the walls. The guests in the other rooms were very rowdy (yelling, screaming, drinking) and it was very annoying when the couple next to us was having sex and their headboard was banging our wall in the middle of the night. We complained to the front desk but they jokingly just said to tell our neighbors to "shut up". Eventually they came up to knock on their door to tell them to keep the noise level down. Don't expect any views as the windows do not open out to anything. We didn't bother eating breakfast and it was inconvenient to valet park your car on the street. We parked our car in the lot across the street cause we didn't want to wait for the single valet guy to get our car. Plus, they have limited hours for valet (they close at 11pm). For the price we paid ($125/nite), we expected a better quality hotel. Next time, we will just pay more and stay at a nicer hotel.

Great Hotel for a Visit to Vancouver

by TripAdvisor Member OleVirginian

Three friends and I stayed here for one night prior to a cruise, and had a lovely experience The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the location was great for sightseeing and shopping, the rooms were very pleasant and clean (with windows that opened), and spacious bathrooms. I had no problems with noise at all. Breakfast was plentiful, but in a smallish room. I would definitely recommend the Ramada to anyone needing a hotel in downtown Vancouver.

Disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling_Ryders

Rooms were comfortable but the hotel is located in a rather "dodgy" area. We arrived late and decided to go out for a snack and found that the locals we bumped into were a bit "crazy" i.e. either talking to shop windows or pushing around shopping trollies. Also we had a leak in our bathroom ceiling at 3am one morning. The breakfast room was very small and crowded and it was a case of fighting for a seat, although they had a wide variety of food and drink to choose from. The best thing about the hotel is that it is located next door to "Yaggers", a bar that has great, friendly staff and serves fantastic food and drink - very welcoming after a long day travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer Train. We were glad to move onto our next location and we would probably chose an alternative hotel if ever staying in Vancouver again.

Best desk sevice ever

by TripAdvisor Member moneyexpert

The Ramada was given mixed reviews in this forum but we found the accommodation to be good and the staff excellent.
Beds were comfortable and air conditioning good even in the heat wave of July.
The best rooms are at the rear on the higher floors,which are away from street noise and give a fine view over the water to North Vancouver.
The reception area is good and comes with free internet.
The staff on the desk could't have been more helpfull, We couldn't fault any of the staff who gave advice on bars,restaurants,tourist activities and public transport together with maps and directions.
The hotel also safely stores your luggage for late departures and provides safe deposit boxes for free use.
The free breakfast was adequate the only fault being the breakfast room which was too small and in the hot basement.
For value for money this Hotel will be hard to beat in Vancouver being a block away from the shops of Gas Town and next door to a good bar. We found the White Spot Family Restaurant a few blocks away to be excellent for adults and children alike.

A great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member Makeupyourmind

I was booked into this hotel because it was close to my conference site in the Harbour Centre Building. A friend and I arrived four days before our conference to explore the city, and it couldn't have been a better location. I have to admit that I was a bit worried about the surrounding area (many homeless people and panhandlers, but that is true of almost any place in Vancouver). A hotel staff person assured us that they are harmless and that the the city social services take good care of these unfortunate folks. Anyway, there were a couple of other things that were great about the Ramada Limited besides its proximity to the harbour and its reasonable rates. The first and foremost is the excellent hotel staff. I have never met a more helpful and accommodating hotel staff. Everyone was great! In fact, the valet, Joel, was the best source on what to see and do and where to eat in Vancouver. They are all so excited about the city and really want to know how you are enjoying it. The second best thing was the area. It is in Gastown, site of many good restaurants (The Century Restaurant is fabulous!!! visit the restroom while you are there -it will make you smile), Chinatown, and the harbour where all the ginormous cruise ships anchor. Even if you are not a cruiser, you will be astonished by the immensity. Others have written about the great breakfast - well, it's ok. The staff is efficient and the food is good, but the breakfast room is small, close and hot at 8 a.m., so go at 6:30 or skip it. By the way, the free Internet is a plus. I would stay here again even if someone offered me the Crown Plaza up the street at the same price.

Avoid Ramada Limited Vancouver unless impossible

by TripAdvisor Member Celebconsult

This hotel is located a couple of blocks from Canada Place, so it has a prime location near the major cruise ship pier, convention center, restaurants and the beautiful hotels in downtown Vancouver.

HOWEVER, this hotel was built in 1929 and has had only superficial interior modernization. (See photo for building and neighborhood.)

The single elevator is small, there is NO restaurant (only a small, crowded, HOT room in the basement where "complimentary" continental breakfast is served), and their "Internet access" is limited to a single PC sitting on a small table in the hallway just off the lobby hotel desk.

The 6th floor is their so-called "concierge" level, with a few upgraded room amenities.

Their staff is pleasant, but not highly professional; recommendations of restaurants were geared mainly to the pub next door, which turns out to have common ownership. Parking is a couple of blocks away, which you must access personally if you want your car after the doorman's working hours.

Stay here ONLY as a last resort if you have/want to stay close to downtown and there are no other hotel rooms available. Had we known what this hotel was all about before we booked it, we never would have booked it. We were not familiar with downtown Vancouver and would have stayed further out of downtown had we known.

Friendly, clean and central

by TripAdvisor Member Jule.F

We booked into this hotel following a long journey from London to be told by the friendly guy on the front desk that we were being upgraded to the executive floor. What a good welcome this was to Canada. He was also very helpful in advising us where to go in the city and how to avoid the bad parts which we didn't have a problem with during our 2 day stay. Yes there were homeless prople around but it's the same in any large city and we never felt threatened. The room though not large was clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is in a good position to walk to sights such as Canada Place, the Harbour Lookout and Gastown.
As others have commented the breakfast room was very warm but the breakfast was good and set us up for a day of sightseeing. Would definately consider staying here again if visiting Vancouver.

Cheap but very cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member Lillybobs

We stayed here for our first night in Vancouver. Hotel staff very friendly and had good knowledge of places to see. Room although small was clean and quiet.

Great breakfast. Plenty of choice.

Would definately stay here again

Visiting Vancouver

by RichKong

I will be visiting Vancouver next month. If someone had stayed at Ramada Downtown before, I would appreciate accounts of your experience.

RE: Visiting Vancouver

by dcrose

I haven't stayed there but there are a number of reviews at:

RE: Visiting Vancouver

by yvr

You might also look at the Days Inn located on West Pender Street. The Ramada on Pender is nice, remake of an old hotel. Be aware that there are a few drug dealers on the corners near the hotel, but they do not seem to bother people. Also the Ramada on Granville, a remake of an old hotle, very nice, near the entertainment center, could get a bit noisey from the street late at night especially on weekends. Again check out the Days Inn on Pender it is in a quite area especially at night, close to the waterfront and to shopping.

yvr