Residence Inn Vancouver

Residence Inn by Marriott Vancouver Downtown
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Residence Inn Vancouver

Terrible sleepless experience here !

After a couple of hours researching the websites for a hotel in Vancouver,we were eventually led to this hotel believing we would have a good experience here.NOT THE CASE!!!
It was spring break for our children and we wanted to stay downtown ,close to the activities!
We specifically wanted a pool so that we could return to the hotel early evening to spend time there with our kids.
Around 6 o'clock,we heard this thumping noice from loud music.. ( just the BASS!!) It went on and on into the night,after several hours of unsucessfully tring to get to sleep ,I contacted the front desk, where I was informed this is an ongoing problem and they actually have filed a complaint to the city of Vancouver about this nightclub very close to the building that we were staying in.
I finally went downstairs and asked to be moved to a different room on the other side of the building.They did agree to do that( 1;30 AM!! now)In the morning,I contacted the manager and suggested to him that he make an adjustment on our bill,due to the terrible night we spent,which could have been avoided by placing our family in a different room from the start....why would they book a family over top a night club with ongoing problems when there were rooms available on the other side of the building,where we could have enjoyed the stay that we so carefully planned and paid for !?

Spectacular Service and Best View In Town!

by TripAdvisor Member seattlejeff

Stayed in room 3102 facing the mountains and West Vancouver. The room had floor to ceiling windows, a great bed, and excellent bathroom. My favorite part of the weekend was laying in bed at night staring out at the lights and the mountains!

Great front desk service. A four block walk to Robson street and great shopping.

Great location for Central Vancouver

by TripAdvisor Member GlobetrottersUK

We stayed here for two nights before heading off to Whistler. It is situated right in the centre of town, walking distance to shops and restaurants. Once again the breakfast selection at a Residence Inn was great, hot plate, cereals, pastries etc

Despite the hotel being on busy Hornby St I did not find it noisy at all, in fact quite the opposite for a central hotel. There is parking in the basement at $23CDN per night which I assume is comparable with other Vancouver hotels.

The rooms were fine. Clean and tidy with everything you need. We had a little living area with a sofa and desk and I think we were in a studio unit which was plenty big enough.

We were fortunate to secure the Government rate of $90CDN which was lucky as I understand that the hotel can charge far in excess of this for midweek stays.

If it is a place to rest your head and spend some time exploring Vancouver, you can’t go wrong.

Great place for families

by TripAdvisor Member hazelhazel

Vancouver is a magnificent city to drive into, as you enter this island of modern skyscrapers, as it's different from other big cities, as the skyscrapers don't touch each other. See it to believe it.

Our hotel was great. They moved us from the 5th to the 11th floor a view floor. Floor to ceiling windows; big room with two king beds, a "living area" with a big sofa, desk and TV console, and a kitchenette, with microwave, fridge, sink, range top, and all necessary supplies. The bathroom was spacious.

The breakfast buffet was fine every morning, with a whole bunch of fresh food, hot food, the works. The pool area was fine, with the big hot tub and pool. The pool could have been a touch warmer. There's also an exercise room.

The front desk staff was great, complete with maps, suggestions, and "hellos".

All in all, a great place to stay. We stayed with coupons, so I'm not sure what the rate would be, but out of 5 stars, this is a 4 star unpretentious hotel.

Awesome Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member PG_Coach

I recently stayed the Residence Inn for a conference hosted by the hotel. What can I say except that I was treated very well by all the staff, and that I really enjoyed my stay.

The front desk staff were exceptional. Check in time was minimal, and when I found no ethernet cord in the room, one was delivered to my room in record time.

The room was spacious, had a fridge, a stove, microwave, and even a dishwasher. Needless to say though, I didn't have to do the dishes as the chamber maids washed all glasses and even the coffee pot on a daily basis. The washroom was stocked with excellent soap and shampoos (Physique Hair Cair), which is important to me.

My room had a nice view down Davie St., and I wish it was higher as I would have been able to see the sunset on English Bay.

Close to the seawall if you like rollerblading (like I do), close to Davie for clubs (never had the chance to go), and close to Granville to catch buses to wherever (Which I did).

I am hoping to stay here again. It was excellent.

OK but not in very desirable location

by TripAdvisor Member Tommy129

My wife and I stayed here for two nights.

The hotel on the whole is acceptable and the staff are friendly. However it is located slightly off the main down town street and has a pair of rather dilapidated houses opposite, which are owned by the University. Needless to say, the students in there, (heaven knows how many live in there) party for half the night (or did on the occasion we were there).

Unfortunately Canadian and US hotels in down town locations do not know how to sound proof their windows adequately and noise through windows is a huge problem. It seems from previous reviews that if you have a room at the rear you have night club noise and rooms at the front, have traffic and student noise. Vancouver also seems to have a huge homeless problem and there are also some rather unsavoury looking characters walking the streets.

The rooms are a good size and very presentable. It seems the room maids don't like washing up by hand and put the dishwasher on for two cups and leave you a rather sarcastic note to tell you so. Not a very environmentally friendly way to wash up !! As strangers to the city, we found the hotel difficult to find with the one way systems and no left turns at certain times of the day. The underground car park is a reasonable size and secure.

The pool on the second floor is acceptable but the water is a little on the cool side. Breakfasts are complimentary and self serve, both hot and cold food and are adequate. The ground floor restaurant/bar is good value.

I don't think Vancouver as whole, is a place we will be rushing back to.

Nice mid-level hotel

by TripAdvisor Member arf68

I have stayed at this hotel many times, most recently for three nights in July. This hotel is a mid-level property--not fancy, but clean and decent. The room this time was like all the others: spacious and decently appointed. The kitchenette, complete with pots and dishes, is nice to have. The free breakfast buffet was good and offered nice choice. A high point of this hotel is the excellent and friendly staff. When we checked in, the lobby resembled a zoo as there were groups of guests checking in and out as a cruise ship had just arrived--probably the busiest time for hotels in Vancouver. Nevertheless, we were served very quickly and we were guaranteed our choice of room (we checked in quite early, but our request to have a room allocated so that we could just pick up the keycard for was accommodated, which is something that not all hotels will do). I was reminded on this stay that good staff make a huge difference in the overall experience.

The area around this hotel is good, contrary to another reviewer's comments. There is excellent access to restaurants of all kinds, and to the great outdoors that makes Vancouver so interesting. Yes, there are the usual big city issues (like in most big cities) and there are a number of homeless people around but the area is safe. I noticed no noise or partying from the two houses opposite, which have to my knowledge been unoccupied until recently.

The quietest rooms in the hotel are streetside; I have stayed alley-side and found the noise from the alley to be bothersome. Traffic noise on the street side is not an issue.

The Residence Inn is a good choice within its class, has nice rooms that are bigger than the norm, and is well located for most tourist activities.

Enjoyed our stay

by TripAdvisor Member 1Maggie

Several reviewers have commented on both the location and the noise at this hotel. Our stay last weekend, during the Vancouver Celebration of Light Festival, was suprisingly quiet. We were lucky enough to get a room on the 15th floor so I'm certain that helped.

The the hotel is located a short walk from the Vancouver Art Museum and downtown dining and shopping. The neighborhood is mixed commerical and residential and appears to be in the midst of redevelopment activities. While the streets four or five blocks east are a bit dicey this area seemed quite safe.

The complimentary breakfast is quiet extensive and their is a nice patio adjoining the breakfast room. We did not use the pool but it appeared to be well maintained and was on the same level as the patio and breakfast area.

Parking, located under the hotel was a bit pricey, CAN$19/night but convenient.

All in all a pleasant stay.

Excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member bdobba

Just back from the Marriot and we are well satisfied with our stay. Didn't suffer any noise problems, the staff were most helpful, breakfast was plentiful (though ended at 0930) and the room , at roughly twice the size of comparable hotel rooms, was fine. Only down-side was that the pool was the coldest indoor pool we've ever experienced; the kids didn't use it after their first experience.

A few tips:
1. There are vagrants on most city streets in Canada - we saw them in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto as well as many other parts of Vancouver - but for the most part they don't cause any problems.
2. The hotel is really convenient for eating-in and takeaway food outlets on Davie Street, just one block away. Internet cafes for $3 an hour are also on Davie though we found some on Robson for $2 an hour.
3. The 7 Eleven across the road sells public transit day passes ($8 adult, $6 under 12s) which can be used on all buses, skytrains and the seabus to North Vancouver. Much better value than the limited route tourist bus which stops outside the hotel. Take a bus downtown and a skytrain to Vancouver's biggest shopping mall, the huge Metrotown in Burnaby.
4. An alternative to the hotel car park, especially if you just want overnight parking, is on-street parking. Lower down Hornby Street (400 yards away) you can park free for two hours between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.; in practice this means you can legally park free from 4 p.m. one day until 11 a.m. next day.
5. It is walking distance to Granville Island (with shops and an excellent general and speciality market and food court) either across the nearby Howe Street bridge (next block to Hornby) or by water taxi (£2.50) from the bottom of Hornby Street.

The hotel isn't slap bang in the middle of downtown but is a comfortable walk (or short bus ride or embarrassingly short taxi ride) away from the biggest downtown shops for anyone who is moderately fit.

caution

by TripAdvisor Member aussie-too

Stayed at Marriot for 1 night end of August. This hotel is near the gay end of Vancouver . After booking in we relaxed on the sofa and to our disgust we found syringe covers in the back of the cushions We did not sit on any thing else that night and stripped the bed before sleeping onit

HEAVENLY SHADES OF PURPLEHEAVENLY SHADES OF PURPLE

Totem Poles - Stanley ParkTotem Poles - Stanley Park

UBCUBC

One of many gardens at UBCOne of many gardens at UBC

YVR airport to YWCA Hotel

by slyio76

Hi,

We will be travelling to Vancouver in Jan and would like to find out how I can get to YWCA hotel from the airport and return as well. Last time when I was there, I took the Charter Bus Lines airport transfer but seems like this is no longer in service.

I'll be 6 month pregnant at that time with my 2 years old girl, hence, I hope to find some similar airport transfer. Please kindly advise. Thanks in advance!

by YVRDave

There is now a subway from the airport to town from the airport. The closest stop is 1 block from the YWCA but, it requires a transfer at Waterfront station and you would get off at Stadium/Chinatown station. I am not sure if this is best for you. I guess if you feel up to it at the time you can make that decision. Taxi is the other option, about $40

Website for the train

by KernelPanic

Is this the new train, that can connect to downtown Vancouver? If so, this is very convenient for travelers. Also, for those visiting for the Winter games.

by yvr

You can take the Canada Line train from the airport to City Center Station. You will be within walking distance of the hotel without having to transfer and waste time. When you come out of the City Center station you will be facing Georgia Street. Turn right cross Granville and walk along Georgia to Beatty Street, it is a five block walk. Turn right along Beatty Street to the hotel. 733 Beatty Street. This will take less than 10/15 minutes to do.

by YVRDave

Pregnant with a 2 year old and luggage, that might as well be 2 miles.

by yvr

That might be true, but walking from the Canada Line at Waterfront to the Skytrain at Waterfront is no walk in the park, and then walking from Stadium Station to the Y is also no walk in the park.

by YVRDave

I do agree but it will be inside if its raining. I really think the taxi is the answer.

by slyio76

Thanks a lot for your replies! I think most likely we will take the taxi instead. It's a bit too far to walk with my girl and luggages and we will be arriving at night too. Why do they drop the coach transfer just because there's Skytrain from airport now...

by leanneedwards

It was a contract problem with YVR (airport) and the company!!

by yvr

Because you don't need both serving the airport. Why would one pay 12 or 13 dollars to ride an old junky bus to downtown when you can ride a comfortable train for a couple of dollars? and why would one pay 30 dollars to ride in a cab? Take the train and if you can't walk a few blocks get a cab from the city center station.

by dimmuborgir

Take the 'Canada Line Skytrain' directly from the airport to the Yaletown/Roadhouse stop. Takes less than 20 minutes. Then hail a cab, or call one. Ride will be less than $10.00

Comments