Riviera Hotel

1431 Robson St., Vancouver, British Columbia, V6G 1C1, Canada
Riviera on Robson Suites Hotel Downtown Vancouver
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Vancouver

Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C.Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C.

YVR Art,Vancouver,British Columbia,Canada.YVR Art,Vancouver,British Columbia,Canada.

Granville IslandGranville Island

Raven and the First ManRaven and the First Man

Vancouver in the top 10 best beach cities in the world

by SfumatoPants

Vancouver comes in at 10th place, in the top 10, in Nat Geos Top 10 Beach Cities survey.

Vancouver is an excellent summer city and despite all the other complaints I have about the place, I can support this one. The one thing the city needs to allow the parks board to do is to set up beer gardens along the seawall.

What do you think could be done to improve the beach scene? What is your favorite beach (in the region)? I personally like the forestry service recreation site at the north end of Chehalis lake.

Re: Vancouver in the top 10 best beach cities in the world

by yvr

More police on the scene, and we certainly don't need beer gardens along the seawall. The seawall is a family event and it is not necessary to encourge the drunks and rowdy's to create more problems than they already do during events at the beach. Since I live near the seawall and you don't, you really have no idea of the problems this would create.

Re: Vancouver in the top 10 best beach cities in the world

by SfumatoPants

LOL. Fallacy of presumption.

Travel Tips for Vancouver

Vancouver Recital Society.

by mwe

The VRS is one of the most significant cultural contributions to Vancouver. Founded by its artistic director, South African, Ms Leila Getz in 1989.
This picture of Leila & fabulous & I'm a keen photographer & a very visual person.
Obviously it's black & white, taken in an era when colour is the norm.
The simpllicity of this B&W picture is enhanced by Leila, a white African lady, paying homage to the overwhelming & considerable artisitic & cultural contribution to the global village by black African women by dressing in black. Leila in a colour photo is probably not as white as a black & white photo of her.
Leila is a lady who you'd complement on her choice of earrings if you were lucky enough to meet her. But Leila has omitted earrings for this beautifully minimalist picture.
Leila's lovely healthy head of thick, cropped hair is coloured blondy-white to contribute to the white component of this stunningly black & white picture.
The sensational b&w polo-neck matches the b&w background. Leila's lips are strangely red in this b&w picture & her eyes come out vibrant & colourful.

I attempted to colour the second picture of Leila, as she clearly wore a bronze or gold blouse & impressive, but not outrageous bronze or gold earrings in a black & white picture. Photoshop attempted & failed to find you out, Leila! ...Perhaps the most colourful b&w picture ever? Although not a native of Vancouver, Ms Getz's contribution to Vancouver life cannot be overstated. She is clearly one of the best things ever to happen to Vancouver & is a woman whose success & influence is prominent in a very liberal & feministic part of North America.

I've never met Ms Getz, but if I made a top ten of my ideal women, she'd be very close to the top. I love artistic, cultured, intellectual women & Ms Getz ticks these boxes & has lovely hair, eyes, facial features & ticks all physical attraction boxes.

Leila, there's definitely something about women who like Shostakovich. One of my most memorable dates was with such a lady & I think you may be such a lady.

Same steam, same gas...

by mht_in_la

I browsed through VT's Gastown pages and the famous Steam Clock is shown in 8 out of 10 photos. Many of them are from the exact same angle as mine. By adding my own page, I wonder if I can add anything new, photo or words, to such a tourist obligation.

Anyway, for my own completeness, here it goes. I visited Gastown early Sunday morning at 7:40am (according to my own steam clock photo). Streets were still empty, and the waitresses from the coffee bar next door just began to set up tables at sidewalk. No night life or fancy shops for me. I guess this is the kind of place that you have to stay long to sink into... Being in Gastown early in the morning, I didn't have to wait for tourists to clear my Steam Clock shot. The photo shows Steam Clock and Harbour Centre (the tall building behind).

Go visit Mama in White...

by somewhere

Go visit Mama in White Rock!!!! I went to visit my great-uncle and his wife in White Rock, and they brought us to this fish 'n' chips place owned by Mama (the little chinese woman between my great-aunt and me). My great-uncle had told us that it was worth going just for the show. And it is. Mama is full of energy. As we were sitting down, she came out and pointed to each of us saying 'Halibut, Halibut, Halibut, Clam Chowder' with a chinese accent. She had just ordered for us. After she brought us our food, she brought us coffee (apparently, she had decided we were all drinking coffee) and was very generous on the refills. So much so, that when Dominique put her hand over the cup to 'cause she had had more than enough caffeine, Mama pushed her hand aside and gave here more!!!! She was a truly delightful woman!!!!

Neighbourhoods

by ct-bound

Kitsilano, Point Grey and the west end are all upscale, trendy places (all west of Cambie street). Nice to live and play. Generally avoid east Van (anything east of Cambie Street).

Specific ethnic neighbourhoods include:

Little Italy: Commercial Drive, OR East Hastings street in Burnaby between Boundary and Williingdon).

Little India: Main Street between 49th and 51st (also worth mention, a Persian grocer here too - buy a box of fresh dates, yummy!), OR much of Scott Road in Surrey.

Chinatown: Downtown, bordered by Venables (S), Pender (N), Abbott (W) and the street running 2 blocks east of Main (don't remember the name) (E).

High greek population on W. Broadway between MacDonald and Alma.

Vietnam'town' runs along Kingsway from around Main all the way to Joyce, but in general this area is considered a bit run-down (rough).

Upper lonsdale in North Van: High Persian population

Downtown East Side: Hastings (S), the docks (N), Granville (W), Commercial Dr. (E). Avoid this area entirely. Drug addict/homeless/mentally unstable people's 'area'. This includes Gastown, which is pretty much a tourist trap anyways.

Shaughnessy/Kerrisdale: Arbutus around W. 41st, where the very rich go to shop and have tea. - Check out the 'Secret Garden' tea shoppe. Affordable and every little girl's dream tea party. In general, even Vancouver's 'worst' neighbourhoods (downtown East Side), don't even come close to any of the inner cities of the USA. You will be harassed in Vancouver's 'bad' areas (or possibly vomited on by a drunk), but you will not be knifed, shot, or mugged.

Stanley Park

by RickL

Living close to downtown is an important part of enjoying la vida Vancouver.
"Downtown" is actually a mix of various ressidential and commercial regions that varied and distinct. It's surrounded by beaches, parks and water views that make it one of the prettiest cities in the world... that's according to UN reports and not just me! Water view from the 52nd floor of the Sheraton Landmark Hotel.

Comments