Sandman Downtown Vancouver

Satisfaction Average

Costs 25% more and rated 18% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Decent downtown hotel

Nothing fancy and a little out of the way unless you are attending an event at BC Place nonetheless, this was a decent if not outstanding hotel.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

A short walk into town, Canada Place

The room was very comfortable it was close to the centre of Vancouver.
    The swimming pool fitness area was being renovated so that must be finished by now.
    Building work was going on when I was there so no swimming for me.
    Bed was comfy room was clean, close to town.
    Plenty of room.

Unique Quality: I walked everywhere around Vancouver and was happy with the location its not far from Chinatown. Five no more than ten minutes walk to Gas Street.
    I watched the fireworks at Canada Place on Canada Day and walked back to the hotel in minutes. Its walk or take a taxi! Its not far.
    I never used public transport when in Vancouver.

• Great price and great location

We stayed for 4 nights at the Sandman Downtown. It is an extremely central hotel and it is very well kept. Staff were very helpful and there is a multitude of dining options right on the hotel property. There are 2 restaurants and 1 bar/lounge. For the sports fanatics, you are right up the road from the stadium and for the shopping fanatics, you are down the road and over one street from Robson St. which is a major shopping area in downtown Vancouver.

• Webboy's Profile Photo

Sandman Hotel

The Sandman Hotel was a very enjoyable relaxing places to stay after a fortnight crossing Canada - however, of all the places we stayed, it was the only place we had any hassle booking in ....... and it was the one place we were not expecting it to happen due to the cost!!

We turned up to find our booking had been entered into their system wrongly, which meant having to re-book.

However, after finding out it was the last place we were staying on our Honeymoon, they upgraded us to a much bigger room - for the same price! Nice one!!!

The room was beautiful! Massive king size bed, sofa, Ok view, and a very very large TV!!!

The Sandman hotel is only a 5 minute taxi ride from Pacific Central Station, and only a 5 - 10 minute walk from the very centre of Downtown.

We stayed at the sandmand hotel for 4 nights at a total of $654.30. Not the cheapest of places, but we thought we deserved some luxury - it was a honeymoon afterall!!!

Unique Quality: There were a few things that struck me about this hotel:

1) Security - everything required a swipe card. You even had to swipe your room card in the elevator to prove you had a room before the elevator would move. I liked this!

2) Pool and Hot tub - Very relaxing. Pool was quite cool and the hot tub was very hot! We used the pool and hot tub every night. Its free to guests, and also requires a swipe of your room key before you are allowed to enter.

Directions: Just 5 minutes in a Taxi from Pacific Central Station and only a 5-10 minute walk from the centre of Downtown

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Mr Sandman send me to sleep....

The Sandman Hotel is the launching pad for many tour groups from Vancouver including the tour I did.

The Sandman has decent rooms and a great bar downstairs which rocks on Fridays and Saturdays. The fact they didn't pump it up on a Wednesday night when all was quiet except for our tour group did not destroy the night.

Location next to the Stadiums was perfect.

Unique Quality: The pool and spa on the 4th floor were a great diversion to relax in. It's other peoples loss that they did not feel the urge to take advantage of these amenities.

The lifts are unfortunately a downfall of the building. There are insufficient lifts for such a busy short stay hotel. With so many overnight stays and tour groups it means there are always people checking in and out increasing the traffic flow.

Directions: Towards the Gastown side of Downtown just a few blocks away from Granville and Robson St.

More about Sandman Downtown Vancouver

Great Hotel in Vancouver-I highly recommed it!

We stayed at the sandman hotel downtown vancouver, and in all my travels, i have never had such a great experience at a hotel! The room was clean, and facilities were great. I requested an extra blanket to be brought to the room, and with in about 10 minutes it was delivered. Even though they were extremly busy-maybe full, but not too sure-the staff did great, keeping their cool and hleping out. Although I was not too happy about paying 10.00 per night for parking, overall the stay was great. i will definatly be returning to the Sandman in Vancouver (by bc place) for a long time to come!

BED BUGS !!

by TripAdvisor Member Tanner6604

Booked this hotel originally for it's location close to the stadium for the Rolling Stones Concert. Got in on the Friday night (concert was Saturday night), stayed the night. Next day, went out and about, got back to the hotel to relax before the concert, pulled back the covers on the bed (maid had been in to make up the beds) and noticed a bug on my pillow. IT WAS A BEDBUG!!

I called the front desk who sent up the head housekeeper and another staff member. We had put the bed bug in a cup to show her, she grabbed the cup, wiggled it around, and dumped the bed bug out onto the carpet!!! She then tried to leave, I told her that I had seen stories on Bed Bugs and she needed to look behind the bed board, and the pictures....hesitating, she removed the headboard, and there were about 10 more bed bugs there!! They both kinda just looked at each other, and left.

After they were gone, we pulled off the other headboard, and bed bugs behind there also.

We were horrified, we called down to talk to the manager, both the manager and the assistant manager came up, and acted as if they had never dealt with this before. I was itching all over, my husband had bites on his wrists which we can only attribute to the bed bugs. We then had to have all our luggage bagged, ( as you do not want to bring the bugs home with you!!!) and sprayed with insect spray, including ourselves being sprayed!!!

Needless to say, I was not staying there another night. They offered us another room, but we declined to stay in the hotel another night. The hotel manager offered us to sit in the room next door while they tried to find us accomodations for the night (keep in mind this was the night of the Rolling Stones concert, so hotels were hard to come by). We went into the room, immediately took the headboard off and BEDBUGS!!

After a couple hours of waiting, itching, freaking out....they found us another hotel right across town 25 minute walk from the concert!! The hotel manager offered us Moxie's gift certificates for the inconvenience in the amount of $40.00. There were 4 of us, and I don't know where 4 people can eat for $40.00 these days. I asked for more, finally he gave us $100. We were advised before we left that we would not be charged for the Friday night we stayed, and that we needed to call the "CEO" on Monday and they were sure being reimbursed for the "new" hotel would not be a problem... along with paying for the drycleaning of all our clothes.
When we finally got to our "new" hotel, it was about 1.5 hrs from concert time. No time to eat, no clothes to change into, smelling like bug spray.

I called on Monday, the lady I spoke to was rude, accusing, spoke to me in a descending tone the entire time. Told us we had been compensated..... with free parking (for the night with the bed bugs), not having to pay for the Friday night at their hotel (staying with bed bugs..thanks!!), and the Moxie's gift certificates.

I advised her that I did not feel the same about that, that wearing the same clothes for 3 days, smelling like bug spray, having bites, moving hotels, not being able to eat before the concert, having to walk 25 minutes in the rain and snow to get back to our "new" hotel, having all our clothes bagged and sprayed....

Needless to say, she still was still treating us like we had done something wrong. I finally was able to drag out of her the number for her supervisor, who finally reimbursed my credit card for the night at the "new" hotel, and $50.00 for 4 persons luggage to be drycleaned.

DO not stay at the Sandman Downtown Vancouver, Unless you wanted to treated poorly, and have bed bugs in your room!!

P.S. I took pictures of the bedbugs also!!

OK Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kBloke

Hotel in a good location, you can walk to most areas from here. Some rooms are very small. Hotel recently refurbished and were clean (we saw two rooms as the first was way too small, we asked for a larger one and got one, no problem). Personally I found the on-site restaurant over priced and the breakfast menu was a little limited. We didn't visit the bar.

If/when you check in ask for a corner, King Bed room.

Generally OK, I would stay here again.

Avoid

Poor services. No decent facility to boil water to have a hot cup of tea.
Took 3 calls and 1hr to get a kettle sent up to room.
2 lifts inadequate for the whole hotel with so many tour groups using it.
When you checkout get a written statement from the hotel to state that you do not owe any money to the hotel upon checking out.
My Visa card was charged a sum 2 weeks after I returned to Australia.
Received an apology and refund after I have contacted them.
Then 2 weeks later the Hotel charged my Visa again for a sum that I do not owe them. Their excuse was that I have not paid for one night.
My accommodation were prepaid by my travel package in Australia, plus why didn't ask for payment when I checkout at the Front desk on that day.
When I return the key all they said was ' that's fine'.
So Beware my travelling friends.
I am still waiting for the outcome of the dispute.

Sandman Hotel, Vancouver.Sandman Hotel, Vancouver.

Hotels close to GM Place

by kiklar

Hi there, I am planning on going to Vancouver August 22/23 for a concert with my boyfriend. I am looking for a nice hotel, near GM place, with maybe some nice restaraunts around. Hopefully not too expensive... Thanks alot in advance :)

by bminorca

GM Place is on the southeast corner of downtown Vancouver. There are lots of hotels and restaraunts in downtown. For example, Sandman hotel is close. Four seasons hotel is one skytrain station away.

by yvr

You may have a real problem with hotels in August. It is cruise season and hotels are expensive. You might try the following hotels which are within walking distance to GM Place. Ramada on Pender St, Days Inn on Pender St, Victorian Hotel on Homer, this is sort of a B&B, some rooms with shared bath. The Sandman as noted above by another poster. YWCA on Beatty, very close to GM Place, a little farther way but an easy walk, Ramada at Granville near Davie or the Best Western on Drake just off Granville, the Comfort Inn on the Corner of Nelson and Granville. You may some listing for hotels in Gastown, do not under any circumstances stay in Gastown, it is on the edge of the drug infested eastside of downtown.

by ltt

we stayed at the sandman right by gm place. not bad price wise considering the location. there is a restaurant in the lobby and you can walk to the boats that will take you to granville island. also close to the subway system.

by kubowsky

You should check for Sandman hotel close to GM Place. Not a bad hotel. Nippon restaurant serves nice japanesee food and its not too expensive. Its pretty well known asian restaurant and only 5 min walk from Sandman hotel.

by kubowsky

Four Season hotel might be a bit expensive then Sandman

by kaorichan

GM place is of walking distance from anywhere downtown, plus its easily accessible by bus, cab, skytrain. So you have TONS of options! Stay away from GASTOWN, its famous for the brickroads and souvenier shops but hotels around there are not so great. Try to also stay away from hotels or motels around South Downtown.Try to find a hotel on Robson street, this is the main restaurant and shopping street. You'll find cheaper ones more West of this street. If you find a hotel, email me and I'll tell you if its good or not!

Comments