Mt H'Kusam View Lodge

More about Vancouver Island

Along the Water north of NanaimoAlong the Water north of Nanaimo

Along Stuart Channel North of NanaimoAlong Stuart Channel North of Nanaimo

Beside Shawnigan LakeBeside Shawnigan Lake

Much of Route isn't that Scenic Any MoreMuch of Route isn't that Scenic Any More

Anyone stayed in Sointula on Malcolm Island?

by Muffyrabbit

Hi, We have planned to stay in Sointula on Malcolm island for a few days in August. I cant find any reviews about the place we have chosen and am beginning to get cold feet, particularly as we are taking a guest with us. Has anyone stayed at Rainbeaus End? or can anyone recommend a good place to stay on the island?
Many thanks

Re: Anyone stayed in Sointula on Malcolm Island?

by SfumatoPants

The island is very small, and as far as I know there are only a few B&Bs and cottage style hotels and a house or two to rent. If you find that you don't like where you have booked try another place, or go to Port Hardy or Campbell River.

I don't think you can go very wrong though, as long as you enjoy slow island life.

Travel Tips for Vancouver Island

Be sure to visit again!

by Camping_Girl

As I've already said, I found the laid-back attitude on the Island to be most enjoyable. The locals refer to it as "Island Time".

Whatever you call it, I know I can't wait to get back to enjoy it again! I found my time here to be very relaxing.

This photo was taken from the ferry as we left Nanaimo and Departure Bay. It was a bit of a let down, to see this part of our vacation come to an end. I was also sad to have to say good bye to my cousins, but I don't intend to let so many years go by before I come back for a visit next time! I would have to say that I have several fondest memories of the Island.

1. Seeing my cousins, Greg and Tom, after so many years, and reminiscing with them about our childhood, our relatives and the many family get togethers that we used to have.

2. Seeing a star fish for the first time

3. Coombs, and the silver bracelet I bought there.

4. Walking along the beach in Qualicum. It was red tide, so we couldn't clam, but the kids walked along the beach and rubbed their foot over the pockets in the sand where we could see that there were clams. We laughed and laughed about the way the water shot up out of the sand as the clams scurried further down to avoid being caught.

5. The drive up the coast to Fanny Bay.

6. The relaxing atmosphere.

7. Gabriola Island & a day spent on the water fishing.

Visitor's Choice Guides

by canuckmike

All around the island you can find these Visitor's Choice Guides. These guides are regional to the places on the island and they are free. They are around 50 pages thick, in colour, made of good quality paper, have detailed maps, are produced yearly and so on. Since it is a locally produced guide and there are advertisements in there it is obviously biased. Unfortunately there is not to much for the shoestringer but does give a good ideas for the local areas.

VANCOUVER ISLAND

by LoriPori

Hans and I arrived by Ferry to Vancouver Island. Places we visited were Victoria then north on Highway 1 to Cowichan Bay, Duncan, Chemainus, then west on Highway 4 to Port Alberni and Tofino. We then backtracked to Parksville and Nanaimo where we took the Ferry back to the mainland. Although we only explored the southern half of Vancouver Island, what we saw and experienced was just fantastic.

Blue skies, forrests, and beaches

by MargotB

The highlights are the Empress Hotel in VIctoria, and the scenic harbour; Shopping in Nanaimo, which has more malls per population than anywhere in the world; Salmon fishing in Tahsis, an inlet on the west coast of Vancouver Island; the beautiful beaches and waterfront in Nanaimo, Parksville and Qualicum, as well as in Victoria; unequalled landscape photo opportunities up-island. When I'm away, what I miss most are the trees and the proximity to the ocean.

Quadra Island

by toonsarah

Quadra is one of the Discovery Islands which lie in the waters of the Discovery Passage between mainland British Columbia and Vancouver Island. You can get here by the regular ferry service from Campbell River. There are three villages: Quathiaski Cove (where the ferries arrive and depart), Heriot Bay, and Cape Mudge. The latter, at the south end of the island, is home to the Wei-Wai-Kai band of the Kwagiulth First Nation.

This a good place to come if you’re looking for peace and quiet on beautiful beaches, or if you’re interested in art and crafts, especially First Nation (native) art and totem poles. Quite a few of the resident painters, potters, and carvers open their studios and galleries to the public and welcome visitors.

We particularly liked Wa Wa Kie Beach on the south east coast, and Rebecca Spit near Heriot Bay.

Comments