Coast Harbourside Hotel And Marina

Coast Victoria Har Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• glabah's Profile Photo

Nice Place to Stay near Waterfront

Naturally, when looking at a place to stay for two nights in Victoria, I decided I wanted the best hotel I could get at the cheapest price I could find. Not knowing Victoria at all, I decided to book the hotel and Victoria Clipper package at the same time. This does give a little bit of a discount over the prices that the hotels would normally charge their walk-up customers.

Many of the hotels that are possible to book through the Victoria Clipper are quite expensive. Sure, they are really nice hotels, but for me, all I really want is a bed, a shower, and to be reasonably close to the attractions I want to visit. It's also kind of nice to have internet access of some sort, but not really that vital. I don't need a huge, complicated meal, or a weight room, or a conference center, or even complicated items from room service. It is nice to stay in a place that has a decent view, however.

The Coast Harbourside is not the cheapest hotel on the Clipper web site that is available for booking with the packages. However, it is one of the less expensive ones. The cheapest hotel you can book through Victoria Clipper is the James Bay Inn, which appears to be a good hotel but when I looked at it it appeared to be further away from the Victoria Clipper ferry terminal than the Coast Harborside, and I wanted something I could walk to quickly if I needed to do so.

Also, the Coast Harbourside appeared to be the cheapest hotel offered on the Victoria Clipper web site that had the chance of having a view. I should have known better than to suspect a budget priced room would have a view out over the water, but it did offer a view south over the street to the Olympic Mountains. However, I needn't have worried about the view, since both nights I was there I arrived late enough at night I didn't really have a chance to look out the window.

Check-in procedures were very easy: I presented by lodging certificate from Victoria Clipper to the hotel management, and they told me the room was ready, even though I arrived at the hotel fairly early in the day (maybe about 10:45 or 11 in the morning). The lady behind the counter told me that this time of year, especially mid-week (I checked in on December 7) the hotel rooms tend to be ready very early in the day, because they simply don't have large numbers of guests.

While I was checking in, I heard someone tell one of the other guests that the price for parking a vehicle in the hotel lot overnight is an additional C$11.90 per night.

After checking in, I asked about making some change. They said the hotel front desk would have no problem changing at least a little American money into Canadian cash, and were willing to give me the $5 Canadian I would need for bus fare to get up to the Butchart Garden and back - which was the only real need I had for Canadian cash on the trip.

I then went up to my room to leave off my stuff - which was my primary reason for coming to the hotel directly from the boat - I didn't want to carry a bunch of heavy stuff around town.

After a short noon nap and getting everything I could out of my backpack, I decided it was time to explore the town and head for the Christmas Lights at the Butchart Garden.

Upon return to the room, I looked at the time the restaurant was open on the sign next to the front desk. That particular sign says the restaurant opens at 7:00. I wanted to be leaving the hotel about then, in order to get to the train station. I found a room service card in the room, and it said that breakfast could be ready by room service starting in time segments that could be marked off. The earliest tiime available was 6:45 to 7. I decided to mark that segment, and put a note on the card that I would be ready for breakfast starting as 6:30, if it was convenient for them to bring it any earlier than 6:45. I then stuck the card on the outside doorknob, as instructed on the card (it must be out there by 2 in the morning for them be able to schedule breakfast that way). And thus I ordered a room service meal for the first time ever.

I was ready by 6:25 the next morning, and decided to sit down and read a little bit. Breakfast arrived at 6:38, which wasn't quite as early as I had hoped but was much earlier than if I had waited until 7 for the restaurant to open (as it turns out, the restaurant actually opens at 6:30, based on the information on the entrance to the restaurant, so I could have done that too if I had only known!). By a little after 7 I was out the door, pretty close to just as I had hoped. It wasn't that much food for the price charged, but at least it was food, and was early enough in the morning that I wouldn't have to find something before getting on the train.

The next night was fairly similar, other than I decided I would explore the town rather than use the room service. After all, the reason to travel is to explore is it not? At this point I should also point out that the hotel does not seem to have wireless internet access in the rooms, but instead provides its own network cable to the socket on the wall by the desk. I wish that more hotels with weak WiFi signals would do it that way! And I didn't even need to bring a network cable with me to use it!

On the second morning I checked out before leaving the hotel, but was able to have my luggage put into storage so that I could pick it up when returning to the Victoria Clipper in the afternoon. After all, once again: why carry a bunch of heavy stuff around with you if you don't have to?

My last visit to the Coast Harbourside was to collect my things in the afternoon, and I found the staff to be quickly and easily available to take care of that transaction as well, and was even offered a free van trip to the Clipper if I wanted to do it that way. I decided against that since it really isn't that far a walk between the two, and though my luggage was heavy I only had a backpack.

Don't get me wrong: this was a wonderful place to stay and I am glad that I did stay here. However, it is a bit much in terms of what I need for my very simple travel methods. Besides, in the middle of winter, it should be possible to find some really good deals, even without booking hotels through the Victoria Clipper. I was able to find one or two such hotels, and unfortunately for my next trip I will probably not be back in this hotel, simply because the time of year I am likely to visit means better deals at two other nearby hotels.

Unique Quality: Features bulk containers for shampoo and body wash in the shower, so that staying here doesn't present one with a whole pile of small disposable containers. , Oddly hand soap is not one of the substances that is available in the bathrooms by bulk container - that comes in regular circular waxed paper packages.

Many of the rooms here seem like they would be spectacular in terms of the views available. Even my street-facing room #501 had just a little bit of an Olympic Mountains view to the south. Further up would have better view, and actual harbor side rooms could probably have a very attractive view, even at night with the habour lights reflecting off the water.

There is a marina here, and it is possible to arrive by your own boat - but coming in from the USA by boat probably introduces a few logistical problems due to customs and border patrol.

There is a swimming pool, with a plastic door that separates this same pool into indoor and outdoor areas, and can be raised up to provide a larger pool.

Free van service to various destinations in the downtown area.

Has staircase that connects hotel entrance to Harbourside paved walkway that runs between the ferry terminals area and Fisherman's Warf Park.

Directions: Their van pickup service is free - if you are too far away to walk, call them to have them come get you! Bus service nearby, but infrequent. Belleville St. -> Quebec St. -> Montreal St. -> Kingston St.

• Excellent Hotel

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The entire staff from the front desk to the servers in the restaurants were exceptional. They seemed to like their work and like the place they were working. They were as helpful as any tourist office, they gave tips and hints and made great suggestions.
    The rooms were typical hotel quality, clean and well kept. The harbour view was outstanding. You could sit on the balcony all day sipping on your favourite beverage watching the boats and planes and other watercraft plying the basin.
    The Blue Crab restaurant in the hotel is one of the finest seafood restaurants I have ever eaten. the food was excellent and the presentation was superb. It seems the Chef and some of his staff had just recently won several medals at an international cuisine competition in London England.
    I highly recommend this hotel for any stay in Victoria.

Unique Quality: Harbour views. Blue Crab restaurant.

More about Coast Harbourside Hotel And Marina

Very Happy With The Coast Harbourside Victoria

by TripAdvisor Member CosmoKitty24

We recently stayed at the Coast Harbourside Victoria and were very pleased with the hotel. The Coast is located on the edge of the inner harbor which was nice as it was not nearly as busy as some of the hotels closer to the inner harbor. We had a harbor view room and enjoyed watching the boats in the marina and the seaplanes landing and taking off directly infront of the hotel. One note the seaplane runway is directly infront of the hotel and they land and take off every 5-10 minutes, so if you are senstive to noise don't get a harbor view room as the noise from the planes may disturb you. We booked on-line at the Coast Hotels website and got a great rate, we found the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly. Food at the hotel was very good as well. One benefit of staying at the Coast is there is a Harbor Ferry stop right at the dock in front of the hotel which was a nice option for getting to and from downtown when your are tired from the days activities. We would stay at this hotel again.

You'll Wake Early, Whether You Want To or Not

On our recent trip, there were three of us traveling to Victoria, and hence we booked two separate rooms at the Coast Victoria Harbourside through Orbitz. Though check-in is supposed to be at 3:00pm, when we arrived at 2:57pm, they were unable to find two rooms on the same floor that were ready and told us to come back later. They also asked us if we would like to pay an extra $20 (over and above the $140.02US we were already paying) to be placed on a higher floor (we declined). They did offer to store our luggage, but then only took the two carry-ons and left us with all of our backpacks and laptop. They did not give us a receipt or tag so we could be sure to get the luggage back, and shrugged us off when we mentioned that we would like to have something along those lines.

When we returned about an hour-and-a-half later, the rooms (#419 and #421) were ready. Both rooms were clean and spacious. Each had a mini-fridge and a coffee maker, and the coffee-packets provided were from Torrefazione -- much tastier than what is normally provided in a hotel room. Street noise was minimal. We slept uneventfully until somewhere around 5:30am, when we were awakened by what seemed to be a lovesick moose bleating in the ceiling above us. Over the next few hours, we were repeatedly jolted awake by the sound -- apparently, our rooms were next to a plumbing stack and anytime someone above or near us took a shower, the pipes would vibrate in a way that caused them to make this ungodly noise.

The hotel did not appear to be full (based on the number of people we saw in the elevators/hallway/public areas/parking garage), so I am not sure why they stuck us in those particular rooms. Based on others' reviews, not all of the rooms have this problem (or surely they would have mentioned it), so if you must stay here, specifically request rooms that are not near the plumbing stacks. Personally, I will not be staying there again. We stayed at the Marriott on our previous trip and it was delightful. I wish we had stuck with that.

Not worth the price

We booked a harbour view room the first week of September. The room was definitely not the 4.5 star rating that I had read on other websites. It was drab, dark, and small.

The walk to downtown is nice. It only takes 15 minutes or they can drive you.

We ate at the restaurant (Blue Crab). It was average. Stay away from the seafood chowder, it was too fishy. They do have good breakfast.

Overall, our stay was average to below average. I would never stay at this hotel again if we go back to Victoria. It is definitely not worth the high price.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member Clubberer

We had an really great stay there. The room was clean ans new furnished. Our small balcony was on the side of the hotel, although you could see a big part of the inner harbour. The staff was very friendly. The pool was good. The restaurant was fantastic. May bee we had luck with our room. But all we saw we can strongly recommend this hotel.

Nice Hotel

Positives
- good location as inbetween fishermans wharf and downtown can walk to either
- a little far from downtown but they have a shuttle if you don't want to walk
- rooms first rate facilities, modern and clean

Negatives
- not in the heart of downtown

Everything was great!

by TripAdvisor Member BillBen

Spent two days here recently. We live on Vancouver Island, so have stayed in a few hotels in Victoria, but this hotel was far superior to others we have been in. We had a corner room, great views and the room was very clean. Nice decorating too. The location is quiet, and you can take a lovely walk around the harbour from outside the doors. The food in Blue Crab was marvelous. We have found that usually the breakfasts in hotels in this area are outrageously priced for what you get - this hotel offered lots of excellent options at reasonable prices, and even our minimal breakfasts were very nicely presented. Supper was terrific - and the desserts were wonderful. This will be the hotel we choose to stay in from now on - I am tired of going from place to place and being disappointed. This hotel offers reasonable prices, friendly staff, nice clean accomodations, a great location.

A wonderful start to my vacation

by TripAdvisor Member paige_eliz

I spent three nights at the Coast Harbourside, and it was a wonderful start to my vacation. The room I stayed in on the fifth floor was quite spacious, with a very large, clean bathroom. The hotel staff were helpful and had answers to all of my questions; the best part was the free downtown shuttle, which does dropoffs and pickups for any hotel guest. This was much appreciated, as I was travelling by myself, and without a car.

Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina

by tugs25

We have reservations next month at Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina (146 Kingston St). After making the reservation, checked AAA for their rating, which was, per hotel folks, 4.5 diamonds. This hotel is not even listed with AAA, so we assume it is not an approved property! Very curious as to why no listing. We would greatly appreciate comments from anyone that has information on this hotel. THANKS!

Re: Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina

by YVRDave

It's a fine hotel. Don't forget it is a foreign country and AAA doesn't always check all foreign hotels.

Re: Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel & Marina

by Redlats

Nothing to do with foreign hotels, just to do with cash. If the hotel doesn't pay they don't get a CAA/AAA listing. Some hotels make the financial choice not to pay AAA costs and so they are not listed.

Comments