Dashwood Manor

One Cook Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8V 3W6, Canada
Dashwood Manor Seaside Bed and Breakfast Inn
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Dashwood Manor

Left feeling a little dashed by the Dashwood.

by TripAdvisor Member Ziptrekker

We booked the Dorset room for a short stay during our trip to Vancouver Island (2 nights at the beinning and one at the end). Arriving at the Dashwood at 3.40pm, we were told by the lady of the house (Sharon) that we were early as they don't check guests in until 4.00. Well sorry, but we couldn't ask the ferry and taxi to go any slower!! I realise there are rules, but her reaction seemed a little over zealous and aggressive.

Feeling lucky to be let in to the room at all, we were somewhat disappointed with the room, which while okay was a little dated, dull, and unwelcoming. The bathroom also left something to be desired, again dull and with a cracked wooden panel screwed to the wall where I guess the crawl space was, it upped the shabby aspect.

The view from the balcony was good, but the balcony itself dirty, and after a greeting like we had we weren't exactly in the best of moods.

When we later met Dave, the owner, he was pleasant enough, and we decided to eased up a little on our original decision to cancel our return night, as we didn't really want to lose the money we had paid.

Breakfast at the Dashwood was good on all days we stayed there, and Rev who was covering for Dave and Sharon on the return was a better host than either of the owners - friendly, chatty and interested in us.

The area is lovely, and the park an ideal stroll into town. Cook Street village is a few minutes walk away and I urge anyone to go to The Flying Beagle to relax and wind down. The food and drink is great, and the staff superb.

All in all I don't think that the Dashwood is worth the money we paid to stay there, and it was certainly the worst place we stayed while in Canada. The Dashwood Manor really needs a spruce up to make it what it could be.

Take a Dash from Dashwood

by TripAdvisor Member Diva_ms

The new management at Dashwood has taken this place from a warm, friendly B&B to a cold, overpriced, under-serviced facility never to be recommended.
The house itself has some gorgeous features although some rooms are definitely in need of a major overhaul and not worth the price.
The rooms do not have phones and the new owners will not take messages for guests unless it is an emergency.
Breakfast is at 8:30 with no choice of what you would like to have. Coffee for early risers is not available until 8:30.
Although there is a kitchenette in every room, it is not supplied with anything other than a small coffee maker and two cups. The one pack of (awful) coffee is replenished daily however the creamettes are not. The one small shampoo and bath gel packet is expected to last you 4 days. The small fridge does not have an ice cube tray and requests for ice are denied.

Not at all what I expected given recommendations from friends who stayed there under the previous management.

Stay well away from this place, the city has lots more to offer than Dashwood.

Hated the Dashwood Manor

by TripAdvisor Member travelacrosstheworld

The learned of the Dashwood Manor through their B&B website. Whereas
the website was very nice, the property did not live up to the hype.
This B&B is located in a nice area across the street from the ocean walkway -- but the room was shabby and very disappointing. The B& B itself had and old, musty feel to it. For the money I paid I could have stayed at a much nice B&B or a downtown hotel.

B&B by the Sea

by TripAdvisor Member lisarose

Dashwood manor is a lovely piece of property sitting pretty by Puget Sound. The rooms are spatious, nicely furnished, and comfy. Some have jacuzzis, many have views of the Olympic Mountains and Sound, and all have private bathrooms. The delicious breakfast is full of fresh fruit and favorites like stuffed french toast. Since this is a B&B, the service is very personal, and the manager will personally serve you breakfast and take you on a tour of the manor house.
In terms of location, Dashwood is a bit of a hike into downtown Victoria, but the tradeoff is that you're right on the water. If you're staying here, I would advise renting a car since you'll probably want to explore downtown Victoria and other parts of Vancouver Island.

A little dash would do you

by TripAdvisor Member jadalai

I stayed at the Dashwood a few weeks ago, and while not totally disappointed, did not walk away with satisfied feeling. The other reviews are correct, This is a aged B&B. The bed we had was supposed to be a queen bed, felt very small and ithad a chipped brass headboard, that was not attached very securely, making any movement bang against the wall. The carpets, bedspreads and towels all were showing their age. Our tub had a leak in it that flooded the bathroom. We had no way of turning on the heat the first night we were here. The gardens were not kept up and looked very unprofessional.
You can forget the in room spa, Susan the masseuse, was very rude and unprofessional, not willing to work with the customer. When setting up the appointment, I was told I would get what I would get and would like it. She did not tell me when she would show up for set appointment, nor asked if I had any health issues. I have a dislocated shoulder that she wrenched on. She never once asked me if the pressure was good. When the massage was over my back felt worse than when she started.
I understand the owner might reply to this and say that they would have like to have us talk to them, but they were not around, and were not open to any discussions about their house.
The breakfasts were very hit or miss. Not once during my stay did I say "Wow" great breakfast. Instead, I said the strawberries were good.
The house in a nice quiet neighborhood, and there is a great little diner Rosies down the street.
Overall, it felt like the owners did just enough to keep this place going but did not put any hard work or heart into it.

Perfect location, great hosts

by TripAdvisor Member wade4

Dashwood is delightful. Easy to find, in a cool, quiet neighborhood
with a great pub and lovely park. You can walk to downtown attractions or stroll on the beach -- it's right across the street.
This is not a fussy, frilly kind of B&B, so my husband was very happy there. I was too.
Our host Dave was very accommodating when we had to change our schedule at the last minute.

Lovely place

by TripAdvisor Member Diane98

We stayed for three nights at the Dashwood Manor Bed and Breakfast. This is situated in a beautifull well kept Victorian-style house, with a great view on the ocean. We loved the large well decorated room with it's comfortable beds and a large bathroom. Every morning we were served a fresh made lovely english breakfast. The owners Sharon and Dave are very friendly people and they gave us good advice about trips around the island. It is certainly a lovely place to stay!

Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member Slickhorn

This Bed and Breakfast is located about two miles from the center of town and is located adjacent Beacon Hill Park. It is a wonderfully relaxing location with a terrific view of the Juan de Fuca straits.

Dashwood is a lovely old building that is being upgraded in many respects. The rooms are large and airy, with great views. Breakfasts are more than sufficient and show some real style. E.g., quiche, toast, coffee, juice.

My wife and I chose to walk all over Victoria. Dashwood is a few blocks from Cook's Village which has two coffee shops, a diner, pharmacy, etc. Enough for a quiet spot to relax over a coffee in the evening on your way to or from center city.

Host and hostess were very nice and helped us arrange a whale-watch outing.

I was very pleased.

Congeniality and beauty in Victoria

by TripAdvisor Member levoyageurTexan

Dashwood Manor is exceptional for the beauty of the house as well as the location. However, for us, the highlights of our stay were the charming hosts, the lovely corner room and the gourmet breakfasts. The manor is located directly across from the beach and provides a gorgeous view of the water and the mountain range beyond. It's great for long walks along the shoreline even though its location is only a short drive from the centre of Victoria.
Everyone was extremely helpful and informative. Dave's restaurant recommendations were great!

Loved this B & B

by TripAdvisor Member travelbuff62

This is a lovely bed and breakfast. Our room was perfect with a spectacular view. It was a corner room so we had windows on two sides. The bed was a king and very comfortable. The jacuzzi was great and the whole experience was very good. They put on a wonderful breakfast and the view is fabulous from the breakfast room. I didn't see Sharon but Dave was very helpful. It is expensive but worth the splurge. We had a car so getting around was not a problem. We've stayed in b & b's all over Europe and America and this was one of the nicest.

Terry Fox: Monument near Milepost 0Terry Fox: Monument near Milepost 0

Inside of The PacificInside of The Pacific

Hand Railings on Craigdarroch Castle Main StairsHand Railings on Craigdarroch Castle Main Stairs

Spouting Fish Fountain near Fisherman's Wharf ParkSpouting Fish Fountain near Fisherman's Wharf Park

Transportation from Cruise Terminal to Buchard Gardens

by galthng

What is the easiest way to get from the port where cruise ships dock to the Buchard gardens? I will be on a cruise and would like an easy and economical way to get from point A to point B. Thanks

Re: Transportation from Cruise Terminal to Buchard Gardens

by Jetgirly

How much time do you have?

I'm guessing taxi will be your best bet, but it's not economical. I think it would be about $50 each way (plus tip), so consider sharing with another couple.

Most cruise ships run shuttles into downtown Victoria. From there, you could take a guided tour on a tour bus like Pacific Coach Lines or Gray Line tours, but the schedules might not match up with the time you have available.

There is also infrequent city bus service from downtown to the gardens. See www.bctransit.com for more information. It would be about $3 per person each way, and you would be severly restricted in terms of scheduling.

Keep in mind that the gardens are a long way from the terminal- about forty-five minutes by car (significantly longer in rush hour) and about ninety minutes by city bus. Those are one-way times.

Re: Transportation from Cruise Terminal to Buchard Gardens

by Tobito

you could take a bus or try to find a taxi, but it could be expensive. Perhaps try to share with another person going the same way.

Comments