829 McCallum Road, Victoria, Canada
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Victoria

Details of Antique Wire-Wound Wooden Water PipeDetails of Antique Wire-Wound Wooden Water Pipe

Terry Fox: Monument near Milepost 0Terry Fox: Monument near Milepost 0

Outside Entrance to Royal BC Museum CaféOutside Entrance to Royal BC Museum CafĂ©

Area around Art Gallery has Banners about DisplayArea around Art Gallery has Banners about Display

A few Things in December

by glabah

I am visiting a friend in Seattle in December, and have decided to add a detour to Victoria for two days, via the Victoria Clipper. I've been bringing my passport to Seattle for over a year now and have not yet done a trip to Canada during one of these Seattle excursions!

I had planned to visit Buchart Gardens just to see their Christmas Lights show. However, to add that tour onto the Victoria Clipper trip is some $52 US, but the admissions price is only $25 Canadian. Therefore, it seems to me it would be cheaper to do my own trip there.

However, Google maps seems to put Buchart Gardens waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay north of Victoria. I had always heard that Victoria was not a place you really needed to have an automobile, and so I am wondering if this is the correct place, or if somehow Google maps is grasping the wrong location.

I've attempted to look for Buchart Gardens tips on VT, but havent been that impressed by what I have found so far. For example:
is the first tip that comes up in a VT tip search.

I'm sure there are some very good and well written tips about this famous tourist attraction, but I haven't yet found them!

If the Buchart Gardens is well outside the city, as Google Maps seems to show, how does one get from the Clipper to the Gardens by bus? This is particularly a problem since I curently only have Can$2 from a previous trip, so I will have to aquire bus fare someplace. Is there a ticket vending machine or other fare media system somewhere near the Victoria Clipper terminal? None of the transportation tips I have run across seem to cover that particular item.

One other item I am considering for this trip is taking the train from Victoria up to Courteny, just to see more of the area. Google maps seems to show the Victoria train station as being just across the bay railroad bridge and kinda/sorta nearby the Victoria Clipper terminal, but not exceptionally close. Is this the correct location, or is it throwing me a curve ball?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone has on any of this.

by goodfish

Glenn, you're really travel savvy so I assume you've already found this but just in case....

This covers how to get to Butchart Gardens by all forms of transport, including bus. Looks just tad confusing to me but maybe you'll be able to sort through it?

Yes, it looks to be some distance from downtown Victoria.

by GrumpyDiver

I've never been on my numerous trips to Victoria (not high on my list of priorities). It is located in Brentwood Bay, a town more or less half way from the Airport (and BC Ferries terminal) to Victoria. I seem to remember doing some diving in the area, years ago.

I always rent a car when I am on the Island - things are just too spread out for public transport (unless you want to stick to downtown Victoria itself).

by glabah

Thanks goodfish. I do remember seeing that when I checked at one point, but the big question is, is there a good place to buy bus tickets near the Victoria Clipper terminal?

by Travelbug2010

Here is a link covering all the different options to get to Butchard Gardens.

by glabah

I'm not sure why but other than cutting and pasting from Goodfish's post I never was able to navigate to that particular page on Buchart Gardens web site. I kept winding up at at page that indicated instructions on how to get to the Gardens was still under construction.

It is a very extensive page on how to get there, but their menu system sure had me very lost.

Tourism Victoria does sell transit tickets, and that is reasonably close to the ferry terminal. However, it looks like there is a good possibility that they only sell day tickets there. A 7-Eleven nearby supposedly sells all manner of tickets, including the books of 10. For this trip that might be the best option.

Travel Tips for Victoria

Day Trips to Victoria from Seattle

by darryl.wilson

Your best option is through the Victoria Clipper. It is a high-speed passenger only ferry between Victoria and Seattle. It specializes in day trips to Victoria from Seattle. They also have their own tour bus which they use to take their passengers on excursions right from the boat! Just search Clipper Vacations in Google and you will find a lot of useful information there!

Alternatively, get off the boat and walk to the Victoria Bus Depot. Board the Grayline Butchart Gardens Express. It's an express coach service to Butchart Gardens which will get you to and from the gardens for significantly cheaper than a tour bus and without the hassle of public transit. That should take 3 to 4 hours of your day. Once you are done that, perhaps take one of the narrated bus tours of Victoria which are approximately 1hr 30 minutes long. That will give you a good taste of the city in a short time and as well as some history and background. Finally, save some time to stroll around the inner harbour and do a little bit of shopping. If you have some extra time, pay a visit to the beautiful British Columbia Legislature. It's a great opportunity to indulge in more history and see some incredible architecture while learning about the BC system of government and best of all......the tour is free! What I love most about Victoria is strolling around the Inner Harbour or the Ogden Point Breakwater. You can't beat the scenery and the relaxing stroke of the sun coupled with the cool breeze of the ocean!

Visit Buchart Gardens - among...

by Kisa

Visit Buchart Gardens - among the most fabulous and beautiful in the World! When I am away from Victoria I miss the ocean, the flowers all year round, the gentle climate, the beautiful scenery - just about everything.

Parliament Buildings. ...

by annk

Another landmark in Victoria - the Parliament Buildings. Located on the Inner Harbor, the exterior is elaborately carved and surrounded by 12 acres of lawns, gardens, statues, totem poles. Guided tours are given daily in the summer in several languages. At night the building is lit up with thousands of white lights.

Ride the ferry!

by Carmanah

is being on a BC Ferry for the first time. It was during the summer of 1985, and we were on our way to spend a week in a lakeside cabin in the town of Youbou on Cowichan Lake. Cowichan Lake is north-west of Victoria.

Photo: My mom, my sister Erin and myself (in braids), on the deck of the ferry. You can see the Gulf Islands in the background. Read more about this trip in my travelogue called Cowichan Lake.

be canadian

by chaistarr

take your shoe off upon entering a home. I asked why, no one seemed to know! but ithink its to prevent muddy floors!

people do say "eh" ALOT
and its not "aboot" like everyone teases. its said more like "aboat". and "oatside"
a tuque is a beanie type gangster hat
pasta ...the pas part sounds like "pass" not "paws". same applied to "lava", "mazda" car and so forth
some canadians are kinda anti american. they dont hate us, theyre just quite proud of their country and refused to be called Americans shadow.

Comments