463 Belleville Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8V 1X3, Canada

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• glabah's Profile Photo

Across the Street from Ferries and Parliament

Supposedly, the Hotel Grand Pacific is one of the highest rated hotels in Canada, and at the discount winter price combined with the Victoria Clipper it seemed like a good deal, so I decided to try this one for my January stay.

Certainly, the hotel has lots and lots of services: a complete athletic center, a pool, sauna, steam room, weight room, squash court, business center, and various other amenities. The pool, hot tub and sauna rooms were closed for renovation (which apparently is part of the discount applied) but alternate arrangements were also made available. All rooms came with a letter explaining the situation, and each key card envelope came with a short printed message giving hotel guests various options for nearby hotel pools, and the size of each pool.

I could not hear most of what went on in the nearby rooms, but I could certainly tell when the water was running in one of the other rooms, and could also hear muffled voices from time to time. It wasn't bad at all, and not enough to be disturbing, but at the same time if the hotel is supposedly one of the top rated hotels in Canada you wouldn't expect that.

The room I was in came with a cordless telephone as well as a phone on the desk. The television also had some sort of game controller on it, although I did not examine what was available in terms of games.

All rooms come equipped with a small coffee maker, a container of coffee fixings and cups, two water cups in the bathroom, two more cups on the night stand between the beds, and a container for ice.

There is a refrigerator in the room, but it is built into the television stand, and has a key lock. Presumably this is to keep the children from stealing there parents cold beer? It does not come stocked with anything - instead you must obtain the "mini-bar" type items from the "service professional team" (I'm assuming this is a fancy way of calling it room service?) - not that I am that much into ordering overpriced snacks.... The refrigerator appears to be a thermo-electric type, as it didn't make any noise but was obviously working as it was cold inside. The TV stand is kind of nice: its a very large chest of drawers type so that you don't always have to have the TV staring at you in the face.

I found the bathroom to be quite small. Certainly it was more than adequate to the needs, but still, once again, this is supposed to be one of the best hotels in Canada. The bathroom is so small that some people would probably have trouble moving around in there. There is a narrow corridor created by the sink counter so that if you are slightly wider than reasonably well fit you would have trouble fitting into the space required to use the toilet. This arrangement also places the towel rack some 2.5 meters (some 8 feet) from within reach of the shower. All rooms do not have this arrangement, but even so it makes me wonder if the hotels "modern design" means "not well thought out".

Each room has an in-room safe, with operating instructions in the book that comes in each room.

Internet service is not wireless. Instead, each room has a network jack. The desk has a network cable in the drawer for connecting your computer to the hotel network. However, there is a tag on the bag in which the computer cable comes saying there will be a $10 charge for the cable if you wish to purchase it. As best as I could tell, this means there is no charge for use of the cable, so long as you put it back. However, rather than run the risk of a charge, I just used my own cable.

Unique Quality: There aren't too many larger buildings around this hotel, and as such almost all the rooms have a decent view. If it is a great view or not depends on the weather. "Harbor View" unfortunately also means facing north, which is a fairly busy street. The rooms on the south side of the hotel probably have the best view, though only during clear weather, as the Olympic Mountains are on the other side of the city in that direction, and as of now there aren't too many tall buildings that would block the view.

The hotel is very close to the ferry terminals, and across the street from parliament, and right in the middle of the tourist section of the city, so it is hard to complain about the location.

There are several restaurants in the hotel, both on the ground floor.

The balconies are very small, and each has only one plastic patio chair. Many of them have structural supports for the balcony above, so it isn't as if the view from here is completely unobstructed. However, they are at least balconies, so that you can have somewhat of a view. Many of them appear to be designed to offer as good a view as possible without interfering with the view from the other balconies.

Services available include hair cuts, spa treatments, massage, and an assortment of other things that I had no interest in using.

Directions: One block west of the parliament buildings, across the street from the Black Ball ferry terminal, and about two blocks east and across the street from the Victoria Clipper terminal.

• grasshopper_6's Profile Photo

Great value off season

I have nothing but good things to say about The Grand Pacific. The location is right at the inner harbor near the ferry terminal. The room was clean and spacious. I was checked in and out without any complications.
    This was a much more opulent hotel than I would normally choose, but booked as an off season package with passage on the Victoria Clipper it was too good a value to pass up.

Unique Quality: I was very happy to find computers with internet access at the cafe in the lower lobby.

Directions: Inner Harbr

• pauldgnewton's Profile Photo

Top Hotel

Fantastic hotel. I must say that we were upgraded to the Premier Suite which is the best room I have ever stayed in. Don't know why but will never forget it.

Unique Quality: Four poster bed with wooden steps up to reach the bed, whirlpool bath in one of the two bathrooms!

More about Hotel Grand Pacific

Great Stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific in victoria BC

by TripAdvisor Member vacationinitaly

we recently stayed at the Hotel Grand Pacific - located right on the lovely picturesque harbour of Victoria - our room - a one bedroom suite ( an upgrade) -had a beautiful harbour view - from its 3 large windows - 2 large queen sized beds, a day bed /recliner at the window allowed us to watch the float planes land and take off; I fell ill during my stay - mgmt was fantastic - arranging medical care - and more; staff was all very friendly and effecient; location great for sight seeing - close ( walking distance) to all shops and restaurants - I work in the travel industry - renting villas and high end properties in Italy and elsewhere and was very pleased with the accomodation and service - easily comparable to top european hotels
definatey worth while.

Outstanding!!!

by TripAdvisor Member dstx4

We chose all our hotels for our trip using the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were given the best advice! The Hotel Grand Pacific was beautiful!! It is centrally located and right near the Inner Harbour. It is very clean and the staff was very friendly. The bell boys always greeted us and remembered to ask about places they suggested for us to visit. The pool area was huge as well as the fitness room. There was a steam and a sauna room as well. It was a great place to work out. The only problem was I think it also acts as a local gym so it was quite busy. The jacuzzi was filled!! Overall, the Hotel Grand Pacific was a wonderful stay!!!

Romantic get away

by TripAdvisor Member another_mother

My husband surprised me with a Valentines Day romantic get away on Monday, Feb. 14th, 2005.
We enjoyed a 5 course dinner and cocktails & wine at 'The Mark' (a private room of the restaurant on the main floor, reserved that night for couples). I received a lovely sprig of freesia from the maitre 'd, which was a sweet touch on Valentine's Day!
We returned to our suite to find the turn down service had been to our room ... there were rose petals on our pillows, champagne chilling in a bucket, chocolate covered strawberries, an aromatherapy packet (massage oil, tangerine bath oil, lavender essential oil with a diffuser, and lavender tea). There were robes and slippers set out for our comfort also. We had a glorious view of the Inner Harbour and spent a few minutes on our balcony mesmerized by the twinkling lights and cool air.
We had arranged for our Morning Romance Menu breakfast to be delivered at 8:30 am. I was again surprised with a long stemmed red rose, along side our 3 course breakfast!
We have stayed at a few other hotels in our own hometown before, but this was extraordinary!
Thank you to the helpful restaurant, room service & front desk staff, and the extremely talented kitchen staff for making this Valentine's Day our best EVER!!

Loved the Grand

Just returned from a 2 night stay and had a wonderful time. Were pleasantly upgraded to a luxury suite that had 3 balconies, a king canopy bed,dining room /living room, and hardwood floors. The service was excellent, the views of the harbour lovely. The pool and gym excellent. Went to the Blue Crab for dinner and had terrific meals both times. Have tea at Murchies or breakfast it is fantastic!

great people, great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tiger62z

We stayed here three nights in last July. I decided to pick this hotel after reading those reviews on this Web site. The location is great, very convenient, the room was clean, nice albeit a little small. We were very satisfied. There was an incident happened during our stay. I lost one of my credit cards in the hotel coffee shop and I hadn't realized that util I went to check out. The reception lady asked me whether I had lost my credit card. (Actually, the hotel called me and left a voice message in the room on the same day I lost my card but I didn't check the message.) I was so thankful and very impressed by the great service they provided the employees they hired and well trained. We will definitely stay here again when we come back next time.

Not at the Grand Pacific!

by TripAdvisor Member Juma

For the last 7 years Wolsingham School, England,UK, has travelled to Vancouver Island on their annual 6th Form trip. We have stayed in various hotels in Vancouver & Victoria and have had very few reasons to moan let alone complain. The Canadians are so helpful and friendly. We have just returned - 2 April - another fantastic trip - 27 People this time, a mix of students, teachers and younger family members. Sometimes it seems that when a school party books a trip they are rewarded with annex rooms, back of hotel rooms and broom cupboards (especially in Europe) NOT AT THE GRAND PACIFIC!!!!! we all had harbour facing, fantastic rooms. The facilities are fantastic - if the jacuzzi was full it was probably us - sorry!
The staff were very helpful from the reception to restaurant and the bell boys, concierge etc were always ready with a smile & a joke. Milestones restaurant was very popular with our group and the museum is brill.
We are already planning for 2006 and the G.P. is definately on the itinerary.

Comments