Ingraham Hotel

Travelocity Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 28% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Victoria

Farms and Crops part of Burnside Heritage MuralFarms and Crops part of Burnside Heritage Mural

Totems a Huge Part of Public Art in VictoriaTotems a Huge Part of Public Art in Victoria

Origin Gluten-Free Bakery on Pandora AvenueOrigin Gluten-Free Bakery on Pandora Avenue

Many Artworks, Small Displays hidden in Side HallsMany Artworks, Small Displays hidden in Side Halls

Afternoon tea at The Empress - worth it?

by Karlie85

Hey everyone. I'll be visiting Victoria from March 10-14 and staying at the Empress (don't worry, I got a REALLY GOOD deal!). I've read a lot about the Empress and the afternoon tea. A lot of people (including my mother in law) think it's great, a very unique experience, etc. But, a lot of people also think it's overpriced, etc.

I'm the type of person that likes to try things that I wouldn't do normally, things that people would say "Oh, you have to go do _____ when you're in ____", and to me this seems kind of like one of those things.

So, is it worth it to go for the experience, even though it's pricey? Or no?

by royalempress

We have stayed at the Empress and visited Victoria often. Even though we have not actually experienced the tea we know lots of people who have. I think it is a nice experience but not for us. It is too formal for me and kind of a little pompous. Now I probably and wrong about the pompous part but thats my impression. Overall I think it would be a fun experience.

by Greggor58

Hi Karlie...you know...Ive lived in Victoria about a fifteen minute walk to the Empress and I visit often......and honestly Ive NEVER done it..But I would have liked to...
I think you're right..when we're somewhere special...we really should participate in the local "things to do"...even if it is touristy...
Ive heard its a little pricey...but heh..we're only here once right...or maybe not.
Have fun in Victoria...Its one of my fav places to hang out ANYWHERE!!!

by rexvaughan

We did it several years ago and thought it was very worth doing. I didn't feel it was pretentious. If I remember I wore a jacket and tie, but am not sure it was a requirement.

by Roadquill

I think you should try it. I am not a big high tea person, but I always like experience some of the unique things to do. It is overpriced - but you are not going to miss the money, but high teas seem to be that way. The Brit Museum is worthwhile but the adjacent IMAX is not. We enjoyed some of the wineries and Butchart Gardens is a must see. Karl

by Ginda

Yes, it's an overpriced "ceremony"(!?) but for experience, I would recommend it. For a coffee-kind of person, I still remember the experience. Enjoy!

by Karlie85

Thanks everybody! I just booked it :)
And since it's March, it's a little bit "cheaper" - $44/person.

by riorich55

Saw you other forum posting, so I thought I would give you our impressions of the high tea. After our day at Butchart Gardens we booked the 5:00 p.m. (?) High Tea. It was obviously high priced, but a very pleasant experience. I did not wear a suit or tie, but was dressed in a business casual mode. From what I remember (it has been 6 years ago) the tea was very good and the plate offerings were plenty so that we did not have any need for dinner later in the evening. We had had lunch earlier in the day at Butchart.

by travelgourmet

Karlie, glad you booked the High Tea. It is well worth the social grace of enjoying tea in a refined manner. If you are not objectionable to animal hides ( a tiger hide ) on the wall, the Bengal Lounge has a wonderful curry buffet for both lunch and dinner that was one of the high lights of being at the Empress. Shades of the Bengal Lancers of the British Army of the 19th century.

Travel Tips for Victoria

Nice walk way along the water

by Minka007

There are too many things to do!
And all what I've done there is my favourite, I'm in love with that place forever!
Inner Harbour is beautiful and there are many attractions... http://www.victoriabc.ca/victoria/parliamentbuildings.htm

I would take them to the inner...

by Victoriab

I would take them to the inner harbour in front of the world famous Empress Hotel, to the museum accross the street from the Empress, and then a leisurely walk to Beacon Hil Park which is Victoria's largest. I'd also take whomever to China Block, which at one time was the largest China town on the continent. I especially like to take that someone for a drive along the west coast of the island, and see some of the breathtaking beaches. Two of my favorites are China Beach and French Beach. I haven't been away, as I actually just moved here in 1996, but if I were to be away, the thing I would miss the most, if I happened to be on the mainland, would be the sea. I love the sea, the way it smells, sounds, everything. I'd also miss the WestBay Walkway; it's a beautiful picturesque walk into town.

Inside the Parliament Buildings

by meteorologist1

Inside the Parliament Buildings you can learn a little about the history of Victoria. You will also notice that Victoria indeed has a strong British connection. There were many royal visits to this area of British Columbia including Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

The essence

by Sharrie

Oh No! I'm thinking too much again.
Haha... my braincells are hyperactive.
But, let's enjoy the flowers & just absorb its essence...
Oh Yes! That's it! The essence... I knew it! That's why we like them so much!

A low key Chinatown.

by worldkiwi

Victoria's Chinatown is very small and low key, compared to what I later saw in San Francisco. However, it is historical, seeing as Chinese migrants were a feature of the earliest British settlement here. The main street of Chinatown sports a gateway at its eastern end and interesting shops. Apart from that, there's not a heck of a lot to see here.
The Chinatown is a wee walk out of the main hotel areas.

Comments