Queen Victoria Hotel And Suites

655 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8V 2P9, Canada

• Good Value, Great Location

WE stayed for 5 nights. Great value $99/night, and even better location, a block from the Inner Harbour. A bit disappointed that with the city/harbour view we could only see the Harbour from out on the balcony or standing right at the far end of the inside balcony window... we tried the Restaurant Samuels the first night. While the people and food were good, the service was far to slow... we didn't go back. The room was good and again, the location was very very good. Walking distance to many major attractions and shopping. Cheaper than any other similar place in the area @ the time.

Directions: 1 block from the Inner Harbour.

• Queen Victoria Hotel

Have stayed about half dozen times. Hotel is subperbly located, about 1/2 block from Empress and one long block from Inner Harbor. Rooms are comfortable, fairly large, and well maintained. Staff is professional and helpful. Restaurant is not one you would walk three miles to find, but it is more than adeqate. Room rates have been rising substantially in recent years, but are still fairly reasonable. All in all it's the best overall place we have found in Victoria.

More about Queen Victoria Hotel And Suites

Great value for the money

by TripAdvisor Member vicbc34

The Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites was a wonderful place to stay -- we booked something like 6 rooms, suites and such when we celebrated our wedding in Victoria. The staff were incredible with meeting all of our needs and assisting us! I give this place an excellent review as the rooms were clean, spacious and the hotel's lobby is gorgeous -- we had champage toasts right in the lobby after our wedding. We all had a lovely time!

never again!!

by TripAdvisor Member jpenergy

Myself and two friends just spent a night at the Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites and I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone. I will say that the one positive was that it was clean, aside from that it was very disappointing.
First the staff at the front desk was aloof and not very friendly, and that's okay I can get over that but the room that was given to us was over some doors on the first floor and all we heard for hours after we went to bed were people coming in and out and doors being slammed. I would just start to fall back to sleep and sure enough be woken up again by the noise downstairs. The faucet in the bathroom sink had no cold water only scorching hot water came out of the tap so you either brushed your teeth over the tub or you risked burning your mouth. Lastly but certainly not least when I got up in the morning and went in to the bathroom I turned on the fan and sat down to use the toilet and was showered with cold water coming out of the fan on the ceiling.(Maybe we should have used that water to brush our teeth!) Anyways I am not someone who has ever written in to a site before but I would not want to stay there again and I know from experience that there are many great places in Victoria to stay and this is NOT one of them!!

Dump

by TripAdvisor Member NBForrest

Booked the hotel after viewing their website. The hotel looks nothing like the pictures and written descriptions on the web. The carpet in the hallways and our room was filthy. The elevators are almost non-functional(small and you have to wait forever). The room looked like it is out of the 70s, old, worn, out of style furniture. The bed blankets were old and ragged. There was hair on the sheets. The air conditioning didn't work properly,(was unbearably hot). There was a foul smell in the hallways,(chemical smell). We immediately went out and found another hotel and ask for our money back. They refused to refund our money. This is the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

Very pleasant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WashState

My friend and I just made a quick trip to Victoria and spent one night at this hotel. I was a little concerned based on the reviews but we both thought it was just fine! The rooms were quite clean and the bathroom was downright sparkling! We were there July 17 and the weather was sunny and cool so we did not notice the lack of air conditioning - in fact it was great because we could open the window and get fresh air, unusual for most hotels. The location is convenient for walking around the city and the front desk staff were friendly and polite. I would recommend it.

Convenient Location

by TripAdvisor Member lov2cr8

Everything you would want to see is pretty much in walking distance from this hotel, which is certainly its high point. It also was pretty reasonably priced. The rooms were clean, and nicely appointed. The bathrooms are nicely tiled and the sink area has marble countertops, but they give you the minimal amount of towels. An extra one or two would have been nice.

I was aware of the fact that this hotel does not have air conditioning, but also knew that they did have windows that opened so I was willing to take my chances on being comfortable in my room with the windows opened if it were to be warm. Unfortunately, they do not have screens on the windows, so flying insects were joining me in my room, and that was quite annoying. Regardless of the windows being opened or closed, it was very noisy and difficult to sleep. There was lots of car, truck and motorcycle noise on the streets below way into the wee hours of the night. Beware, that one side of the building will have rooms overlooking the parking lot and the rooftop of an ugly structure. One of the positve features of the hotel is that there is on site parking. The lot is quite small though, and fills up quickly. The elevator was teeny tiny, but worked fine. And last but not least, the staff was doing their job, but that was about it. They were not very friendly, and did not go out of their way to make us feel welcomed. All in all, a good place if you are on a budget, but if you can stretch your budget, do so!

Do Not Stay Here!

by TripAdvisor Member travelingmariah

I booked this hotel after viewing the website, what a disappointment. The place is so dirty and outdated. They also misquoted me the price of 126.08$ over the phone, but then charged me 165.00$ when I checked out. When I mentioned this, the clerk at the front desk then went to get the manager. The manager was exceptionally rude, condescending, and made a huge scene before I had spoken a word to him. I was really embarrassed and felt like I wanted to cry. I would rather sleep in a tent than stay at this hotel again!

Mariah

How is Swans Suite Hotel? need advice!

by fishya

Could some give us advices with Swans Suite Hotel? (like rooms, breakfast, parking, services, location,etc.)We will spend 2 nights at Victoria in early August.
We searched other hotels like:
Dominion Grand Hotel
Queen Victoria Hotel Suites

By the way, has anyone read the new edition (9th) of Canada by Lonely Planet?
A little disappointed with it once I compared it with this forum. Would like to know others' comments.

Thanks!

RE: How is Swans Suite Hotel? need advice!

by rmdw

I've never been in this hotel though know exactly where it is. It looks like a fine place and has a restaurant/pub that is very popular. I'd say that one of the downsides is that it's on the edge of a seedy area of Victoria. Across the street is a homeless shelter of sorts. This shouldn't cause much problem except that parking one's car in this area might be risky. Another strategy might be to park your car in a secured lot a few blocks away and just walk to/from.

If you do go, then just around the corner on Store Street is a fabulous Japanese restaurant that was one of my favourites when I lived in Victoria a few years ago!

Robert

RE: How is Swans Suite Hotel? need advice!

by suziezed

I agree with the previous poster that although Swans has a great location in terms of walking distance to various attractions it is on the edge of a somewhat 'divey' area. Another concern is that the lot right next to Swans is being developed as a condo project (www.bambu.ca) so that could mean noise, dust etc. Last time I walked by they hadn't even started digging the foundation so I don't know what stage they'll be at by August.

I've been to the bar in Swans a couple of times and by all appearances I would expect the rooms to be very nice. I believe their restaurant (Wild Saffron) is also quite well thought of.

I am going to a wedding in the Penthouse Suite there on August 6th so if you're coming after that I'd be happy to let you know what it's like :)

Susan

RE: RE: How is Swans Suite Hotel? need advice!

by fishya

Guys,

Thank you all ver much for the detail informations!
Very helpful!!