The Boathouse

746 Sea Dr., Brentwood Bay, Victoria, British Columbia, VM8 1B1, Canada
Priceline.com

More about Victoria

Benches at Shipyard Viewpoint have Cup HoldersBenches at Shipyard Viewpoint have Cup Holders

Facing Straight of Juan de Fuca and Olympic MtnsFacing Straight of Juan de Fuca and Olympic Mtns

Sign on Bizarre Protest SculptureSign on Bizarre Protest Sculpture

underwater auditorium for "live dive" showunderwater auditorium for "live dive" show

What is One Thing I Should Do on My Evening Visit?

by ghannan

My cruise ship is coming in for one evening this summer from 7:30-midnight. What would you suggest that I make sure my husband and I do while in Victoria for the evening? Basically, what shouldn't I miss if this is the ONE time I will be in Victoria? Thanks in advance for your help!

by oldguy472003

It's been ages since I was in Victoria but I think I would stroll over to the Empress Hotel and have a drink in the Bengal Lounge. Live miusic on the weekends. Dress code.
If it comes across as too stuffy for your tastes you can always just stroll the grounds and enjoy the evening.

by nospam

Due to the lack of time, I'd stick to the downtown area, take a cab for the 5 minute ride. Victoria is famous for it's safe and beautiful marina area, all of these listed attractions are within walking distance;

Government Street-Pedestrian street with tons of shops (also the boardering Old Towne area for strolls/shopping)

Imax/Provincial Museum/Underseas Garden/Wax Museum

China Town with quaint shops and a maze of backstreets

The landmark Empress Hotel for a stroll through

Pubs/restaurants in all numbers and styles to choose from

You will notice large crowds by the marina attending the magicians/jugglers/artists/who put on shows for the crowds

Take a harbour ferry tour on one of the little ferry boats

The buildings are lit up with lights, the area has a festive atmosphere, a party ambience AND it can be very romantic, enjoy!

by ghannan

Thank you both! That was very helpful!

by Jetgirly

What is open and what is closed will depend a lot on the day of the week. Your best bet will probably be the Empress, as you can stop there for drink or just have a wander through the hotel and the grounds (as mentioned above). Across Belleville Street from the Empress is Thunderbird Park, which is a collection of totem poles. They are worth a look as well, particularly before it gets dark. If you continue walking along Government Street you will get to Chinatown (it's about eight blocks), with the Gates of Harmonious Interest and some good photo opportunities. If it's a Saturday night, the Royal BC Museum MAY be open (last summer they were open until 10:00 on Friday and Saturday nights, but it coincided with a blockbuster temporary exhibit).

Travel Tips for Victoria

Just walk around and enjoy the...

by unigirl

Just walk around and enjoy the beauty of the city! Victoria is not a very big place, and you can easily walk most of it over a day or two. Of course, it helps if the weather is nice...however, Victoria won't lose it's charm even in the rain!

Friendly help and easy booking service.

by worldkiwi

The Victoria Visitor Information Centre on the waterfront is a busy spot where tourists and travellers can get friendly advice and make bookings for onward land transport or accommodation. I booked my ticket to/from Butchart Gardens here. The total price of the bus ticket (return) and entrance to the gardens was C$35. I also booked and paid for my Victoria Clipper trip to Seattle here.

This is SAMMY our VERY BIG...

by pjallittle

This is SAMMY our VERY BIG Maine coon cat. At 20+ pounds, they don't come much larger or prettier.

When you expand the picture, be VERY CAREFUL as he is sitting on a roof and might jump! I am afraid I did not reduce the size enough, you will get a real closeup if you don't mind.

Go ahead, BE BRAVE!

Afternoon Tea - A Must-Experience!

by meteorologist1

While you're in Victoria, you're in a city with a British heritage. We especially enjoyed the British tradition of afternoon tea (at the Butchart Gardens). You get served fresh hot tea and a huge selection of tea sandwiches and homemade sweets. You have to experience it if you've never had it or heard of it in your life.

This is probably true in any...

by ldahl

This is probably true in any tourist city, but it is important to remember that people do actually live here and sometimes don't have time to deal with gawking tourists. My pet peeve is when I am trying to get somewhere and a group stops dead in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture of something. I'm all for taking pictures (there are many beautiful sites in Victoria) but please move off to the side of the walkway so people can get by you!

Comments