3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 80% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about The Oswego Hotel

Terrific Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member travelersK&W

We just completed a one night stay at the Oswego Hotel. We were in a one bedroom unit on the 8th floor. The unit was fantastic and very clean. we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful both at the front dest and the restaurant.

The complimentary breakfast was nicely done with fresh pastries, toast and a variety of fruits, meats, chesses and cereals. We would highly recommend this hotel and definitely stay here again.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member alenas12

The Oswego hotel was AMAZING. It was 1 block away from ferry stations, downtown and just a 10min walk from all the main attractions. We had a 2 bedroom suite, which was beautiful. I could live there.
It was very clean, they had fresh Granny Smith Apples for the guests.
The soap and lotion smelled very good.
The restaurant downstairs was great for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The staff was very polite, nice and welcoming. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.
PLUS: great for kids, pets and all

One of my favorite hotels

by TripAdvisor Member seattlesound

The Oswego Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in the world. The staff was incredibly nice and courteous. The 1-bedroom suite felt new and was the size of a normal apartment. The amenities were excellent - the suite had a full kitchen, two flat-panel TVs, a french press, etc. The European-style breakfast buffet was quite good as well with fresh fruit, pastries, meats, and soft-boiled eggs. The location was ideal, just two blocks off the harbor walkway down from the Victoria Clipper port. Everything was easily accessible yet the noise and congestion was avoidable. The only downside was no pool and the fitness center was a converted room.

Great stay, very friendly staff, love it

by TripAdvisor Member PrinceandPrincessMom

We just returned from a two nights stay at the Oswego Hotel during the Victoria long weekend. We loved it, everyone had a wonderful time. We have two children, 5 and 9 years old. Cleaniness is my number one priority when choosing a hotel. Oswego is new, clean, modern, luxurious, and spacious. What more can you ask for? We booked a one bedroom but were upgraded to a two-bedrooms. Granite countertop in the full size large well appointed kitchen. The coffee powder and the ice cubes were freshly prepared the day when we checked in. The music on the radio was softly playing when we entered our suite. There are three flat screen TVs, two bathrooms, both have granite countertop, shower, and full size bath. Beds were very comfortable. We are fortunate enough to have stayed in many of the top hotels during our various trips around the world, Pan Pacific being the number one on our list, Oswego is my number two. Considered the price difference between the two, Oswego gives you way more bang for the buck. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the breakfast is healthy. We will definitely come back.

Undecided

by TripAdvisor Member TheSchu's

We stayed in a two bedroom unit. It smelled of smoke, even though it was a non-smoking unit. The blinds were cheap and kept closed due to the dirt factor of the windows. The kitchen was small, but decorated very nicely. The bathrooms were spacious and clean. Beautiful robes to wear. The carpet seemed to be unclean. Don't move the furniture or you will be sick. Comfortable beds and nice balconies, although the neighbours look right into your room. Close to downtown and the Harbour House restaurant which was very good. The hotel and restaurant way too expensive for the lack of cleanliness and smell.

Hip and Modern

by TripAdvisor Member FamousAmos3110

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. It's a great location if you don't mind walking an extra block or two to get to the Inner Harbour area. It's on the edge of the quieter James Bay. Ask for a room with a view of the bay and you can watch cruise ships dock and on a clear day you'll get a view of the mountains in Olympic Park in Washington State. Unfortunately, there are no views of the Inner Harbour due to the towering hotel next door.
The decor is sort of "modern-lodge" and very clean and sharp looking. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and really enjoyed the kitchen, in which we could keep basic food items so that we didn't have to eat every meal out. Be warned that if you book on Expedia (and I would guess any other site like it) that the continental breakfast is NOT included. You will find free coffee and French press in your room every day for breakfast, though.
The O Bistro downstairs is a good place to eat. Small menu, but the entrees are tasty. We particularly enjoyed the smoked sablefish. The desserts are also delicious and we stopped by for wine and dessert several evenings. Their wine list is local and fairly extensive.
The staff is quite young and very helpful. I really don't think we saw anyone over 25 working there! They always answered our questions and requests with a smile.
A few nice places to eat in the vicinity - several blocks to the west on Superior you'll find La Superior, by far the funkiest place we ate. Barb's Fish & Chips is a few blocks away on Fisherman's Wharf, and you'll get to see the houseboats as well. And Santiago's has some eclectic food one block north on Oswego.
A few downsides - breakfast not included with Expedia booking, the housekeeping staff ran the dishwasher when there were only a few dishes in it, no pool.
Overall, I would highly recommend giving it a try. We'll stay there again!

Home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member Kabe79

What a pleasant surprise. The Oswego is a very new hotel & the room (well apartment really) was fitted out really nicely.
Our room had a bedroom, living room, small dining room, fully equiped kitchen & a nice big bathroom. The staff were very friendly & helpfull.
The location was pretty good. It was very close to the Inner Harbour tourist hub but just off the beaten path enough to be nice & quiet.

It was easily to best hotel we've stayed in ever & we didn't want to leave..

Excellent location, very nice room, reasonable price

by TripAdvisor Member craigkl

We selected the Oswego the night before arriving in Victoria when we found TripAdvisor's #1 selection in our budget range, the Royal Scot, was fully booked. This was actually great luck, because the Oswego turned out to be much nicer than a motel-type property, with a spacious room, a nicely-equipped kitchenette, and a large bathroom with separate shower and tub as well as a view.

Victoria is a great walking-around city, and while the Oswego isn't in the dead center of town (that would be the Fairmont Empress, for at least double the price), it is no more than a quarter-mile away, which shouldn't be a negative to any but the completely sedentary. In fact, for our purposes (taking the ferry to Port Angeles after our last night's stay), the location was ideal, only a short two blocks from the ferry terminal. We were able to park our car at the (guarded) loading dock the night before, making it a snap to get right on the next morning.

We booked through Expedia, saving around $40 off the listed price, though as other reviewers have noted the Expedia rate does not include the breakfast. To us that was not a problem, given the kitchenette and the option of picking up breakfast items nearby. Of course you could probably purchase the Oswego's breakfast if you desired or go to one of many nearby restaurants.

The room was very nice, modern, and "cool", with a deck and satellite TV. The wall bed could be easily folded up if you
wanted more room. Our only (minor) negative was that the room was not cleaned until about 4 pm, but a two-person crew was in and out in a matter of minutes, and contrary to one of the other reviews we found everything to be very clean.

About as nice a place as we've ever stayed; highly recommended.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Cindy12388

I stayed here with my spouse and two toddlers for a week and cannot say enough good things about it. The hotel is on a quiet street in a residential area but just a couple of blocks away from the start of the where travellers would want to go. It is new, in excellent condition, and very well appointed (comfy beds, thick clean linens, granite counters, clean upholstery). We had a great balcony that was perfect to lounge on while our children napped in the afternoons. I had no concerns about letting my kids play in our very clean room. The staff were excellent with us and our kids. They called me on my cell to tell me that my room was ready for early check in which was perfect with young kids. A couple of areas that need to be improved: the staff themselves oftentimes do not know information about the hotel and give incorrect information (I was prewarned about this by other Tripadvisors). I had to phone three times (receiving contradictory information each time) before I felt confident that the last fellow I spoke with knew what he was talking about. During our stay the front desk clerk repeatedly gave me incorrect information about laundry machines (and so you know everything that she did not: there is a laundry room on the 4th floor if I recall correctly, with two washers and dryers, you have to pay for it and can get change at the front desk where you can also buy detergent). We learned only on check out that we'd been charged for breakfast every morning as part of our room fee; unfortunately nothing in our documentation told us that and we weren't told on check in either. I mentioned this to the clerk but she could not have been less interested (it was such a great stay, however, that I did not ask to speak with a manager about a reduction in fees). I did write to the hotel after to tell them all the good and what needs to be improved. I will stay here every time we go to Victoria, which is often.

Looking Towards Road from Museum CaféLooking Towards Road from Museum CafĂ©

View over Straight of Juan de Fuca to Olympic MtnsView over Straight of Juan de Fuca to Olympic Mtns

Entrance to Craigdarroch CastleEntrance to Craigdarroch Castle

Float Plane in downtown Victoria Inner HarbourFloat Plane in downtown Victoria Inner Harbour

Clubs

by Andreys

Hey guys.. me and few of my friends are thinking of going to Victoria for few days and here in USA you can go to a club if your 18 not the bar thoe, was just wondering is there any clubs in Victoria that you gotta be not 19 to go to? i am short few month.

Re: Clubs

by Carmanah

Hehe, too cute Ex-Mainer! ;)

To be honest, Victoria's not really thought of as a great Canadian nightlife destination. Sure, there are nightclubs there, but there aren't that many. And unfortunately, no, if you can't provide 2 pieces of government ID proving you're 19 years old, you won't be allowed in the establishment at all.

The only place where you would be allowed in, however, are brew-pub type restaurants. You might want to try gaining access to the Sticky Wicket, which is a 4 storey tall pub/restaurant/nightclub. As far as I remember, you can easily enter that place without providing any ID - but they might ask to see if you order a drink inside.

So my advice? Don't bother with nightclubs, as they check IDs on the way in. But try the Sticky Wicket.

Re: Clubs

by Jetgirly

No clubs or pubs for you. At restaurants they will ID you for drinks and you need two pieces of government issued ID to show you're nineteen or over. Tge Sticky Wicket has a pub side that you can't enter and a family restaurant side where you could go for food but not alcoholic drinks.

Comments